Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold weather MPG  (Read 2863 times)

alfie

• Gwent
    • Mondeo Ghia estate tdci
    • View Profile
Cold weather MPG
« on: 12 February 2017, 15:54:27 »

Hi,this thread should only concern diesel motors I think.do you notice a reduction in mpg during the winter months. I usually get about 55 mpg,at the moment it,s 50,is it because the diesel is colder/thicker,.                           
                                                                                      alfie

2boxerdogs

Re: Cold weather MPG
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2017, 15:57:04 »

Had a Mazda diesel from new 2002 ran it for 8 years mpg was always constant , the diesel Hyundai I have now does not vary either.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2017, 16:03:50 »

Nope, it's because the ambient temperature is lower, requiring the ecu to add more fuel in order to bring the engine upto normal temperature  ;)

Affects all engines regardless of fuel type. That said you should also notice a slight increase in peformance with cold dense air ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2017, 16:45:08 »

Hi,this thread should only concern diesel motors I think.do you notice a reduction in mpg during the winter months. I usually get about 55 mpg,at the moment it,s 50,is it because the diesel is colder/thicker,.                           
                                                                                      alfie

The only thing getting thicker is your inlet manifold walls  :D (See other thread)

Most diesel cars have no throttle butterfly so can't control volume of air entering engine; and can only fuel to suit this volume of air.  More power/torque will be produced, but it's wasted unless you're towing something.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2017, 17:12:54 »

Nope, it's because the ambient temperature is lower, requiring the ecu to add more fuel in order to bring the engine upto normal temperature  ;)

Affects all engines regardless of fuel type. That said you should also notice a slight increase in peformance with cold dense air ;)
[/highlight]

I believe this to be true.

A car engine should develop significantly more power at 32F than it does at 90F.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2017, 19:22:21 »

Plus in winter the electrical load is higher, which will reduce mpg
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2017, 20:05:09 »

Has never made any difference whatsoever to my mpg in my diesel vehicles which have been used throughout the year in all weathers. Always kept a record of  fuel costs & mpg.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2017, 09:51:29 »

I see a bit off a drop as it takes longer for the engine to warm up (cold air is very good at cooling the engine down)

STEMO

Re: Cold weather kl
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2017, 20:08:54 »

My cars return a worse mpg in winter......cause I sit warming the bastards up for 15 minutes before we go anywhere.  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2017, 20:41:22 »

Yup, I get a drop too as I leave them to warm up while getting ice off. Plus with Leather the bum warmers have to be on for a good part of the journey.

That said I averaged 59mpg on the way to work this morning, 340 miles and just nudged over half a tank used.  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2017, 04:58:49 »

Yup, I get a drop too as I leave them to warm up while getting ice off. Plus with Leather the bum warmers have to be on for a good part of the journey.

That said I averaged 59mpg on the way to work this morning, 340 miles and just nudged over half a tank used.  :)
320 miles outof my last tank, and I bet I had more fun in the process :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2017, 08:59:47 »

Lol, I see VW nobbled the fuel computer as well as the emissions then

Given they have a 70 litre tank then half a tank is about 7.5 gallons......which gives a calculated 49mpg

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2017, 09:35:24 »

Given they have a 70 litre tank then half a tank is about 7.5 gallons......which gives a calculated 49mpg

Which is easily doable,my old 200k A3td will do that all day long :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2017, 09:44:59 »

Given I had a crappy run last week, when the M3 was bust and it was stop start all the way, I'm happy at 49 over the course of a tank. It's been used around town a fair bit as well over this tank. I have seen 720+ miles from a tank on run up norf.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2017, 09:46:48 »

Which is easily doable,my old 200k A3td will do that all day long :y

That 1.9 or the 2.0? - I was late for an event at the weekend, spanked it there with 90mph odd cruise and heavy right foot from junctions. Still averaged 47mpg  :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.