Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie with a question or two - when it starts it runs rough  (Read 3593 times)

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
Newbie with a question or two - when it starts it runs rough
« on: 27 September 2013, 07:06:41 »

Hi, I'm new to this Forum but it seemed like a good idea to join as I've got my first Omega. Wish I'd bought one years ago .. its a lovely car to drive, a petrol 2.2 2002 CD auto, but I have an issue, this is that when the car is started from cold (left standing overnight for example) it runs a little roughly, its lumpy for about the first 20 seconds or so and then settles down - from hot there is no issue, is this rough running normal for a 43000 mile car or is it a fuel / ignition problem ? Or am I looking at the early stages of a head gasket failure ? If it is a head gasket issue its not following the pattern I've seen on other cars, like, oil in the water (there isn't any), water in the oil (no), excessive steam from the exhaust (nope), bubbling in the rad or header tank (no), overheating (no), I plan to do a 'sniff' test for combustion gas in the water as a check measure but I just wondered if anyone had encountered a similar issue. Thanks in anticipation and congrats on a really good Forum.
Dale

bago

• Leicester
    • face lift 2.5 Elite bus
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with a question or two - when it starts it runs rough
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2013, 07:21:34 »

see if you can get the codes read  could be a number of things im sure the more people with more know how will suggest some things to check

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2013, 10:38:31 »

Hi and welcome  :y

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2013, 15:42:52 »

Do you get a ticking noise from the engine compartment when its started from cold?
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2013, 20:54:58 »

Do you get a ticking noise from the engine compartment when its started from cold?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, to answer your question, its hard to say, perhaps a slight ticking sound which I had attributed to cam wear, are you thinking sticky tappet ?

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2013, 21:57:06 »

My 2.2 from cold will fast idle for about  30 seconds & yer I suppose it`s a bit lumpy compared to the standard slower warm idle.

2.2 cold start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwHCZeaokAc

2.2 warm start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqJknaMvnA

cnj

• Intermediate Member
  • ludgershall
    • 2.2 Manual CD(51 plate)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2013, 09:44:06 »

my 2.2 runs slightly rough for just under a minute from cold, there is also a sort of spluttering noise from the exhaust manifold where the manifold is cracked, neither of which bother me because it resolves its self shortly after starting. I have the engine management light come on and go off on a fairly regular basis, but when I read the codes they all come up as not present. my thought are get the codes read just to make sure there is no underlying problem, but I suspect probably not.

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2013, 16:32:40 »

Thanks for taking the time to respond, to answer your question, its hard to say, perhaps a slight ticking sound which I had attributed to cam wear, are you thinking sticky tappet ?
No i was thinking cracked exhaust manifold, quite common on the 2.2, noticeable when the engine is cold.
Blocked gearbox breather, any oil leaks??
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2013, 11:06:06 »

No i was thinking cracked exhaust manifold, quite common on the 2.2, noticeable when the engine is cold.
Blocked gearbox breather, any oil leaks??

No oil leaks, well, no oil on the ground where the car has stood. Not seen under the car.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2013, 11:12:14 »

Is it *every* morning its a bit naff (and, no, thats not normal)?

If so, next time, try florring the throttle (absolutely, completely through the floorboards) and try to start (it shouldn't - obviously if it does, let go of the throttle immediately) for about 5s. Then try to start normally. If it then runs perfectly, you may have a weeping injector.

Failing that, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail is good first thing in the morning.

Finally, just for good measure, clean the TB and breathers as a matter of course.
Grumpy old man

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2013, 12:58:06 »

If so, next time, try florring the throttle (absolutely, completely through the floorboards) and try to start (it shouldn't - obviously if it does, let go of the throttle immediately) for about 5s. Then try to start normally. If it then runs perfectly, you may have a weeping injector.

Failing that, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail is good first thing in the morning.

Finally, just for good measure, clean the TB and breathers as a matter of course.

No, its not every morning, just most of the time after its been standing for more than 5 or 6 hrs. I'll try what you suggest and get back to you.
Thanks

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2013, 20:55:30 »

No, its not every morning, just most of the time after its been standing for more than 5 or 6 hrs. I'll try what you suggest and get back to you.
Thanks

It started almost instantly on full throttle (I lifted my foot off before revs rose), ran rough for 20 secs and cleared as before. Is it tricky to remove injectors ? Are they push fit ? Do I need to bleed the fuel supply rail after or clamp anything off before disassembly ?
Regs

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2013, 09:10:53 »

Was the accelerator fully depressed? The ECU should detect this condition and not fire the injectors, thus not start  :-\
Grumpy old man

Character2

• Peterborough
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2013, 20:39:26 »

Was the accelerator fully depressed? The ECU should detect this condition and not fire the injectors, thus not start  :-\

Well, I thought it was, its possible I lifted a bit - this runs a little bit counter to my desire for mechanical sympathy even though I lift as soon as it starts of course, I'll give it another go. I have noticed that blipping the throttle a couple of times seems to clear it ..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.