Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car needed for touring europe  (Read 2681 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Car needed for touring europe
« on: 05 August 2012, 10:44:46 »

Hi guys, I'm planning a trip round europe next year and I'm wondering which vehicles out there are best on fuel. Obviously I'll be looking for something with lots of space and comfort as well. Not asking for much I know but all suggestions are welcome. Obviously it will need decent power as well  :y and I dont want to spend a fortune either. Cheers
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
Re: Car needed for touring europe
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2012, 11:07:38 »

Passat tdi estate?  So far the best fuel economy in any vehicle I've ever owned.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2012, 11:18:21 »

Any VAG 1.9 diesel. For larger cars, Insignia and Mundano diesels are almost as economical, but cost more to buy. Omega 2.2DTi should return 45mpg on a run like that, cheap.
Grumpy old man

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2012, 11:25:11 »

I was thinking of 2.2dti, I'm not sure where but I think I seen something  on here last week about a volvo and 80mpg??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2012, 11:29:45 »

I was thinking of 2.2dti, I'm not sure where but I think I seen something  on here last week about a volvo and 80mpg??
You ain't gonna want a little shitbox for that kind of trip...  ...unless your 'touring europe' is a trip to City Europe ;D
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2012, 11:33:08 »

LPG converted V6 Omega ::) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2012, 11:47:10 »

You ain't gonna want a little shitbox for that kind of trip...  ...unless your 'touring europe' is a trip to City Europe ;D

I couldnt remember what type of volvo it was though thats why I mentioned it!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2012, 11:47:18 »

With diesel in the land of the frogs being €1.30 (shade over £1), diesel makes a lot of sense in some parts of Europe.  Additionally, whilst in a 3.0l, I reckon you could get close to a 50mpg equilivent on a run, I still reckon on a 3.2 you'd struggle to get much better than 40mpg equilavent
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2012, 11:49:03 »

With diesel in the land of the frogs being €1.30 (shade over £1), diesel makes a lot of sense in some parts of Europe.  Additionally, whilst in a 3.0l, I reckon you could get close to a 50mpg equilivent on a run, I still reckon on a 3.2 you'd struggle to get much better than 40mpg equilavent

But a lot more fun to drive than any oil burner ;)

Plus, depending where in Euroland the planned trip is, LPG can be very, very cheap (sub 40p/L) ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2012, 11:50:59 »

I couldnt remember what type of volvo it was though thats why I mentioned it!
Anything 80mpg is in shitbox teriitory. I'm sure 1.3CDTi Corsas could get close (having driven one in Spain, I know they can get 70mpg, including driving from Cartagena to Alicante in 3rd gear to purposely use fuel ::)). I imagine Ford have something similar, as do VAG.

But all in shitbox territory.

Big cars, 'large family' style, like Mundano/Insignia, you're looking nearer 50mpg, but be aware that town driving in large cars hammers the economy.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2012, 11:52:22 »

Plus, depending where in Euroland the planned trip is, LPG can be very, very cheap (sub 40p/L) ;)
I've only been to France this year. LPG was around €0.90 a litre, so similar to here. Didn't see too much of it either.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 August 2012, 11:56:07 »

I've only been to France this year. LPG was around €0.90 a litre, so similar to here. Didn't see too much of it either.
It's much cheaper in the supermarkets ;) I've never had too much of an issue finding it TBH :-\

When we went to Italy I priced cheap flights and hire car against driving down and (even with hotels) it was about the same cost and much more fun to drive :y Worked out much cheaper driving in the end because a very kind OOF member put us up :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2012, 12:00:54 »

It's much cheaper in the supermarkets ;) I've never had too much of an issue finding it TBH :-\

When we went to Italy I priced cheap flights and hire car against driving down and (even with hotels) it was about the same cost and much more fun to drive :y Worked out much cheaper driving in the end because a very kind OOF member put us up :y
This year, I was looking out for LPG, for comparison. And, there is a joke when we go abroad with my mate Abbo, that we have to go to a supermarket every day ;D.

Honestly, in 2,500 miles, some on autoroutes, and awful lot on N roads, and at least a dozen trips to supermarkets, I reckon I saw 2 or 3.

In the end, I was glad we took the Insignia. We would have been really scrabbling around looking for LPG, and would likely have been on petrol (wash my mouth out with soap)
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 05 August 2012, 12:12:45 »

Its scarcer than that round these parts at the moment. Pump on the A12 Witham has been broken for three weeks. Total garage A12 Marks Tey was closed for refurb.Now reopened but LPG pump is broken.Heybridge  garage with LPG has closed down.Need to make a special trip to Sudbury or BP A12 near the football ground,both a 20 mile round trip. :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2012, 12:15:34 »

Its scarcer than that round these parts at the moment. Pump on the A12 Witham has been broken for three weeks. Total garage A12 Marks Tey was closed for refurb.Now reopened but LPG pump is broken.Heybridge  garage with LPG has closed down.Need to make a special trip to Sudbury or BP A12 near the football ground,both a 20 mile round trip. :(
I'm quite lucky at the moment. The local BP is within 1p of anywhere else within 40 miles. Plus I get Nectar points, and 1% back on my debit card at BP.

Its a killer on rear tyres though, but at least the 'tards have learnt not to ask me if I want coffee ::)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.