Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's using AOL?  (Read 5245 times)

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
Re: Who's using AOL?
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2008, 17:40:04 »

i know what you mean, absoloute f*****g crap. So f*****g expensive aswell

:-?
Hope you're talking about AOL!
 :y

Yea i am ;D ;D ;D ;D
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

PaulW

• Omega Knight
  • Somewhere near Manchester
  • Come on you fiend!
    • Some crappy Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2008, 17:44:24 »

Thought Mrs The Boy had pulled the wrong plug out to plug the Hair Dryer in ;D
No, Linux is crap enough to be able to self destruct without her intervention...

:o :o
::) Ah grasshopper, he understands-not; all hail the way of the penguin!  ::)

::)
Humbugs...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2008, 18:27:42 »

Thought Mrs The Boy had pulled the wrong plug out to plug the Hair Dryer in ;D
No, Linux is crap enough to be able to self destruct without her intervention...

:o :o
::) Ah grasshopper, he understands-not; the way of the penguin!  ::)
I have to work with that piece of crap Linux day in day out.  Useless piece of crap.

We haven't many of them, compared to other OS's, but they take a fair amount of my time.  Also, its the only OS we run (fully internet facing) thats ever been compromised.

Don't believe the type from the anti MS brigade, Linux is slow, poor resource mgmt, unable to deal with task mgmt under load, and unreliable.
Grumpy old man

miggy

« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2008, 19:20:07 »

I am on AOL....and yes they are a bunch of rather useless toss"rs.

A O HELL

>:( >:( >:(

HolyCount

« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2008, 19:25:25 »

I was with AOL for years -- since the days of AOL 1.  But gave it all up for SKY --- haven't looked back and saved a packet ( to spend on the miggy !)

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2008, 20:04:59 »

If you choose to leave A.O.L to go with someone else you'll have to get a    "migration code" off them to give to your new provider but dont assume that once thats done you are free from A.O.L coz you aint my friend as they'll keep billing you even if you've cancelled your direct debit... So watch out......

Keith...........

HolyCount

« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2008, 22:02:28 »

If you choose to leave A.O.L to go with someone else you'll have to get a    "migration code" off them to give to your new provider but dont assume that once thats done you are free from A.O.L coz you aint my friend as they'll keep billing you even if you've cancelled your direct debit... So watch out......

Keith...........

Very true -- they billed me for a couple of months after I had migrated -- til I noticed and put them straight  >:(

Iainv6

• Kinross
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 April 2008, 22:27:45 »

AOL has always sucked, i know BT uncapped is expensive, but because they own the line and hardware they problem solve quicker than most ISP's. And i also download about 200 gig's of movie's etc evey month, and to do that you need an unthrottled and uncapped service. AOL has neither, even if they claim otherwise.

Hmnn... now that i think about it, BT does throttle SOME p2p services, but you can work round it with proxys and random ports.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 April 2008, 22:33:27 »

AOL has always sucked, i know BT uncapped is expensive, but because they own the line and hardware they problem solve quicker than most ISP's. And i also download about 200 gig's of movie's etc evey month, and to do that you need an unthrottled and uncapped service. AOL has neither, even if they claim otherwise.

Hmnn... now that i think about it, BT does throttle SOME p2p services, but you can work round it with proxys and random ports.
No, has to be run as seperate entities for regulatory reasons.

Also, last persion I know who downloaded that much on BT consumer ISP ended up with a £100 bill....
Grumpy old man

justme

• Shadowland
  • Testing by TB
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 April 2008, 22:42:42 »

AOL = Always Off Line

Left them a few years ago, useless...

Na "Assholes on line"
Test sig...

Iainv6

• Kinross
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2008, 21:35:08 »

Also, last persion I know who downloaded that much on BT consumer ISP ended up with a £100 bill....

Beg to differ mate, BT have engineers in all citys and most towns, so they DO respond to problems faster than say Pipex or tiscali ;)
 As for the bandwidth question? well i pay 50 quid a month for an uncapped service, UNCAPPED, so i don't know what you mean by 'consumer ISP' , for me? well it was nearer 250gig's last month (I wanted to catch up on 'Lost') I suppose it depends on what you use you're connection for.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2008, 21:45:38 »

Beg to differ mate, BT have engineers in all citys and most towns, so they DO respond to problems faster than say Pipex or tiscali ;)
 As for the bandwidth question? well i pay 50 quid a month for an uncapped service, UNCAPPED, so i don't know what you mean by 'consumer ISP' , for me? well it was nearer 250gig's last month (I wanted to catch up on 'Lost') I suppose it depends on what you use you're connection for.
Sorry, you are incorrect.  BT do not have mobile ISP engineers.  The engineers you see are Openreach engineers, and are entirely unrelated with the ISPs (BT Yahoo, BT Broadband, BT Connect, Plusnet) that BT own.  If a BT ISP customer has a line fault, BT ISPs have to use the same BT Wholesale systems and processes as every other BT Wholesale customer, and get the same treatment.

I'm interested in what ISP you use - is it consumer or a business account (Business generally are uncapped).  Still, 250Gb is excessive even for a small business.  What the hell do you use that much bandwidth for - you'd be better off with a LES10 or similar circuit if your legitimate needs are that high :o - That is higher than a 1Mb max'd out line 24/7
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 13 April 2008, 21:48:11 »

I'm on BT now and they gave me a free PVR with IPTV fascilities (BT Vision)

Martin_1962

« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2008, 21:49:34 »

Sorry, you are incorrect.  BT do not have mobile ISP engineers.  The engineers you see are Openreach engineers, and are entirely unrelated with the ISPs (BT Yahoo, BT Broadband, BT Connect, Plusnet) that BT own.  If a BT ISP customer has a line fault, BT ISPs have to use the same BT Wholesale systems and processes as every other BT Wholesale customer, and get the same treatment.

I'm interested in what ISP you use - is it consumer or a business account (Business generally are uncapped).  Still, 250Gb is excessive even for a small business.  What the hell do you use that much bandwidth for - you'd be better off with a LES10 or similar circuit if your legitimate needs are that high :o - That is higher than a 1Mb max'd out line 24/7

I reckon BT Total Broadband option 3

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 April 2008, 21:50:17 »

And the reason no consumer ISP will do true unlimited bandwidth is costs - a max'd out 8Mbit line costs around £1500 per month in Central costs alone. This does not include port costs (£6-£8 per month).  Then there are transit costs.  So a max'd out 8Mb line is approaching £2k per month.  So losing the ISP £1950 per month.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.