Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Traders watch out, DVLA are about  (Read 2269 times)

Galahad

• Bath
    • 2000 Omega 2.2 GLS
    • View Profile
Traders watch out, DVLA are about
« on: 15 March 2012, 23:46:57 »

Think putting a car into trade absolves you of any problems from the DVLA? Think again!

The DVLA are exploiting to the fullest, the SORN/Continuous Licensing introduction with full vigour, and they are taking vehicles you simply wouldn't expect.

They are currently in the South West of England right now, in the Bath/Bristol area, and they are only going to make this more widespread as it will pay them big money to do it before Government realises they've cocked up.

New rules introduced in 2004 stated that if you're not taxing your vehicle, it has to be declared SORN.

Recently, they also introduced rules stating that if the vehicle wasn't declared SORN, then it has to be insured.

Sounds great in principle, but what about Traders?

Filling out Section 9 of the V5C/3 Logbook (i.e. the yellow section) does NOT exempt you from the DVLA being able to take your car!!!!

Think i'm joking? Tell that to several traders near Bath that have had cars clamped and then removed.

The DVLA have subcontracted a company to go around in a new Transit, which has cameras on each corner of the roof. Allegedly they also have sound recording equipment that can work upto a range of 20metres or so from the van, so anything you say is recorded, so if you're trying to give someone a headsup to move a car, its on record, and obviously if you threaten the drivers/enforcement officers, they've got that down as well.

But herein lies the problem.

If you collect a vehicle from a customer that you've just bought that is on a SORN, the second the DVLA receive the yellow part of the logbook, that SORN is now NULL AND VOID.

The trader cannot and is not supposed to declare SORN, because they are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is still taxed, you don't have a problem, but if it isn't taxed, then you do.

So, you have a vehicle that is untaxed and now cannot be SORNed, so I asked the enforcement guy, "so technically you can still take the vehicle?" and he said "yes".

If its on a public highway.....they'll take it (people only have themselves to blame in that situation)

If its being worked on, they won't take it..... however.

If its on the work premises and has been in trade for what they perceive as a long duration and doesn't appear to be worked on.... they can take it!

If the vehicle is off the road but in a public car park or communal car park and isn't taxed or SORNed, they can take it!!

If the vehicle is on the driveway of a private dwelling (i.e. a house) and registered to that address, they can't take it!!

A vehicle also attracts their attention if from the date of expiry of the last tax disc (2months and 1 day from expiry), it hasn't been retaxed or SORNed, they can take it!!

A couple of local garages that have had customers cars, a couple of the cars were taken because they were working on other vehicles, and the DVLA basically said "you've got 5 cars here but only two are being worked on" so they took the others!!

You think i'm kidding? I asked a Police Officer on the legalities of cars being in trade, and he directed me to speak to the DVLA guy, "he'll know more of the ins and outs" he said......... which pretty much means the Police will give the DVLA Carte Blanche to do what they like, irrespective of whether or not its right or proper or legal.

Secondly, the DVLA guy was good enough to tell me that its down to his "reasonable discretion", which can largely mean anything.

I gave him the example of a massive car sales place that has 200 cars that are all in trade.

He tried to claim that DVLA wouldn't touch vehicles for a period of 6 weeks, and then they would expect the car to now be out of trade and put into someones name.

I said to him thats ridiculous, because it is entirely conceivable that a trader can legitimately have a car hanging around for a long duration unsold, and now you are insisting that the trader has to devalue the car by adding himself as an owner, just because he couldn't sell it quickly enough?!?!?

So, the upshot is, that lots more legitimate traders are going to lose some of their cars, through no fault of their own via a system that doesn't allow them the ability to escape without punishment.

Watch out chaps, if in doubt, keep them out of sight, he did say that he wouldn't be making a point to go into premises to seize vehicles, but did try to claim he could certainly do it.

Read more: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=125488#ixzz3qEggFJxm

Please feel free to spread this around, this isn't BS, its not nonsense, its happening, and happening now!!!

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: Traders watch out, DVLA are about
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2012, 08:02:51 »

What an absolute piss take  >:( >:( >:(
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2012, 08:16:34 »

Well thats Vosa / Dvla for you  ::)

Nothing more then a bunch of money grabbin, pish taking merchant bankers   >:( >:(

Dr_X

« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2012, 08:57:19 »

Can a trader tax a vehicle with trade insurance?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2012, 09:12:19 »

Yes if they fill out the little V5c but then they can't pass that slip onto the new owner when they sell it
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2012, 10:21:47 »

Perhaps this is just another underhand method of deleting all used cars like the scrappage scheme so that we can all drive around in a nice 'green' Prius.

I don't think anyone with an ounce of sense could every believe scrapping one item to buy another is environmentally friendly!

This make I laugh...
Forward to 2:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dXE6zSRsJc

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2012, 10:58:29 »

:y for Seasick Steve!

Love the Morris Minor guitar, too  :D

Simon23

• Hull
    • 2 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2012, 11:12:33 »

Interesting.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2012, 11:13:24 »

How come this hasn't hit the media?

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2012, 11:15:46 »

Seems a similar cut'n'paste to the saving petrol circular to me...

Galahad

• Bath
    • 2000 Omega 2.2 GLS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2012, 12:01:29 »

Seems a similar cut'n'paste to the saving petrol circular to me...

No mate its not.  That link and the thread is entirely written by me.

I've witnessed all this first hand, its happening right now, and people seem to be utterly oblivious to it happening.

Media have been informed, as has the MP Mike Penning who is overall responsible for the DVLA from a ministerial angle.

DVLA are exploiting people plain and simple, and the reason why they are targetting traders?  From the DVLA enforcement officers own mouth "because they are such easy targets, its easy pickings, we can't keep up with the amount of vehicles we're seizing".

Please do NOT get complacent over this, this is not a random circular by someone with too much time on their hands, I had to literally HIDE all my vehicles yesterday because of this.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2012, 12:16:53 »

Yes if they fill out the little V5c but then they can't pass that slip onto the new owner when they sell it

I tax vehicles with my trade insurance without any problems, and the Post Office dosn't require the green slip to be filled out.  That's fine for part timers like me with one car at a time, but a potential costly nightmare for traders with lots of stock!!  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2012, 12:24:31 »

I tax vehicles with my trade insurance without any problems, and the Post Office dosn't require the green slip to be filled out.  That's fine for part timers like me with one car at a time, but a potential costly nightmare for traders with lots of stock!!  :-\

Didn't realise you could get away without doing that,we live and learn :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2012, 17:58:55 »

I've never had a problem, but I always make sure they see the traders insurance first and be very friendly!!!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2012, 20:35:39 »

Must admit I thought a traders insurance policy, although far from cheap, covered all that, no?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.