Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cracked manifold.?  (Read 2500 times)

chris6124

• Donegal
  • omega 3.0 mv6
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 mv6
    • View Profile
cracked manifold.?
« on: 08 August 2013, 03:32:31 »

there is a large crack on the top of my manifold, the car is a 2.2 gls. she seems very low on power and is very sore on fuel. anyone know will fixing this solve both problems ?

albitz

Re: cracked manifold.?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2013, 07:21:28 »

Probably. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2013, 07:29:51 »

I doubt it. I have had three 2.0 Omegas with cracks exhaust manifolds (on top, under the heat shield) and while the spotting noise at idle was annoying there was no obvious decline in performance.

I currently have a 2.5 Omega with a cracked RH exhaust manifold. The crack occurred suddenly two years resulting in a spitting noise idling cold, but diminishing when hot. It has got worse, growling all the time. I have now obtained a second hand manifold and shall change it when I can find the courage. The performance has not changed a bit.

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2013, 08:25:04 »

Big car + 4 pot , a bit like the old 2.0 granada's .. will always use more fuel  :y 4 pots seem to suffer with the cracked manifold problems though ..  :(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2013, 19:38:13 »

I had a leaking EGR pipe. that affected fuel economy big style. replaced it, fuel consumption now pretty good... well after its heated up for two mins... I cant get to the nut to tightem it enough  :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2013, 20:59:21 »

I had a leaking EGR pipe. that affected fuel economy big style. replaced it, fuel consumption now pretty good... well after its heated up for two mins... I cant get to the nut to tightem it enough  :-[
when you get over here will attack that nut :y got a magic tool made by wizards :y :y iits so secret if i told you they would cast spells on me :-\
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2013, 21:38:54 »

Only thing I thought of to tighten that nut might be a crows foot spanner,but I don't have one that big. :-\

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2013, 11:21:39 »

Only thing I thought of to tighten that nut might be a crows foot spanner,but I don't have one that big. :-\

Sounds like Symes 'Magic tool' is made from a real crows foot :D ;D ;D
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2013, 12:11:07 »

;D ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2013, 12:56:41 »

haha nice one symes :)

i'm thinking we'll have better access once we strip it down to just the cam cover.... :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2013, 22:44:35 »

wait and see ;) ;)
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2013, 06:16:48 »

I doubt it. I have had three 2.0 Omegas with cracks exhaust manifolds (on top, under the heat shield) and while the spotting noise at idle was annoying there was no obvious decline in performance.

I currently have a 2.5 Omega with a cracked RH exhaust manifold. The crack occurred suddenly two years resulting in a spitting noise idling cold, but diminishing when hot. It has got worse, growling all the time. I have now obtained a second hand manifold and shall change it when I can find the courage. The performance has not changed a bit.
The 2.5 issue is probably just the gasket failed. My old 2.5 did the same.

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2013, 09:53:11 »

Sounds like Symes 'Magic tool' is made from a real crows foot :D ;D ;D

:o ;D ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2013, 22:50:17 »

I hope you are right, but I doubt it. It happened so suddenly. I suppose a stud could have broken.

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2013, 23:07:19 »

I hope you are right, but I doubt it. It happened so suddenly. I suppose a stud could have broken.

Hmmm, that's not so normal. Usually, it sounds a bit futty on start up, which disapears as it warms up. The worse it gets, the longer it takes for the noise to subside. Until eventually, it never stops and constantly blows.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.