Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 auto gearbox sump gasket  (Read 6012 times)

ted_one

Re: 2.6 auto gearbox sump gasket
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2016, 19:32:56 »

Looks like the box may well have to come out one way or another :-\ or can it just be dropped enough to allow access to the the thrust washer? I've only assisted at one gearbox replacement as a senior gopher and it was a long hard day, the second one Serek did really quickly and was fairly priced (who would be my choice if push comes to shove) There is an AR35 complete with ECU for £150 on the bay but....it's down in Poole,so transport would have to be factored in plus any labour?fitting which is going to make it an expensive exercise :-\ :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2016, 20:20:16 »

DLK swopped mine over several years ago and it was a heavy bit of kit. :o

He did insist on use of a friends garage 4 post ramp and without it I fail to see how anybody could replace 1 just on axle stands or ramps.

The genius had it replaced in around 3 hours which included filling with new Dex and checking levels in between gear shifts.A true hard job but he made light work of it  :y

ted_one

« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2016, 20:45:27 »

Agree with you Andrew,the first one was done by James and we hired a workshop...think it was around the Coventry area and I think the hire was a couple of hundred pounds for the day and boy was it a long day, plus consumables,transmission and fitting,fuel etc probably all in around... £500. Second one done by Serek.....2-2.5 hours and including a good transmission courtesy of Joff, probably cost around half of the first one.So I think the moral of the story is don't try it yourself unless you have access to proper facilities, because if you're trying to do it lying on your drive way with the car on a trolley jack and axle stands.....it ain't going to be easy or pretty if it goes tits up :o

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2016, 21:16:01 »

Had my replacement box done by robsey and his mate. Took about 3 hours. All done on axle stands in a barn.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 March 2016, 21:30:17 »

I hate to repeat myself, but I will as it is worth saying twice - go to Serek's!
Get an AR 35 if you can - as I did on my 2.6 - and take it to Serek.
Oh, and why not go to Serek's?

Ron.

P.S. You KNOW what you have to do............

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 March 2016, 21:48:44 »

I hate to repeat myself, but I will as it is worth saying twice - go to Serek's!
Get an AR 35 if you can - as I did on my 2.6 - and take it to Serek.
Oh, and why not go to Serek's?

Ron.

P.S. You KNOW what you have to do............
. bring it to hoof'land,we don't bite 8)
Hoof'land storeman.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #36 on: 02 March 2016, 21:57:01 »

DLK swopped mine over several years ago and it was a heavy bit of kit. :o

He did insist on use of a friends garage 4 post ramp and without it I fail to see how anybody could replace 1 just on axle stands or ramps.

The genius had it replaced in around 3 hours which included filling with new Dex and checking levels in between gear shifts.A true hard job but he made light work of it  :y

Replaced autobox on my old Elite, incl refill Dex and filter clean, on my drive with axle stands/trolley jacks with help from a mate in around 3 hours.  Easy enough job, we were lucky that exhaust dropped out easily.  Just be careful removing box - its a weighty old lump.

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

ted_one

« Reply #37 on: 02 March 2016, 21:57:23 »

In another life,I attended 3 fatalities where DIY mechanics obviously thought it was a safe method of working on a car.....not for me! I get twitchy even when I'm standing under a four poster that's locked off...but then I'm a big girl's blouse :-* Speak to Serek!! :y

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2016, 20:58:55 »

Sent an AR35 to be boxed 4 months ago as nobody wanted it even for free, and I have just had the auto gearbox and transfer box out and back in, on my drive on my own, but wish I had had a 4 post lift, cost me £85 for a transmission jack which takes 150KG.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.