Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe a new tent is in order  (Read 3468 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe a new tent is in order
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2016, 09:56:57 »

Just been Googling your 1952 Sunbeam S8, very nice bike  :y :y

I've parked next to a few bikes from the 50's - The GS is a giant in comparison, I'd love to get a smaller bike like that, just for popping around town here, as the GS is a big, big bike.

Don't think MrsT would approve though  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2016, 09:59:22 »

Hi Ron!

Yes it's me the biker, quickly went to a 2006 BMW GS, due to my height (6ft5) I found it a very natural bike to use. Many other bikes are just too small, also very tight around the gear shifter for my size 12's.

Plenty of space on the GS for feet, me and my camping gear!  ;D

I've done Isle of Man TT a couple of times (FatherT used to work out there) Also done Scotland in a heat wave! Always wanted to do Europe, either full on tour down to the Alps or a starter tour of the WW2 Beaches.

Have a read of these, a couple of my trips:

Scotland: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=103710.0

Wales: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=31076

Isle of Man: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=36452

Just to add to this, the tent I have is fairly wide when packed up, which is a downside.

On the GS it's not wider than the bike, with the side boxes fitted. But looking at photos of that Sunbeam, going to struggle. Will need a tent that compacts more  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2016, 09:59:29 »

Ive seen them fail very early.

Want something quick and easy...Try a Khyam Igloo, had ours about 20 years, the current design has barely changed...cracking tent.

Rarely see em in the shops, but are available online

Sorry Jimbob.....that's about the same design of my current tent.....its putting up the poles which is the pain, ok for two people, but you'll struggle if theirs only one of you....on the wrong side of 50!

I have a Khyam Freelander which is similar, but bigger and tall enough to stand up in. That was one of my requirements, along with space to sit and for it to be easy to erect and strike. I use at car shows etc, so size and weight weren't an issue, although it is reasonably compact. It wasn't cheap, but I consider it good value.

These use four poles which are integral to the tent; you unroll it, hold the top plate in one hand and snap the first row of hinges into place. That's rigid enough to stand up, so go around doing the bottom hinges. Peg the corners, slide the only loose pole through its clips and peg the guyropes to hold it up. Then you go inside, clip the top and back of the sleeping compartment in place and peg it's front corners.
I can have a beer in my hand less than five minutes after getting out of the car. In the rain. When arriving with friends I usually end up putting up the gazebo etc as I'm first to finish.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2016, 10:10:58 by Nick W »

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2016, 13:12:45 »

Want something quick and easy...Try a Khyam Igloo, had ours about 20 years, the current design has barely changed...cracking tent.

Sorry Jimbob.....that's about the same design of my current tent.....its putting up the poles which is the pain, ok for two people, but you'll struggle if theirs only one of you....on the wrong side of 50!

I have a Khyam Freelander which is similar, but bigger and tall enough to stand up in. That was one of my requirements, along with space to sit and for it to be easy to erect and strike. I use at car shows etc, so size and weight weren't an issue, although it is reasonably compact. It wasn't cheap, but I consider it good value.

These use four poles which are integral to the tent; you unroll it, hold the top plate in one hand and snap the first row of hinges into place. That's rigid enough to stand up, so go around doing the bottom hinges. Peg the corners, slide the only loose pole through its clips and peg the guyropes to hold it up. Then you go inside, clip the top and back of the sleeping compartment in place and peg it's front corners.
I can have a beer in my hand less than five minutes after getting out of the car. In the rain. When arriving with friends I usually end up putting up the gazebo etc as I'm first to finish.
Tanks Nick, that's worth considering, altho a slightly larger one, might suit better  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 April 2016, 14:56:40 »

You only need one person for this....everything is ready assembled, its literally take it out the bag and unfold the poles and click into place.  2 mins tops.  extremely easy.  Almost unfolds like an umbrella

Not huge though...plenty of sitting up room, but thats it.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2016, 18:14:58 »

You only need one person for this....everything is ready assembled, its literally take it out the bag and unfold the poles and click into place.  2 mins tops.  extremely easy.  Almost unfolds like an umbrella

Not huge though...plenty of sitting up room, but thats it.

Ah didn't read the description closely  :-[ ......tho as you say theres not much room inside......
« Last Edit: 02 April 2016, 18:19:43 by TD »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2016, 18:47:58 »

What you need Dave is a Teardrop Cavavan :y
I like red cars

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2016, 19:52:59 »

bit on the small size Barry.....plus id be labelled a pikey..... ;D

TBH I did look on ebay for caravans ...... but you need to spent a fairly decent money for a decent one.....and then I remembered ive got a 1.6TDi Mondeo.......that aint gonna pull anything  ;D unless you reved the nuts of it all the time  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2016, 20:21:08 »

What you need Dave is a Teardrop Caravan :y

I've often thought about building a teardrop, but I can't chuck it in the loft for the 49 weekends a year I don't use it.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 April 2016, 20:51:39 »

TBH I did look on ebay for caravans ...... but you need to spent a fairly decent money for a decent one.....and then I remembered ive got a 1.6TDi Mondeo.......that aint gonna pull anything  ;D unless you reved the nuts of it all the time  ;D

You would be amazed what you could pull with a 1.6 TDi, in fact you'd be spoilt for choice.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 April 2016, 22:40:20 »

My Montana 6p can be put up single handedly, but still needs 2 to lift the bag out of the boot ;D.

Fantastic tent with loads of room, but not for you I think due to shear weight
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 April 2016, 01:58:46 »

You would be amazed what you could pull with a 1.6 TDi, in fact you'd be spoilt for choice.

Yes I'm always amazed at Lord Opti's claims of what he could pull with his Austin Princess back in the day!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.