Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio dilema  (Read 1696 times)

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
Audio dilema
« on: 04 March 2012, 23:05:15 »

This is not a plea for help in fixing an audio problem. When i bought my Elite estate a few years ago it had a Sony cd/radio unit fitted with a facia adapter but, although it worked ok, did not look altogether pleasing. Not knowing what i know now about the Seimens/VDO headunits and their cd-r playback shortcomings, i thought i would bring mine "back to standard" and purchased and fitted a secondhand unit. I have now, after a couple of years, decided i should have kept the Sony unit. I have been looking around at some double din units within my price range, and have decided on possibly fitting a JVC (KW-XR611) or Kenwood (DPX 404U) double din unit. Trouble is i have read the post from Dave DND regarding changing headunits and what needs to be done and i am wondering if the former owner had the job done properly or just fitted the Sony unit. In the worst case senario it would mean that i would have to change speakers, wiring loom, bypass Bose amp etc. which would bump the price up considerably. Dilema is; Do i keep what ive got or go for the upgrade with possible considerable extra costs?  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Audio dilema
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2012, 23:17:16 »

Moved here as it will be more likely to get a response.

Fist things first.. Does the car still have the Bose amp and speakers installed or were these removed when the Phony head unit was installed? You need to figure out what you've currently got before we can advise, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2012, 23:26:51 »

Bose amp still in quarter panel in back of my estate. Cant see if it has been by-passed. Not sure about speakers either. Will have to take door card off sometime this week and check. Both the Sony unit i had fitted originally and the replacement VDO headunit worked ok.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2012, 00:10:08 »

Sounds to me like someone has pluged in the Sony HU via an adapter through the Bose system, quiet common even for Ice Installers to do, other wise there would be some major surgery on the wiring to and from the Bose Amp. (tend to get all or nothing on the Vol Control if this if the case).

If this is the case either consider putting back an Omega Bose configured HU or rip it all out, including speakers and Subs and start again from fresh.

Chris   

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2012, 12:00:48 »

Sounds to me like someone has pluged in the Sony HU via an adapter through the Bose system, quiet common even for Ice Installers to do, other wise there would be some major surgery on the wiring to and from the Bose Amp. (tend to get all or nothing on the Vol Control if this if the case).

If this is the case either consider putting back an Omega Bose configured HU or rip it all out, including speakers and Subs and start again from fresh.

Chris

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say. You need to establish what you currently have running or bypassed.

:-\
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

robbo299

• luton, beds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2012, 20:13:58 »

Just to clarify matters chaps..
1, The Sony cd/radio was fitted in the car when i bought it a few years ago.
2, I had the seconhand Vauxhall VDO headunit fitted by an auto audio technician a few months after i had bought the car.
3, Both worked ok with no probs with volume control.
I think for my own peace of mind i will visit a bona fida installer and get a quote for a proper new installation of a new, either the JVC or Kenwood, unit and all the sundries.
Thanks for the comments.  :y
Cheers, Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.