Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayonaise oil  (Read 906 times)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
Mayonaise oil
« on: 21 February 2012, 10:58:21 »

Since  I bought this car its had mayonaise in the filler cap I have done the breathers etc but it does seem to be going which I thought it would do (its done approx 1000 miles in a month ) and was meant to have been serviced when I had it , do I just need to change the oil a few times to clear it  :-\
Is it worth putting in an engine flush before changing the oik
And lastly is the genuine oil still a good deal from VX 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Mayonaise oil
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2012, 11:09:20 »

I wouldn't flush, personally. If the oil is blackening straight away it might be worth a couple of oil changes at 1,000 mile intervals. 10w40 on a trade card is still a good plan. :y

As long as the coolant is remaining clean, the breathers are clear and the mayo is restricted to the filler cap I wouldn't worry too much, especially in this weather if it's doing mainly short trips.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2012, 11:14:58 »

I wouldn't flush, personally. If the oil is blackening straight away it might be worth a couple of oil changes at 1,000 mile intervals. 10w40 on a trade card is still a good plan. :y

As long as the coolant is remaining clean, the breathers are clear and the mayo is restricted to the filler cap I wouldn't worry too much, especially in this weather if it's doing mainly short trips.

Got 4 x 5ltrs of semi the other day from the dealer in Swindon at £9.99 +VAT for 5ltrs and the 4th was free. Kevin why would the coolent not stay clean, or are you talking about the oil cooler going :-\
« Last Edit: 21 February 2012, 11:18:19 by joff »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2012, 11:23:40 »

Got 4 x 5ltrs of semi the other day from the dealer in Swindon at £9.99 +VAT for 5ltrs and the 4th was free. Kevin why would the coolent not stay clean, or are you talking about the oil cooler going :-\

Yep, just thinking you will get a little water in the oil with an oil cooler failure, in addition to coolant contamination with oil, which will be the more obvious symptom.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2012, 12:38:12 »

Thank you for the advice Kevin
The coolant is nice and clean and now is not loosing any as it was the HBV that was leaking before and as far as I can see the mayo is only on the filler cap the oil on the dipstick looks clean and not emulisfied in any way
Another job to add to the list then yay  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2012, 13:11:54 »

Sounds OK to me. :y

noel

• Omega Knight
  • frome somerset
  • i feel the need for speed
    • 02 omega 2.6 v6 cdx auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2012, 20:31:40 »

Thank you for the advice Kevin
as far as I can see the mayo is only on the filler cap the oil on the dipstick looks clean and not emulisfied in any way
Another job to add to the list then yay  :y
i had the same problem on mine as i only do short journeys usually,so i removed the filler tube no more mayo for me  :y
oh well that's another day done

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2012, 20:33:59 »

Nothing to worry about LFF64 - some oils are more prone to mayoing than others.  GM semi seems pretty good in this regard, but will still do it a bit on short journeys in cold weather.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.