Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: who still has a paper driving licence?  (Read 7327 times)

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: who still has a paper driving licence?
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2013, 19:59:04 »

Yup ooooooooooooold green only one here til 2028 and got 2 old style endorsements as well as 3 newer fixed penalties ;D ;D just missed out on the red book type :'(

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #31 on: 08 January 2013, 20:57:19 »

Yep green paper one here, folded to death to fit in my wallet. Three endorsements on it, all expired years ago

No intention of renewing unless reminded. Makes me think though, if not renewed in 2015 and presented after that time, would it be invalid and therefore driving not in accordance..... ? even though it expires in 2028  :-\ :-\ :-\
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 January 2013, 21:00:59 »

Makes me think though, if not renewed in 2015 and presented after that time, would it be invalid and therefore driving not in accordance..... ? even though it expires in 2028  :-\ :-\ :-\

Who knows  :-\ :-\ :-\ There's probably some EU edict already in place to outlaw it

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 January 2013, 22:53:10 »

got to change mine every 12 months pain in the bum realy
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 January 2013, 00:41:24 »

swmbo still has the paper licence, I have the new phot one which, on checking, expires this year which is fine but then needs renewing next year for my HGV/PSV..... ::) ::) ::)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 January 2013, 02:49:35 »

Still got a paper one here...

Can find nothing official on 2015...Other than the paper counterpart of a photo license being phased out.

could find this though :

Though no new all-paper licences are now issued, if you have one these generally don't expire until you're 70, so you don't need to do anything until then unless your address or personal details change. However, by 2033 all licences must be in the photocard format; you'll receive reminders to update it closer to the time.

Once you reach 70 there's no fee to renew, and you'll then get a photocard. If you want to upgrade before then, you can apply to change your paper licence for a photocard, though it'll cost £20 and you'll need to show extra ID (see Directgov).

There do seem to be some rumours that they will 'recall' old style licenses shortly after the counterpart change in 2015. 

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2013, 18:29:07 »

My dad never took a test,was just issued a license with every category :o,but it was during the war so I suppose things like driving tests weren't that important then.

They were and they were not.........

My father-in-law learnt to drive trucks in the Army during WW2, and he once told me that he did have to take a test.  However, it was a very simple one and it was more like a rubber stamping process!  After the war he simply had his Army driving licence converted into a full civilian one. ;)

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2013, 13:28:20 »

Make sure you photocopy your old paper one , many have been lost or come back with wrong entitlement and have to re take the test  ::)

Yep, that was me >:(
Lost my bike entitlement from the paper version. even though I had (at the time) my old pussa's driving permits for a despatch rider they wouldn't accept them, they had to have the original pass certificate. I even got a copy of it from where I took the test (RM Poole) but that was still not sufficient for DVLA. I gave up after 2 years realising I would have to re-take all the tests again if I wanted to ride a bike, lucky (unlucky?) I was not a bike owner at the time, jack knows what might have transpired then.

I may or may not do the CBT, depends how I feel really....

Jon

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2013, 13:35:34 »

My dad never took a test,was just issued a license with every category :o,but it was during the war so I suppose things like driving tests weren't that important then.

My father-in-law learnt to drive trucks in the Army during WW2, and he once told me that he did have to take a test.  However, it was a very simple one and it was more like a rubber stamping process!  After the war he simply had his Army driving licence converted into a full civilian one. ;)

My dad deffo didn't take a test,he didn't go to war(reserved occupation,farmer),he just applied for his license and got the full monty sent :D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2013, 13:55:28 »

My dad deffo didn't take a test,he didn't go to war(reserved occupation,farmer),he just applied for his license and got the full monty sent :D

That would explain it Henry.  The country was too busy "digging for Victory" to worry about driving licenses!  They just wanted the farmers to get on with moving farm produce around. :y :y

albitz

« Reply #40 on: 10 January 2013, 14:46:17 »

My dad never took a test either.He got his licence sometime around 1950,and not long afterwards got a job as a driving instructor. ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2013, 15:07:52 »

My dad never took a test either.He got his licence sometime around 1950,and not long afterwards got a job as a driving instructor. ;D

That is interesting :o :o.  Driving tests, at least for civilians, were  suspended for 7 years from 1939, then for a further year from 1956 due to the Suez Crisis.  At all other times after 1935 officially you had to take a driving test. ;)

albitz

« Reply #42 on: 10 January 2013, 15:16:58 »

This was in Belfast,so probably different regulations. ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #43 on: 10 January 2013, 15:45:11 »

This was in Belfast,so probably different regulations. ;)

Yep, could well be! :D :y :y

albitz

« Reply #44 on: 10 January 2013, 16:15:02 »

We didnt have the 70mph speed limit there until the early 70,s.Just before I became a road user.Spoilsports. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.