Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible flat battery???  (Read 2863 times)

russ b

• dudley west midlands
    • View Profile
Re: Possible flat battery???
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2010, 17:59:43 »

well i cant help you mate my clocks have died and stereo have not got a clue gone have to take it to garage soon!!!
tried and failed sorry. :'(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2010, 19:04:39 »

Do as mentioned above for Battery condition and drain, also worth checking your alternator output voltage, when running should be arround 13.5 to 14.2, if its less than this then pull the Neg off the battery while running and measure alternator volts again. As where having hot weather now, check that the fans dont kick in and mess up the readings.

Chris.

:o

I would never disconnect a battery with the engine running. This could land you in an awful lot more bother.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

shane1000

• derby
  • studied nothing for 35yrs so now an expert on it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2010, 19:50:16 »

sometimes one cell does leak into another so one day it could be fine, the next its not ... free check at an auto centre.. kwikfit etc.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2010, 23:12:26 »

Do as mentioned above for Battery condition and drain, also worth checking your alternator output voltage, when running should be arround 13.5 to 14.2, if its less than this then pull the Neg off the battery while running and measure alternator volts again. As where having hot weather now, check that the fans dont kick in and mess up the readings.

Chris.

I would never disconnect a battery with the engine running. This could land you in an awful lot more bother.

Kevin

Been doing this for years Kevin, whats the problem?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2010, 23:17:04 »

Chris.

Kevin

More recent electrickery doesn't like it. My Dad did similar recently with his Mk III Granada. As he pulled what was a fuse from a fuse/relay box, the engine died. But in doing so, it also seems to have fried something to do with the ABS ECU because he now has a permanantly lit ABS light on the dash.  :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2010, 23:38:17 »

Chris.

Kevin

Just my views .. nowt else ..

The battery acts as a "smoothing circuit" and "shock absorber" to the alternator. If the alternator is running and you disconnect the battery, then there is nothing in the circuit to "absorb" or "smooth" voltage spikes.

The voltage regulator will react to try and control voltages, but it is always reactive, so is a fraction behind what is actualy happening.

Thus it is possible for fairly large transitional voltages to occur. Many of the circuits in ECU's are very voltage sensitive, being solid state devices, such voltage spikes can damage them readily.

Older cars, like what I started on ( morris minor sidevalve, through to ford crossflows and upwards),, had very few electric circuits, no solid state devices and often a dynamo with a carbon pile voltage regulator !! They didn't care about transient voltage spike at all.

The same can't be said for todays "sophisticated" electronics.. which are IMHO .. far too fragile at times .. given the environment in which they operate.

I would, also, never disconnect a battery with the alternator running.

:)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2010, 00:04:50 »

Chris.

Kevin

Just my views .. nowt else ..

The battery acts as a "smoothing circuit" and "shock absorber" to the alternator. If the alternator is running and you disconnect the battery, then there is nothing in the circuit to "absorb" or "smooth" voltage spikes.

The voltage regulator will react to try and control voltages, but it is always reactive, so is a fraction behind what is actualy happening.

Thus it is possible for fairly large transitional voltages to occur. Many of the circuits in ECU's are very voltage sensitive, being solid state devices, such voltage spikes can damage them readily.

Older cars, like what I started on ( morris minor sidevalve, through to ford crossflows and upwards),, had very few electric circuits, no solid state devices and often a dynamo with a carbon pile voltage regulator !! They didn't care about transient voltage spike at all.

The same can't be said for todays "sophisticated" electronics.. which are IMHO .. far too fragile at times .. given the environment in which they operate.

I would, also, never disconnect a battery with the alternator running.

:)

Yep, nail on the head, basically. An alternator's output is regulated by altering the current in the field winding which alters the magnetic field strength in the alternator and thus the current induced in the stator windings which provide the output.

There will be a residual field with no field current which means under low load conditions the alternator output voltage is uncontrolled. In addition, a change to the field current doesn't result in an immediate change in output voltage (the field winding is inductive, so it is not possible  to change the current instantaneously anyway). The magnetic field takes time to decay (actually the same mechanism by which the winding is inductive) and while it does so, the alternator is delivering more current than the electrical system is demanding, so the voltage rises.

If there is a sudden reduction in load from the alternator (e.g. cooling fan stopping) this means the voltage will spike to a high level for a few milliseconds before, hopefully, stabilising again. The voltage regulator in the alternator might even become unstable and oscillate between very high and low output voltages,

Normally the battery will damp down this tendency by absorbing the extra current and preventing a dangerous rise in voltage but without it present any devices being powered by the alternator will instead absorb the spike. This includes engine, ABS, Autobox, Air bag ecu, any In car entertainment equipment, etc.

This equipment is protected, so it may not fail the first time you do this, but each time a spike hits their electronics the protection components are stressed and may fail so the risk is there, and it can be avoided by testing the battery and alternator condition with a multimeter while they are both still connected to the vehicle.

Kevin
« Last Edit: 22 July 2010, 00:09:13 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

russ b

• dudley west midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 July 2010, 00:11:08 »

wow...i feel dumb know :-?
but happy your here if i ever need it 8-)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 July 2010, 00:50:55 »

wow...i feel dumb know :-?

We can sit ..... . numb together  ..... in a corner!  :-[  :-[  :-[  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 July 2010, 01:05:26 »

Well. Im not going to to argue with you about the battery being a smoothing component, yes it has a resistive load and acts like a form of a capacitor against the alternator controlled voltage regulator, hence a voltage regulator of a alternator only works effectively whilst some form of current is being drawn from it, but whilst the engine is running then some form of current is being drawn, which should limit the alternators voltage output ratting. Guessing were are not going to agree on that one.

Maybe an idea, if you slightly disagree is to inform the AA and RAC on this one, as this is one of the checks they do to apprehend wether the alternator is doing its job as roadside testing for the alternator.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2010, 01:17:56 by zirk »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 July 2010, 09:38:22 »

Maybe an idea, if you slightly disagree is to inform the AA and RAC on this one, as this is one of the checks they do to apprehend wether the alternator is doing its job as roadside testing for the alternator.

Doesn't surprise me in the least but they aren't exactly the model of automotive diagnostic excellence. I'd rather get a multimeter out. The fact a car runs on the alternator alone only proves the alternator can power a fuel pump, a set of injectors and an ignition coil. These will work over a wide voltage range anyway. Measuring the output voltage under various conditions gives you a complete picture.

kevin

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 July 2010, 12:40:02 »

Doesn't surprise me in the least but they aren't exactly the model of automotive diagnostic excellence. I'd rather get a multimeter out. The fact a car runs on the alternator alone only proves the alternator can power a fuel pump, a set of injectors and an ignition coil. These will work over a wide voltage range anyway. Measuring the output voltage under various conditions gives you a complete picture.

kevin

Ahh, dont be that hard on them Kevin, they do carry cable ties and insulating tape on board these days you know.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.