Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Door Strips PFL Removal  (Read 2627 times)

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
  • It's there...Go get it!
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
Door Strips PFL Removal
« on: 11 October 2014, 18:05:55 »

Hi Guys
I'm ready to get your input on a near future project which will be part of the winter mods on my old lady.
I want to remove the chrome strips on black door strips as to me they look odd as I have lost both front and back bumper strips.
Two questions..

1. Do they come of easy? I mean the whole black trim?
2. The groove where the chrome strips go...Can that be filled with a filler then sprayed do you think?

Just fishing for opinions now as I'm going to respray the car but want to not have any chrome on the furniture.

So left alone with showing groove (but same colour as car or left black)?
If you aren't sure what I'm talking about I want this effect on mine...

Mika says his side strips weren't with the chrome. I thought PFL models all had the chrome strips.

Best regards
Cheers Ant :y
Thanks
Still learning...Be nice!

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
Re: Door Strips PFL Removal
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2014, 18:18:12 »

My pre-face lift (AKA Mini Face Lift I believe) certainly has chrome strips.  Here is the old girl, looking not too shabby at present  :y

I would be interested to hear how the door strips come off as I may need to remove one to address a tad of rust at the bottom of O/S Rear door  >:(

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2014, 18:24:27 »

My pre-face lift (AKA Mini Face Lift I believe) certainly has chrome strips.  Here is the old girl, looking not too shabby at present  :y

I would be interested to hear how the door strips come off as I may need to remove one to address a tad of rust at the bottom of O/S Rear door  >:(

Not to get off the subject of my post but nice looking car amigo!  :y

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2014, 18:58:47 »

they are held with strong tape and clips that trim slides onto--very hard to remove without damaging them
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2014, 21:26:25 »

Greetings guys,  I recently have removed both types of door strip.  Facelift ones are held in place with a screw either end and then slide to release the clips that are attached to the strip, easy to do once door card is removed.

The Mini facelift are a little harder. As has been said they are held in place with bonding tape strips, top and bottom, and two clips towards each end.  To remove you need to break the bond, here's how I did it.  Use a wide wall scraper and gently ease between tape and strip (bottom first) you will be able to feel it. It is then possible to ease /slide the scraper along the length of the strip, do it in stages.  Once the lower edge is done tackle the top edge in the same way, always keeping the scraper between the tape and the strip. Keeping the scraper at a shallow angle will mean this can bee done without damaging the paint work. Once free of the tape slide to remove the clips from their recesses .To remove the old tape you the need to use a Toffee wheel No I'm not kidding.  It's a wheel that is the colour of Caramac, fits into a drill and is a none aggressive, even smells like toffee too  :y 

To replace the strips, clean up side that sticks to car and spray with a rust preventer, I used Bilt-Himber Electrox . Then run two lines of your favourite bonding agent, I used Tiger Seal and re-apply.  The two clips will hold it, just put some tape either end till fully bonded.

I managed to get mine off with no damage to either paint or strip. Just take your time

Then stand back and congratulate your self on a job well done.   :y :y
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

Anthony in Madrid

• Intermediate Member
  • Valencia, Spain
    • 1994 2.5 V6 170 BHP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2014, 08:32:58 »

Greetings guys,  I recently have removed both types of door strip.  Facelift ones are held in place with a screw either end and then slide to release the clips that are attached to the strip, easy to do once door card is removed.

The Mini facelift are a little harder. As has been said they are held in place with bonding tape strips, top and bottom, and two clips towards each end.  To remove you need to break the bond, here's how I did it.  Use a wide wall scraper and gently ease between tape and strip (bottom first) you will be able to feel it. It is then possible to ease /slide the scraper along the length of the strip, do it in stages.  Once the lower edge is done tackle the top edge in the same way, always keeping the scraper between the tape and the strip. Keeping the scraper at a shallow angle will mean this can bee done without damaging the paint work. Once free of the tape slide to remove the clips from their recesses .To remove the old tape you the need to use a Toffee wheel No I'm not kidding.  It's a wheel that is the colour of Caramac, fits into a drill and is a none aggressive, even smells like toffee too  :y 

To replace the strips, clean up side that sticks to car and spray with a rust preventer, I used Bilt-Himber Electrox . Then run two lines of your favourite bonding agent, I used Tiger Seal and re-apply.  The two clips will hold it, just put some tape either end till fully bonded.

I managed to get mine off with no damage to either paint or strip. Just take your time

Then stand back and congratulate your self on a job well done.   :y :y

Awesome Roland!!
Thanks a bunch!!!  :y
Ant

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2014, 08:44:15 »

I would imagine some heat from a gun would make this a lot easier by melting the adhesive and maybe reduce chances of damaging paint, I swapped to facelift door strips rather than replaced the grey plastic ones on my old mfl
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2014, 10:08:52 »

See this is what I was planning, doing FL strips... as I understood it (having tried it) it is impossible to get the PFL strips off intact. This has made me wonder whether I should go down the route of sticking original or not, now.... hmm....  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2014, 10:11:56 »

Just rip them off and fit facelift ones :y

Shop carefully and get them in the correct colour, and you'll get the desired effect for next to no effort :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2014, 10:58:22 »

That's the plan!  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2014, 11:33:15 »

I did it on my old Elite and was happy with it

Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2014, 11:49:17 »

Very nice  :) Also FL rear bumper, which was what I was going to do as a cost-effective alternative to an Irmscher one  :y

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2014, 12:04:59 »

Dont like it , begins to look like an astra  ::) ;D :P Each to their own of course  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2014, 12:10:59 »

Is Emd not a fan of the facelift Omega look then?   :y

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2014, 12:16:43 »

Is Emd not a fan of the facelift Omega look then?   :y

Not really  ::) ;D ;D

Tried some thin wire to get a damaged door trim of once , ended up just ripping it off ... wouldnt recommend it but worked for me  :-X
oh and parked the car near a wall , applied tiger seal to strip then wedged some wood between wall and car trim till it went off
« Last Edit: 14 October 2014, 12:19:41 by Emd »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.