Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil leaks  (Read 1999 times)

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
Oil leaks
« on: 03 February 2017, 03:21:54 »

My CD is in for a major service next week and the team at Wilbury suspect the cam cover gaskets are weeping, I also seem to be getting an oil leak from the bell housing of her automatic gearbox and there's some debate as to were that's coming from (engine or gearbox, anyone able to shed light on the most likely problem?
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2017, 05:54:15 »

My guess is the rear crank seal on the engine. Mine has been leaking for years, but i keep ignoring it because of the work involved in changing it. In my case the leak is quite small so i just top up the oil whenever the mid tells me to:p

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2017, 07:50:19 »

Are you sure oil leak is definitely from the bellhousing and not simply the oil leaking from the cam covers going around the bellhousing and dripping off the bottom?If definitely from the housing then the colour of the oil could give a clue.Auto box oil should be a pinky/red colour or  show signs of such accounting for dirt etc,while engine oil should be.....well engine oil coloured really.If it is engine oil I would say that rear crank seal would be favourite suspect,but as ever could be wrong!

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2017, 09:01:52 »

The cam leak is tiny and really weeping rather than pouring.
There's a clear fluid all over the top of the sump (I suspect water pump or bearings) as I've topped the coolant up unexpectedly and it's due the 4yearly cam service.
The oil level is good but clearly the bell housing has oil around it, I wasn't sure if the flywheel would be duel mass or even if they were fitted to Omega automatic?

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2017, 12:10:28 »

No flywheel on an automatic. You have a thin flex plate with a heavy converter bolted to it.

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2017, 12:19:44 »

I guess that's one less thing to leak,  Anyone on here had the rear end seal done and dare I ask a price?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2017, 13:36:47 »

£20 for the seal and circa £200inc labour ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2017, 13:45:37 »

It's pointless people guessing where the oil is coming from, you'll know when someone looks at it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2017, 17:35:50 »

It's pointless people guessing where the oil is coming from, you'll know have some ideas when someone looks at it.

Fixed. Often it's not until you start taking things apart, or clean it up completely and then watch for it to return, that you know.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2017, 22:50:43 »

Looks like I've had a lucky if expensive escape, for those who haven't seen my thread on Wilbury body shop MOT service centre Hitchin the oil cooler was leaking and I'm guessing failed not far from Wilbury.
I took her in because of a grumbling when clod and a red fluid on the outside of the sump believing the water pump was breaking down.
Two weeks later and with a new oil cooler, thermostat gasket and cam belt service all done she's home and predictably I sent today cleaning her right through for the week ahead.
Wilbury want her in Wednesday to make sure everything is in order and there are no further leaks or problems after most of the engine was removed for urgent sergary.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2017, 23:27:07 »

If coolant was leaking down onto the sump from the top of the engine, it sounds like the oil cooler cover plate was leaking, rather than the oil cooler itself.
replacing cambelt, oil cooler plate, camcover gaskets, thermostat gasket, and general engine service is circa a couple of hundred quid in parts and I would guess at about 5 hours labour.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2017, 06:43:52 »

There was a lot of time spent on the clean up, the plugs on the left bank were drowning in oil so the leads needed removal and a clean.
My mate couldn't believe she was still running so as the oil leak went from drip to flood quite quickly.
All I can say is she was well looked after and it was money well spent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.