Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How far would you go/have been to buy a car?  (Read 3986 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
How far would you go/have been to buy a car?
« on: 04 September 2014, 22:07:20 »

It's new car time and I'm sure by now people know I want to buy a Vauxhall Zafira B. I'm not exactly spoilt for choice though, there are only half a dozen petrol 1.8 Elites (but over 200 diesel ones  :(  ) which means I may have to travel to the far reaches of the country to find the right one.

I've been as far as Manchester from London to buy a car but I was young and hasty. Can anyone offer some advice on how to prepare for a long distance purchase, particularly when buying from a dealer - when they realise you've travelled 100+ miles to view a car might not be so willing to haggle because they will have sensed your commitment.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: How far would you go/have been to buy a car?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2014, 22:18:59 »

It's new car time and I'm sure by now people know I want to buy a Vauxhall Zafira B. I'm not exactly spoilt for choice though, there are only half a dozen petrol 1.8 Elites (but over 200 diesel ones  :(  ) which means I may have to travel to the far reaches of the country to find the right one.

I've been as far as Manchester from London to buy a car but I was young and hasty. Can anyone offer some advice on how to prepare for a long distance purchase, particularly when buying from a dealer - when they realise you've travelled 100+ miles to view a car might not be so willing to haggle because they will have sensed your commitment.

Tell 'em you've got 3 more to view local to them while you're up there  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2014, 22:24:05 »

Yes. That thought did occur to me  ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2014, 23:22:55 »

I bought my Omega 'blind' on ebay from a fella in Braintree, Essex and at the time I was living in Bristol.  ::) 

It turned out alright though as 8 years on we're still together!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2014, 23:36:40 »

Not far nowadays tbh. but I`m in the market for another bike.
Rang up a bloke about 20 miles away last Sunday morning re. his add on a well known web site. His answer was bizarre, " Well I want to sell the bike yah, but a guy is coming all the way down from Kent today to look at it & I promised not to sell until he`s looked first" ;D ;D ;D Bonkers or what. Cheeky bugger wanted to take my number & "will call me back if it`s still on the market" posh t w a t ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2014, 23:41:07 »

Rang up a bloke about 20 miles away last Sunday morning re. his add on a well known web site. His answer was bizarre, " Well I want to sell the bike yah, but a guy is coming all the way down from Kent today to look at it & I promised not to sell until he`s looked first" ;D ;D ;D Bonkers or what. Cheeky bugger wanted to take my number & "will call me back if it`s still on the market" posh t w a t ::)
Numpty... What would you be saying if the bike was in Ramsgate and the seller sold it to some bloke from Dover whilst you were driving up from Pompey? He was actually offering to do you a favour...

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2014, 23:43:58 »

SMD you can always pay a small deposit over the phone to hold it, on the understanding that it be refunded if the cqr isn't to your satisfaction when you go to see it :y

Might even find that is a legal right under distance selling rules :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2014, 23:47:53 »

Why tell the dealer you've travelled?  ???

Just turn up and if he comments that you're not local, make out you're visiting relatives or something and thought you'd have a look around while there.  :y

The only time the dealer needs to know where you are from is when he's filling out the paperwork!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2014, 23:59:37 »

Numpty... What would you be saying if the bike was in Ramsgate and the seller sold it to some bloke from Dover whilst you were driving up from Pompey? He was actually offering to do you a favour...

I agree, his commitment to a possible buyer from afar should be applauded, if not necessarily good business sense....... :y

I have bought blind from ebay and was happy, I have bought from a distance by traveling and, despite all precautions bought a pup, yes it was a Mig...... :(

I am half looking for a car at the moment but am only looking locally, and only in a convenient area, rather than by distance as such; on auto trader currently looking........ ;) ;)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2014, 00:23:54 »

I agree, his commitment to a possible buyer from afar should be applauded, if not necessarily good business sense....... :y

I have bought blind from ebay and was happy, I have bought from a distance by traveling and, despite all precautions bought a pup, yes it was a Mig...... :(

I am half looking for a car at the moment but am only looking locally, and only in a convenient area, rather than by distance as such; on auto trader currently looking........ ;) ;)

Very commendable  ??? I even told him I had the folding with me. I suppose posh boy didn`t really need the £5k, but just wanted to sell the Speed Triple on his terms. 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2014, 00:31:58 »

Very commendable  ??? I even told him I had the folding with me. I suppose posh boy didn`t really need the £5k, but just wanted to sell the Speed Triple on his terms.

You missed the point............

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2014, 00:33:27 »

There is a distinct lack of decency nowadays and the fact that your seller did not give into money is truly commendable. Most people are just greedy idiots that will have you travel for miles and sell the bike to someone else in the interim!
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2014, 00:34:30 »

You missed the point............

He certainly has!
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2014, 01:23:56 »

There is a distinct lack of decency nowadays and the fact that your seller did not give into money is truly commendable. Most people are just greedy idiots that will have you travel for miles and sell the bike to someone else in the interim!

Lighten up  :) Being the greedy bugger I am, I may have done that when we sold swmbo`s Honda. Mind you the bloke that said he was driving up from Bournemouth never arrived or called to cancel. The little bird that did turn up even bought  swmbo`s leathers after a try-on session  :P. I rode the bike back down to Southampton for her by following her Mini. Bloody lowered seat, my Knee`s were touching my elbow`s

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2014, 07:16:39 »

Why tell the dealer you've travelled?  ???

Just turn up and if he comments that you're not local, make out you're visiting relatives or something and thought you'd have a look around while there.  :y

The only time the dealer needs to know where you are from is when he's filling out the paperwork!  ;)

I don't want the car to be sold while I'm travelling and I think my cockney accent might give it away a bit.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.