Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...  (Read 7389 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...
« Reply #30 on: 05 January 2013, 11:25:39 »

Tell her to keep the Omega. With preventative work, its reliable, and dirt cheap to run (fuel aside).

If she is worried driving about on her own down the motorway, the money saved will by a lifetime's AA membership ;)

The problem we've found is because I'm visiting home less, things are not being spotted, i suspect the rear shock had totally failed for around a month. I noticed it soon as I reversed it off drive, but she had been doing long runs to Surrey & back.

Think the exhaust had gone a couple of weeks ago too  :(

Might keep an eye out for a low mileage newer MV6/Elite Estate
And why would she be able to spot failed shock/exhaust/whatever on an Audi/Merc/Shitbox any better than what she has?

???
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 January 2013, 11:29:28 »

Tell her to keep the Omega. With preventative work, its reliable, and dirt cheap to run (fuel aside).

If she is worried driving about on her own down the motorway, the money saved will by a lifetime's AA membership ;)

The problem we've found is because I'm visiting home less, things are not being spotted, i suspect the rear shock had totally failed for around a month. I noticed it soon as I reversed it off drive, but she had been doing long runs to Surrey & back.

Think the exhaust had gone a couple of weeks ago too  :(

Might keep an eye out for a low mileage newer MV6/Elite Estate
And why would she be able to spot failed shock/exhaust/whatever on an Audi/Merc/Shitbox any better than what she has?

???

If its got 10% of the mileage & its 2 years old instead of 12. Quite probable its going to be fine for a few years

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 05 January 2013, 11:40:02 »

As a compromise, spend 6k or so getting the Omega refreshed: bodywork, new/overhauled running gear etc.

Sure it will still only be worth a grand tops, but you know that it will be good for another decade. Even if you spent 10k on it, it would still be dirt cheap motoring for those 10 years :y

Look at it this way, you aren't trying to make it more valuable, you are aiming to guarantee its continued usefulness  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 January 2013, 11:44:30 »

The problem with sinking silly money into an Omega is that you'll only get £500 back for it when some idiot writes it off for you. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 05 January 2013, 11:52:21 »

The problem with sinking silly money into an Omega is that you'll only get £500 back for it when some idiot writes it off for you. :(
That though had crossed my mind, but does apply to some degree with any car regardless of price bracket :-\

A sensible approach would be to get any rust dealt with, along with new suspension bushes/shocks/springs, rebuild the braking system with new pipes/hoses/calipers, new exhaust and wheel bearings. Car should then be dependable with regular servicing for as long as is required :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 January 2013, 11:55:09 »

Nothing is set yet, its just with a 12 year old Estate, approaching 110k miles it does need fairly regular TLC. Which was not a problem, when I lived at home as I could do odd job here & there most days.

Now the difficulty is my availably to fix things, as currently the exhaust is no longer connected to the back box. A nice cheap replacement has been sourced from Eternal, but its going to be couple of weeks delivery on that, I can't see myself being able to help fit it until first week in Feb.

No doubt cats will need dropping, because the exhaust studs will snap. Means I need to find time when little fatty up the road is available too, all of which means MotherT is without a working Estate for almost a month.

Last time it was shocks, again, order but lot easier to fit. Still made her without Estate for 3 weeks, while I got parts and was available to come back home.

Yes she has the Almera, but its really not suitable for motorway runs and its far from safe should something happen.

05omegav6

« Reply #37 on: 05 January 2013, 12:13:55 »

It is a conundrum, but that car is barely run in :-\ perhaps worth a stainless exhaust, shocks good for another 100k.

Components wear out, and given the age/mileage, this car is at the point were several seemingly significant parts are reaching the end of their life. Apart from the body and the bulk of the wiring, cars are essentially built up of wearing parts.

When faced with a few of these things at the same time, it is very easy to go window shopping. The only sensible advice that I can give is to be sure to do the sums very carefully. The purchase cost of a newer car will buy alot of parts, and if needed, garage time. Also the new car will still need fuel, tax, insurance, servicing, tyres etc.

My personal suggestion would be to renew any component on the Omega thast might see it stranding Mother T at the roadside, so Cam/crank sensor/fuel pump, dis pack, and HBV, keep on top of the servicing and give it a bloody good polish every couple of months. Keep a few pennies to one side just incase it has to visit a garage because you are otherwise engaged. You shouldn't go to far wrong with it :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 January 2013, 12:16:11 »

They are cheap as chips to run, no doubt about that.

Another factory is I think MotherT fancies something new  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2013, 12:22:16 »

Ah that old chestnut ::)

Might have a fight on your hands, but doesn't alter the fact that the Omega is the most economically efficient solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 January 2013, 13:51:12 »

If its got 10% of the mileage & its 2 years old instead of 12. Quite probable its going to be fine for a few years
Well, my Mum's beemer failed its first ever MOT on 2 rear shocks. One of Mrs TB's lease cars needed the RAC on the very first day we had it.  My old, beloved Rover 25 was back in the dealers for repair the day after I got it. My bro's X5, although 7 or 8 years old now lives in North Oxford BMW, always has - hopefully the £7k on a new gearbox will finally overcome the constant drivetrain issues its always suffered.

New does not always mean more reliable ;). In fact rarely so. You know what you have done to your own, rather than what some dealer or garage has claimed to have been done. Thus its reliability increases, simply due to that.

Omega owners have the advantage of a wealth of knowledge, and a willingness to help, from OOFers. And many (but sadly not enough) members have access to full dealer level diagnostics equipment within a 1hr drive.

Better the devil you know.

Of course, if she fancies a change, all the above counts for shit ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 January 2013, 14:06:24 »

Well, my Mum's beemer failed its first ever MOT on 2 rear shocks. One of Mrs TB's lease cars needed the RAC on the very first day we had it.  My old, beloved Rover 25 was back in the dealers for repair the day after I got it. My bro's X5, although 7 or 8 years old now lives in North Oxford BMW, always has - hopefully the £7k on a new gearbox will finally overcome the constant drivetrain issues its always suffered.

New does not always mean more reliable ;). In fact rarely so. You know what you have done to your own, rather than what some dealer or garage has claimed to have been done. Thus its reliability increases, simply due to that.

Omega owners have the advantage of a wealth of knowledge, and a willingness to help, from OOFers. And many (but sadly not enough) members have access to full dealer level diagnostics equipment within a 1hr drive.

Better the devil you know.

Of course, if she fancies a change, all the above counts for shit ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #42 on: 05 January 2013, 14:56:02 »

That Audi would do me; very nice indeed! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

After that all I would want is a V12! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

In my dreams though! ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 January 2013, 22:42:20 »

No doubt cats will need dropping, because the exhaust studs will snap.

if the exhaust had been fitted correctally,eg run the flanges with a 5/16 drill then fitted m8x65 nuts bolts washers and lots o copperslipage wouldnt need to drop front pipes. ???
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2013, 23:17:36 »

No doubt cats will need dropping, because the exhaust studs will snap.

if the exhaust had been fitted correctally,eg run the flanges with a 5/16 drill then fitted m8x65 nuts bolts washers and lots o copperslipage wouldnt need to drop front pipes. ???

Done too many exhausts, bet 3 of the 4 snap. To be fair, it's same one that was on the car when we bought it almost 5 years ago now
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.