Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stitched up by Highways agency  (Read 1662 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
stitched up by Highways agency
« on: 14 May 2014, 14:06:37 »

Due to family issues did not leave north east Manchester until 8.45pm last night. At 11 15 I am at J10 on M4 to come off for Reading - not. Slip road closed. No signage that I saw on M4 when I joined at J8/9. Result is that it took 45 mins for last 10 miles of my journey.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Rog

Re: stitched up by Highways agency
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2014, 14:12:16 »

Pretty common type of thing unfortunately

Frequently, no signs for something like this, and yet often there are loads of signs for an issue that no longer exists, or maybe 40mph for miles for no reason.  >:(

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2014, 14:19:36 »

There were signs on the M25 saying M4 jct 8-11 (iirc) long delays as I was travelling at 7pmish last night, so might not have been planned works?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2014, 14:32:26 »

I dismd not type "Reading" as that is not the Junction. I correctly typed Reading - hmmm - gremlins at work

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2014, 14:34:24 »

I see.....Whenever you type a certain word oof is programmed to change it to Reading. Ethnic cleansing dept?

Blaster Bates

• Middle Earth
    • Dennis Fire Engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2014, 14:36:38 »

I see.....Whenever you type a certain word oof is programmed to change it to Reading. Ethnic cleansing dept?

OOF does not recognise suburbs of places such as Reading to be seperate from Reading.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2014, 15:12:49 »

Wok.....m - aha!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 15:14:36 »

So.. which Reading are we talking about? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2014, 19:03:41 »

So.. which Reading are we talking about? ;D

NOT READING. ::) (...OH oppsin sigh...)

;D

Not Reading district council are hopeless and refuse to communicate with the highways agency re the 329m. Which is jcn 10. There's nothing else.

The A 404 on the other hand, has matrix signs up every other week advising of delays, and even delays on roads off the A404. Different council. As highways only deal with major routes. They tell me. (Ok so how is an A road more of a major route than an M designated route?)

But not the 329m. Oh no. That never affects the m4 in any way shape or form. Noooononono.

You notice the delays are from AROUND jcn10. Ie 8/9 to 11. But absolutely NOT jcn10. ;D

Many a time have I driven home to be confronted with a log jammed jcn 10. I think if its not on the matrix signs, then there is no problem, is the thing here.

Muppets!

Don't worry pscocoa. Your not alone.  >:(

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2014, 19:06:20 »

There were signs on the M25 saying M4 jct 8-11 (iirc) long delays as I was travelling at 7pmish last night, so might not have been planned works?

There was a major snarl up on the m4 and 329m,( it was ALL lit up red on google maps), which I had to drive round the back of Not Reading from Bracknell to avoid, in order to get to the Curry house.

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2014, 22:32:43 »

Found WDC email response

REF: 20128894

Dear Mr (Gixer) ,

Thank you for your email regarding traffic levels on the A329(M).

Thank you for alerting us to the possible use of the matrix system on the motorway.  Unfortunately, recent weather and traffic conditions meant an increase in traffic using the A329(M) and the Winnersh Triangle junction. 

The M4 motorway and the matrix signs are maintained by the Highways Agency, while, as you correctly state, the A329(M) is within the jurisdiction of Reading Borough Council.  However, the A329(M) is not monitored in live time.  In addition, the messages on the matrix signs are automated and would require significant advanced notice in order to place messages.  It would therefore be difficult to advise motorists of traffic conditions in real time.  There is also a lengthy and costly process for arranging for messages to be displayed.

We do, where possible, liaise with the Highways Agency to inform drivers of possible delays due to road works.  All road works are available to view on www.roadworks.org.

The delay on the slip road some time ago was emergency work to deal with an issue affecting all residents in Woodley, which was not programmed in advance.

Where possible we alert the Highways Agency and we hope to improve matters in future.

I hope this answers your enquiry.  If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Heather Eley
Traffic and Transport Team

Civic Offices, Shute End, Reading, Berkshire, RG40 1WL

Tel: 0118 908 8308

Sign up for text and email alerts for emergency and planned highway works at http://Readingalerts.datasquirt.co.uk/Login.aspx

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2014, 23:52:58 »

The M4 east to A329 south junction was closed last night coming back from the curry - no warning on the M4, just cones across the half of the slip road that heads to Bracknell once you were past the point of no return. Cue one slight detour up the A329 instead of down...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2014, 20:50:52 »

OOF word filter just reflects reality. As zirk pointed out last week, Google maps shows how it is, even though a member on here claims he lives in Woking ham but it is, as we all know, really Reading East. ::) :o ;D ;D ;D

Looks like M4 signs don't acknowledge that the A329(M) and a place called Woking ham exist either. :o :o :o :o

There is a rumour that Woking ham is populated by aliens and Omega V8's (which were never made) where it is on the intersection of two space-time continuum fault lines, so to be safe, it is better to keep well clear of the area. ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.