Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: odd internet and phone thingy  (Read 2381 times)

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
  • upper beeding. west sussex
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
odd internet and phone thingy
« on: 18 April 2016, 22:15:38 »

I am with Plusnet for internet and phone.
Been having trouble with internet going down and had to ring them 5 or 6 times to see what the problem was.
On no less than 4 of those occasions the internet came back on as I was waiting to speak to someone and so I just terminated the call.

Anyway fed up with persistent failure to get on the net and the VERY slow speeds I have now changed to their fibre broadband and its been much better,  until today when I had no internet again for about 2 hours.
So I rang them again, and beggar me if whilst I am waiting in the queue to talk to someone the internet comes on again.

This is obviously more than just coincidence, but Plusnet dont seem familiar with this so I wondered if anyone on here knows what is likely to be the problem.
 :)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: odd internet and phone thingy
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2016, 22:19:07 »

When the 'Internet' fails, do you mean the Router loses connection to the outside world, or your computer loses connection to the Router?

As in, does the 'connection' light on the Router disappear or flash (for example)?

Would also be helpful to give some specifics of your connection (Line Attenuation etc).

Which Router do you have, and how are you connecting to it?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2016, 22:58:35 »

Right ok,

Router loses connection to outside.
Connection light on router flashing in orange
Router is called a Plusnet Hub One
Filter is plugged in to the BT phone thing and both the phone and the router are plugged into the filter.
Dont know what 'line attenuation is (or means)
Thank you

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2016, 23:09:28 »

I have been having the same problem since I added thier phone service to my system.

Speed went up a few weeks ago, but the connection kept dropping,and slowing to zero speed.  They told me some gibberish about some automatic setting (not sure if it was someting to do with the Gain)  But google was taking 20 seconds or more at times to load.

They recken to have sorted it but have noticed it still happens ocasionally, but it only seems to be over the weekend.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2016, 23:11:54 »

OK.

In your Browser (IE, FireFox, Opera, Whatever).

In the Address Bar, type in   "192.168.1.254"   without the quotes.  This will take you to the Router HomePage.

If you are asked for a Password, you'll find it on the bottom/back of the Router.... I think these came with a card too with the password details on it.

Click on 'HelpDesk' and it'll open a page showing all your line stats etc.  If you can screenshot this page (or take a photo and show it here) it might give us some idea of what 'could' be wrong.

TIP: you can change your WiFi password etc in the Router Settings.... Much easier than typing in that stupid 'key' everytime you need to connect a new device.

WARNING:  Don't change anything you are not sure about.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2016, 23:14:11 »

I have been having the same problem since I added thier phone service to my system.

Speed went up a few weeks ago, but the connection kept dropping,and slowing to zero speed.  They told me some gibberish about some automatic setting (not sure if it was someting to do with the Gain)  But google was taking 20 seconds or more at times to load.

They recken to have sorted it but have noticed it still happens ocasionally, but it only seems to be over the weekend.

They are right - When installing a new line, or adjusting anything, the system will perform a DLM (Dynamic Line Management).  An automated process which will attempt to get you the highest speeds without being troublesome.  Usually lasting between 7 and 10 days, although can be completed in a couple of days if the line is 'good'.

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2016, 23:17:04 »

Interesting that Mr Skrunts, they said the same thing to me once.
Its definitely been better speed wise since I went with their fibre broadband, (and incidentaly its slightly cheaper than my old package)
I would like to stay with them as they do seem to have decent and helpful people on their helpline, unlike some others I could mention.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2016, 23:32:59 »

Interesting that Mr Skrunts, they said the same thing to me once.
Its definitely been better speed wise since I went with their fibre broadband, (and incidentaly its slightly cheaper than my old package)
I would like to stay with them as they do seem to have decent and helpful people on their helpline, unlike some others I could mention.

I have been with them from when they started. Thier 512/1mb/2mb service was superb, click a page it was allways instant.  As speeds have risen I have seen page access slow down, but with the contention ratio's and more download demand then I suppose that's the same for all ISP's.

I was also on thier premier service, but have since changed that after they imposed limits on us, now I have no limits, got a year at £peanuts price (Discounts)  1st year over, they quoted me £10.33 for phone and broadband (inc caller display and friends and family) with my discount applied I pay £6.33 and my line rental (Which happens to have gone up £30 this year :-\)

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2016, 06:47:22 »

Talk Talk you mean  ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2016, 15:34:42 »

Talk Talk you mean  ;)

Why, do BT own Talk Talk as well.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2016, 15:48:48 »

Talk Talk you mean  ;)

Why, do BT own Talk Talk as well.

I assumed they did, as about 3 years ago I used to be with PlusNet....then had a letter saying summat about being merged/taken over.....but price would stay the same, then a few months later saying prices had to increase.....swallowed that .... then about 6 months later saying they were increasing their prices to be the same TalkTalk .... so I assumed TT had taken them over....at this point I changed ISP's.
Stayed with that ISP for 13months then switched to a deal SSE were doing at the time.....£12/month for line rental and broadband ( 2 year deal )

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2016, 17:12:25 »

I'm with Plusnet, and they told me that they are now owned by BT. I have also just upgraded to their 38 Mbps service. Haven't noticed any improvement except it is cheaper than my old service. :y

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2016, 17:30:10 »

I don't think Plusnet are anything to do with Talk Talk, since they always refer to them as being one of their rival providers.

amazonian

• Intermediate Member
    • 03 2.2 CDX auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2016, 17:41:53 »

In the Address Bar, type in   "192.168.1.254"   without the quotes.  This will take you to the Router HomePage.

Broomies Mate, I tried this but cant find any helpdesk, maybe I'm not on the right web page?

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2016, 21:59:27 »

Broomies Mate, I tried this but cant find any helpdesk, maybe I'm not on the right web page?
When I tried that, a while back, I just got a page of google searches.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.