Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric probe  (Read 2898 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Electric probe
« on: 09 February 2015, 20:17:19 »

For years I have tested the voltage in a cable by shoving a needle through it and measuring the voltage between it and earth. I once saw an AA man use a purpose built probe, needle with a handle attached. Where can I buy one?

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Electric probe
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2015, 20:34:58 »

take a look at the jack sealey on the net ...electrical probes...something like part number...pp100...but sit down as the price of that particular item is retailed at £179....ouch.....but look anyway as you may find something else that will do the job  :y :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2015, 09:46:33 »

Just a warning

A lot of wires on modern cars also carry data as well as a voltage. If you probe a CAN-BUS line or similar, you stand the chance of damaging the electronics if you are not careful, and (if like the garage down the road form me has just done) you probe an Air Bag communication line, then you may just find yourself with a bit of a problem. Mechanic down the road did this on a Volvo and triggered 11 airbags !!

In the old days, we prodded around looking for voltage - these days we plug in a computer and look for data

Be careful !!
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2015, 10:38:25 »

Mechanic down the road did this on a Volvo and triggered 11 airbags !! .....

:o :o :o
A change of underwear please!   ::) ::)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2015, 13:37:14 »

Oo-er! Omegas don't use CAN-BUS systems, do they? Obviously it has data lines, carrying information from sensors, radio, etc. but I had not thought I might upset them by poking a needle through one and checking its voltage My AA man chum was seeking the reason why the starter was not turning, and he shoved his probe through a fat wire of the right colour and could show me it had 12 volts on it. A needle does the job but can be hard to push in; he had a needle with a handle on it. Insulation is not a problem.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2015, 23:09:32 »

Just a warning

A lot of wires on modern cars also carry data as well as a voltage. If you probe a CAN-BUS line or similar, you stand the chance of damaging the electronics if you are not careful, and (if like the garage down the road form me has just done) you probe an Air Bag communication line, then you may just find yourself with a bit of a problem. Mechanic down the road did this on a Volvo and triggered 11 airbags !!

In the old days, we prodded around looking for voltage - these days we plug in a computer and look for data

Be careful !!

Was the bright yellow sheathing not enough to make him wary?!

Expensive.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2015, 07:27:56 »

Just a warning

Be careful !!
I suspect he put volts on it knowingly, perhaps with a continuity tester, perhaps direct from the battery.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2015, 09:53:01 »

Nope, it was a voltage tester - good quality one too 

Remember, Mistakes can also cause the magic smoke to escape from the wiring loom, so you'll need a bottle of this...

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2015, 10:46:29 »

That magic smoke is easy enough to get, but the special tool to fit it doesn't work!

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2015, 11:02:36 »

Useful to know you can buy it in a jar, as making it escape is all too easy ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2015, 12:06:20 »

Oo-er! Omegas don't use CAN-BUS systems, do they? Obviously it has data lines, carrying information from sensors, radio, etc. but I had not thought I might upset them by poking a needle through one and checking its voltage My AA man chum was seeking the reason why the starter was not turning, and he shoved his probe through a fat wire of the right colour and could show me it had 12 volts on it. A needle does the job but can be hard to push in; he had a needle with a handle on it. Insulation is not a problem.

The Omega uses CAN between engine ECU, ABS/TC and automatic box on the drive-by-wire models. It also has a plethora of wiring that is not what it seems - screened cables carrying signals from ABS sensors, Lambda sensors, airbag, levelling sensors and so on. Puncturing these can cause an internal short that will then be a nightmare to fault-find. In addition, puncturing a hole in the insulation of a cable can compromise its protection from the elements, so, if carried out at all, it needs to be in an area where the cable is protected from the elements.

Personally, I prefer to identify the cable positively, which normally means locating it by colour at a connector. At that point, the connector facilitates connection to a meter so you don't have to damage the cable.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2015, 19:31:17 »

I used to use 2 sharp needles hooked to some croc clips, just kept poking them in the wire till you got a 'Dial Tone'   :-X :-X ;D

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2015, 22:05:21 »

For years I have tested the voltage in a cable by shoving a needle through it and measuring the voltage between it and earth. I once saw an AA man use a purpose built probe, needle with a handle attached. Where can I buy one?

. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/412315-Digital-Pen-Type-Multimeter-AC-DC-Voltage-Tester-Detect-Continuity-/181650835813?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This any use at £20 !!  Claims to do AC and DC and non contact pen type multi Meter.  My previous employer invented this about 20 years ago !  Based on EM field detection.  I have one for AC, but not seen a DC one until recently.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.