Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ten Bob  (Read 1126 times)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
ten Bob
« on: 07 December 2012, 22:42:49 »

royal mail..want ten Bob (50p) to send a second class xmas card..

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: ten Bob
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2012, 22:57:47 »

:o :o Didn't realise they were that much, I don't use many these days, and when I do I tend to buy a book of 1st class along with some items of shopping so don't notice........ ::) ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2012, 23:19:09 »

but in 1971 when you were last paid in £sd, what was your wage? All things in proportion (my first weeks wage after food & accom had been deducted, was £18  ???)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2012, 23:27:54 »

but in 1971 when you were last paid in £sd, what was your wage? All things in proportion (my first weeks wage after food & accom had been deducted, was £18  ???)

What were you doing Andy? in 1972 Mine was only £8 and I had to give my Mum £5........Mind I was only 15, fill in Job before HMS Ganges.. :y :y  My step sons pay a considerable less % than I did when living at home and both on a fair income, one has managed to pay me back £6000 in a year :y but I am just not going there with swmbo...... :-X :-X :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2012, 23:34:22 »

What were you doing Andy? in 1972 Mine was only £8 and I had to give my Mum £5........Mind I was only 15, fill in Job before HMS Ganges.. :y :y  My step sons pay a considerable less % than I did when living at home and both on a fair income, one has managed to pay me back £6000 in a year :y but I am just not going there with swmbo...... :-X :-X :-X

Sorry! Should've said first 'proper' wage ...... HMS Fisgard Sept 1979   ;) ;)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2012, 23:42:14 »

That makes more sense.......... :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2012, 23:43:38 »

I did leave a slight clue when I mentioned food & accom  ;) ;)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2012, 23:53:50 »

I did leave a slight clue when I mentioned food & accom  ;) ;)

I took that as paying your Mum board and lodging, or whatever it may be called in your neck of the woods.... ::) ::) ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2012, 01:02:56 »

Yep all things in proportion, in 1969 just married, new house on mortgage, running a TR6, wife an Imp, and earning £50 a week.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

cleggy

« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2012, 08:39:20 »

Yep all things in proportion, in 1969 just married, new house on mortgage, running a TR6, wife an Imp, and earning £50 a week.

That was a good salary in 1969 :y I remember when I got to £20 in 1971, the magic £1000 a year :y

I must have been paid at least £2,000 a year by 1973 becauce I bought a house for £8,500 with 10% deposit and four times my annual salary at 4% on mortgage. I was Senior Computer Operator at the Halifax back then.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2012, 09:21:18 »

Yes, and mine in 1971 was £6.10.6d (£6.50 after 15th February), after it had risen from £5.10.0d in 1968/9.  Vamps you are so right, it is all in proportion! :y :y

I would not have been able to pay 10/- for a stamp then, but now with our contemporary incomes 50p is alright, and I would say still cheap considering you can post that card in a post box anywhere in the country and it will arrive within about 2 days (2nd Class) anywhere in the country, through the door to the recipient.  How good is that for 50p? 8) 8)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2012, 10:19:42 »

I think the Royal Mail have missed a trick with Xmas postage.

They ought to do a special cheaper stamp just for Christmas. The Mother in law has just posted 74 cards. Used to be over 80 each year. She is thinking of not bothering next year as the cards have increased in price too.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.