Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre opinions  (Read 1737 times)

Martian

Tyre opinions
« on: 06 March 2012, 14:59:48 »

Just had a proper look at the Beemer and it's definitely time for new boots all round.

I've done a bit of Googling and after reading several reviews I'm pretty much settled on Kumho Ecsta KU31's (225/50/ZR16) which I can get for £309.44 inc VAT (which also includes fitting, balancing, and new valves).
I don't drive like Miss Daisy, but my days of hooning it are long gone.

Like everybody, I'm after something that offers low noise, decent grip and decent wear life without breaking the bank.
In case it matters, they are going on a 4 door M-Technik 318iS (140BHP)

While reviews are all well & good, I do prefer opinions based on personal experience......over to you ladies & gents.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre opinions
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2012, 15:15:01 »

I had Falkens fitted before on my 2.2, its quite possible views of them have been documented before  ::)

While on an underpowered 2.2 they are acceptable, I knew they were not for a 3.2. Popped Nexen N6000's on the Elite, which are 235/45/17 @ £90 a corner.

Only done around 1,000 miles on them so far, no complaints. Big thing for me was tyre noise the Falkens are super silent. They grip well in wet, only broke traction when I've been silly with the go-go pedal.

Perfectly acceptable for "normal" driving, but term normal will vary greatly on there.  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2012, 15:17:00 »

I was pretty happy with the KU31s I had on the Omega.

Not the hardest wearing tyre in the world but that's the price you pay for the level of dry grip which was good, although with a little less "feel" than other tyres. Wet performance was also fine.

Noise was fine although SportContact 3s and those awful Falkens that Chrisgixer had were better in that respect. If the Falkens work OK on the BMW they might be worth considering but there was something odd about they way they didn't like going in a straight line on an Omega.

Last time it was tyre time I decided to try a couple of sub-£100 a corner tyres. I'm currently running General Altimax UHPs on the front, and I'm happy with them so far. Nexen 6000s on the back. Jury's out on them. I think they are breaking away before the fronts at the moment. Noise level on both of these is also good but not the best I've had. In the wet they are certainly not scary but haven't really pushed them, TBH.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2012, 15:27:39 »

IIf the Falkens work OK on the BMW they might be worth considering but there was something odd about they way they didn't like going in a straight line on an Omega.

From descriptions you and Chris give, its strength in the tyre. Maybe when it steps up to 17" it has issues, as 16" its reasonable

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2012, 15:33:56 »

IIf the Falkens work OK on the BMW they might be worth considering but there was something odd about they way they didn't like going in a straight line on an Omega.

From descriptions you and Chris give, its strength in the tyre. Maybe when it steps up to 17" it has issues, as 16" its reasonable

Yep, may well work well on a 3 series. I'd be wanting to see confirmation that BMW forum members weren't foaming at the mouth at their mere mention like some on here do before buying a set of 4 though. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2012, 15:53:55 »

Yep, may well work well on a 3 series. I'd be wanting to see confirmation that BMW forum members weren't foaming at the mouth at their mere mention like some on here do before buying a set of 4 though. ;)

A favourite tyre of BMW owners are Avon's, Dunlops, Pirelli's and Goodyears generally. My favourite tyre is a Continental SC's to be honest, found them best on everything I've owned. Handled a front wheel drive SAAB with 280 BHP no problem.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2012, 18:26:34 »

Had KU31 on the little Rover before I wrote it off.  A good tyre, grips well wet or dry, but doesn't warn you when its going to kill you - overcook it, and it grips, then just lets go. IME.

Not tried them on a (proper) beemer,
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2012, 19:10:10 »

there are various expectations when buying a tire..

some expect pure performance (ie fastest lap times)

where as some drivers expect more grip for safety..

ther are 2 ways you can choose .. either you use 2 different sets for summer and winter or
you can use an all season tire.. I have been watching this forum for long time.. and I concluded that
most UK drivers dont prefer buying winter tires even they grip better in rainy/frosty conditions..

so, after reading various tests I decided its better to use all season tires for UK drivers sacrificing a bit of speed in summer..and a bit of traction on ice..

so my recommendation will be all season tires of various price range and size
for 225 55 16

Kumho solus KH 21
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=59864891.110.21749&typ=R-156538&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN

Hankook Optimo 4s
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=59864891.110.21749&typ=R-159941&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN

Vredestein quatrac 3
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=59864891.110.21749&typ=R-149355&ranzahl=4&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=GAN

and alternatively
215 55 16 size would also do the job with less fuel consumption
of which the prices drop 10-12 £ per each (I am using that size on Omega without any problems)

and as the bmw is also RWD a bit of weight in boot and those tires, in winter months will keep you away from problems..
« Last Edit: 06 March 2012, 19:11:55 by cem »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2012, 20:08:43 »

I don't have enough of a cross section of cars owned to confirm this, but (on rear wheel drive), my theory is the suspension design has a major part to play in a tyres suitability. McPherson strut suspension, as on the omega appears to be the simplest and most robust with little wear on joints(mostly because there are few joints in the first place), this design gives a lot of camber deflection on the fronts though, which wears the tyres on the edges more, with more suspension travel which allows softer suspension.
 Double wishbone design seems far more accurate. Firmer with less camber deflection which gives more even wear. But as its far firmer. Noise and vibration become more of an issue.

Firmer suspension would work well with a softer side wall tyre which is what the F f f falkens seem to be. Certainly I gather BMW fori seem keen to promote F f f falkens as it " transforms the car " at least initially, with very low noise and comfy ride. This is immediately obvious on the omega as well, the quietest and comfyest tyre I've ever encountered. Just completely unsuited to its suspension design, ESP on Elite, and from about 1/3 worn refused to go in a straight line, and by two thirds worn where impossible to keep in the middle of the carriageway above 40mph on a bumpy B road.

I do wonder if the 452 might be more suitable on her Lexus though, as it has stability accuracy and firmness in spades. Ku31 fitted and they are quite noisy on this car, with tyre buzz when pulling up on the brakes which may subside with more use. However given previous experience i'd be exceedingly reluctant to fit them to a wheel barrow never mind a car. BUT then again I do see where they "might" have a use, small front wheel drive cars maybe.

Anyway, point is, it's possible to tune the suspension with a more suitable tyre. The first point of any suspension is the tyre itself after all, matching the tyre to the suspension would appear to be important. Experience first hand being key. If you can find a forum that works that of course. ;)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2012, 11:14:33 »

Last tyres fitted to my previous mig before I sold it  :( were Hankook Ventus S1 EVO I think.
Budget price compared to other tyres, way better than anything I had before (Dunlop, Pirelli) and cheaper
I would definitely recommend these to every forum member.
I think hankook are now OEM tyres for many manufacturers
Last time I read some ADAC tests hankook came just second after Continental SportContact but cost half the price

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2012, 20:49:03 »

Hankook ventus S1 is really a good tire.But their prices here is no different than famous brands :-\

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2012, 20:50:20 »

::)

opssie wrong ip ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.