Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: misfire on start up clears when warm  (Read 1181 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
misfire on start up clears when warm
« on: 17 June 2013, 17:46:41 »

Y118NFA facelift 2.2 petrol manual saloon
This car is home for MOT preparation. The engine lump light is on, not the spanner light. The car hesitates cold start when revved, but recovers when hot.I have changed the cam cover gaskets, plugs (plug holes were full of oil) and cleared the breathers. Misfire is still there. Now I suspect coil stick. Do they fail?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: misfire on start up clears when warm
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2013, 18:10:21 »

Y118NFA facelift 2.2 petrol manual saloon
This car is home for MOT preparation. The engine lump light is on, not the spanner light. The car hesitates cold start when revved, but recovers when hot.I have changed the cam cover gaskets, plugs (plug holes were full of oil) and cleared the breathers. Misfire is still there. Now I suspect coil stick. Do they fail?
Yep, if coilpack has spent a prolonged period bathing in oil, could well be goosed. Hazard a guess that the code you`ll get is 0304. When engine is cold, ideally first thing in morning, remove plugs 3 & 4 and check for coolant in plugwells, especially #4.
If you`re over this way anytime Terry I`ve got spare coilpacks to try
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2013, 18:12:36 »

Is it loosing coolant?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2013, 19:01:45 »

Thanks for that offer Rob. I may take you up on it.

I have not had this car long in my drive, but son Ben has not mentioned water loss and it was not low when he delivered it. When I sucked out all the oil from the plug wells I did not notice any water in the oil. I have had  water in plug wells before on my3.2 V6, so I know how it looks.

Rob, I will PM you if I need that plug stick to test. As you know, I am in Bristol on Fridays.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2013, 19:06:54 »

Take out the coilpack & check the condition of the rubber plug covers as these are the first to suffer when immersed in hot oil for any length of time with bits breaking off, splits forming etc. which can cause a spark leak in the plug well leading to weak/non existent spark at the electrode. Also check the body of the coilpack very carefully as they can develop very fine cracks in the body that are hard to see unless you are looking for them & this also causes spark breakdown!
As said by others, check No4 cylinder for coolant in the bore, usually first thing in the morning after being stood overnight is best. No4 is the cylinder nearest the windscreen and is the one most prone to gasket failure. It is also the one most susceptible to water getting into the plug well due to a leaky scuttle.
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2013, 19:15:13 »

Thanks for that offer Rob. I may take you up on it.

I have not had this car long in my drive, but son Ben has not mentioned water loss and it was not low when he delivered it. When I sucked out all the oil from the plug wells I did not notice any water in the oil. I have had  water in plug wells before on my3.2 V6, so I know how it looks.

Rob, I will PM you if I need that plug stick to test. As you know, I am in Bristol on Fridays.
Coilpack Terry 8)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2013, 11:03:23 »

Took my 2003 3.2 for MOT - it passed - mentioned EML light on Y188NFA. Tester said 'bring it up, we will read code for you'. So I did. He had a flashy Snap On universal reader, which reads wirelessly to a keyboard. It read cam sensor and 2 lambda sensors faulty. He cleared the codes, and they stayed cleared on engine start, he took it for a spin, and they still stayed cleared. So I booked MOT test tomorrow. I will report developments.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2013, 21:34:08 »

Submitted car for MOT 11a.m. today. It failed - but only for rear indicator bulbs 'too white'  and front n/s tyre worn on the inside. Bought 2 bulbs at Halfords and fitted them, swopped front n/s wheel with wheel off wife's car, submitted for retest, and at 2.15 it passed. Yippee!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.