Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash Cluster lighting.  (Read 3581 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Dash Cluster lighting.
« on: 30 November 2015, 18:57:52 »

Following some Audi on way home, black A6 on 09 plate. It's pitch black, raining, guess what. No lights on  ::) - Well DLRs front only.

Flash lights, front fogs for a mile or so, sod all.

Managed to pull along side and blast the horn with window down, she did put hers down surprisingly. I errrr "kindly"  ::) - informed her she should put some lights on.

She did  :o

But I noticed the dash was lit up including all dials, now for me if I can't read my dash dials, lights come on. Not always applicable. But most....

Do wonder is it a good idea to have super bright LED DLR's + dash all lit up and no auto lights?

Cars should not illuminate dash as default, I think that's the cause of a lot of no lighters.

Well that and stupidity.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Dash Cluster lighting.
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2015, 18:59:17 »

Most newer car are the same, Dashboard lights up as soon as you open the door on a Corsa.  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2015, 19:01:55 »

my 07 Merc's dash lights up reagrdless of whether the lights are on ...... I agree, stupid idea.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2015, 19:05:09 »

Unintended consequences... suspect the drls/front sidelights provide the feed for the dash illumination, all fed from the ignition feed before the light switch...

Drls etc are bright enough to make you think you have lights on, but in built up areas, it's easy to not realise, especially if your dash is illuminated... the second the street lighting stops, it should be plainly obvious to all but the most retarded :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2015, 19:15:19 »

Following some Audi on way home, black A6 on 09 plate. It's pitch black, raining, guess what. No lights on  ::) - Well DLRs front only.

Flash lights, front fogs for a mile or so, sod all.

Managed to pull along side and blast the horn with window down, she did put hers down surprisingly. I errrr "kindly"  ::) - informed her she should put some lights on.

She did  :o

But I noticed the dash was lit up including all dials, now for me if I can't read my dash dials, lights come on. Not always applicable. But most....

Do wonder is it a good idea to have super bright LED DLR's + dash all lit up and no auto lights?

Cars should not illuminate dash as default, I think that's the cause of a lot of no lighters.

Well that and stupidity.

No auto lights?

I'm surprised.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2015, 19:17:24 »

Yep, see plenty of retards driving round with no lights at the moment.

I thin it's a combination of this, and Auto lights. Someone takes it out of Auto mode, driver no longer has the ability to switch on manually, as it's been in Auto since they drove it off the forecourt. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2015, 19:25:58 »

No auto lights?

I'm surprised.

I know people that prefer not to leave them in AUTO & switch themselves  ??? ???

Mine are set to be on continuously at the moment

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2015, 19:27:38 »

Does help that Omega lights are quite poor, so even when they are on, you are not really sure if they actually are  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2015, 20:02:45 »

They don't on the Beemer. The dash lights only come on when the lights come on.  :y
The DRL's alone don't illuminate the dash.  :y

Auto lights have their purpose, but common sense has to play a part as well. I do have to over-rule them sometimes if I think they are too slow to come on, or in fog obviously.
Auto lights can also be interesting in conditions such as tree lined roads, where they tend to switch on and off according to the shading from trees. It can lead to the person in front wondering why the dick-head behind keeps switching his lights on and off.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2015, 20:04:20 »

They don't on the Beemer. The dash lights only come on when the lights come on.  :y
The DRL's alone don't illuminate the dash.  :y

Auto lights have their purpose, but common sense has to play a part as well. I do have to over-rule them sometimes if I think they are too slow to come on, or in fog obviously.
Auto lights can also be interesting in conditions such as tree lined roads, where they tend to switch on and off according to the shading from trees. It can lead to the person in front wondering why the dick-head behind keeps switching his lights on and off.  ::)
And on garage forecourts, and multi storey car parks.......

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2015, 20:27:54 »

The dash is always illuminated for a good reason - so you can see the dials even when you've forgotten to turn your lights on. Simple...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2015, 20:42:36 »

The dash is always illuminated for a good reason - so you can see the dials even when you've forgotten to turn your lights on. Simple...

Neither of my cars dash lights come on without the actual lights being on.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2015, 20:44:17 »

Mine's on all the time but dims when you light up. Almost every car I've had does this.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2015, 21:00:23 »

Unintended consequences... suspect the drls/front sidelights provide the feed for the dash illumination, all fed from the ignition feed before the light switch...

Drls etc are bright enough to make you think you have lights on, but in built up areas, it's easy to not realise, especially if your dash is illuminated... the second the street lighting stops, it should be plainly obvious to all but the most retarded :-X
Not certain about this (or maybe it varies between manufacturers  :-\) but the Gay Time Running lights seem to be brighter (and more dazzling) when the headlights/tail-lights are off  >:(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2015, 21:04:19 »

Not certain about this (or maybe it varies between manufacturers  :-\) but the Gay Time Running lights seem to be brighter (and more dazzling) when the headlights/tail-lights are off  >:(
To look at, maybe... but like chavvy 8000k hids, looking bright and being bright are two very different things...

VW group crap does dim the drls when you indicated, which proves just how pointless they are ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.