Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Notebook / PC question ..  (Read 2938 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Notebook / PC question ..
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2012, 10:17:42 »

I'd also advise not to use Win7 on that configuration.
Simply lacks the juice for win7
Although xp is pretty outdated now.
As TheVoy suggested put more RAM in it and see about hard drive, but I'm not sure how viable an option this is (depends how old an laptop is)
Most netbooks are similar spec.  a 2Gb memory module is around £20 (sadly, you'll have to throw away the original module).  For SSDs, I will only use Crucial m4 at the moment, so a 64Gb will be around £50, 128Gb about £90.

Depends on the make, my netbook is a Advent 4214 with Atom N270 and as far as i can find out, it carnt take any more than 1GB of memory, so that may not be an option available for the OP.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 June 2012, 10:44:12 »

As TheVoy suggested put more RAM in it and see about hard drive, but I'm not sure how viable an option this is (depends how old an laptop is)
Most netbooks are similar spec.  a 2Gb memory module is around £20 (sadly, you'll have to throw away the original module).  For SSDs, I will only use Crucial m4 at the moment, so a 64Gb will be around £50, 128Gb about £90.

Depends on the make, my netbook is a Advent 4214 with Atom N270 and as far as i can find out, it carnt take any more than 1GB of memory, so that may not be an option available for the OP.
Would need to check, but should be a limitation of the CPU.  Assuming BIOS isn't purposely restrictive.
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2012, 13:03:00 »

Try it, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that this Advent Milano would only take 1GB. It's running 2GB quite happily.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 June 2012, 13:06:44 »

Try it, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that this Advent Milano would only take 1GB. It's running 2GB quite happily.
Yeah, I know someone running a WHS on a later Atom dual core, manufacturer says 2Gb, Intel say 4Gb, so he uses 4 ;D
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2012, 19:29:20 »

Think i will  :y

One memory supplier site, i looked at, scanned my netbook, to see what it was, it correctly identified it, then put up manu's spec saying 1GB max, but then was quite willing to flog me a 2GB upgrade for it......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2012, 19:38:01 »

One memory supplier site, i looked at, scanned my netbook, to see what it was, it correctly identified it, then put up manu's spec saying 1GB max, but then was quite willing to flog me a 2GB upgrade for it......
Crucial?  Contact them, I found them really helpful (although occasionally have to get back to you after speaking to techies).  And they are on topcashback ;)
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2012, 19:57:17 »

Crucial?  Contact them, I found them really helpful (although occasionally have to get back to you after speaking to techies).  And they are on topcashback ;)

Nope, apart from Crucial doesnt recognise the Advent 4214 (fine with 4213/4211) there also about a fiver more expensive than offtek.co.uk for a 2Gb simm (whose site correctly identified my notebook)  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.