Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help  (Read 478 times)

tourette

• View Profile
help
« on: 15 February 2010, 14:20:54 »

Hi all,
Story is this, went to France last thursday in my 3 week old 2000 elite estate 2.5td. Car running lovely sit on M20 for 2 hours due to snow, get into France only gotta do 45 mins to my house. get into village at traffic lights go to pull away and feels like no drive so start selecting manually, car then seems ok but have now got the dread in the head. Dont use car for a day then go for a run out 25 miles or so car ok at first but still a bit sluggish on pulling away. On return journey car won't change into top, temp gauge up over half so nurse it home but still have a lot of smoke from bonnet when i stop, smelled like oil not steam. Is this the start of a gearbox replacement? How much? :'(. Car still in France as did not wanna risk driving and had to be back for work.
 Any help or advice much appreciated :(

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2010, 14:25:59 »

I'd check atf level first and top up if required.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2010, 18:37:21 »

one of the autobox oil cooler pipes could be leaking onto the exhaust

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2010, 20:41:19 »

If the system is low on oil ... then gear changes either don't happen or are very slow. If you drive the car in this state .. the remaining oil can get very hot.. it is working hard and there is not enough of it.... There is a gearbox vent pipe that comes up around the back of the engine.

I'm wondering if you have overheated the ATF as there is not enough of it ..... and the fumes have just been vented ??? They will smell of hot oil.. and might smoke a bit as well.

Check the ATF level firstly. .... if low top it up to get you home .. then a couple of quick ATF fluid changes .. you only change about 1/2 each time ...

Might save the gearbox ......  but you might have already overcooked it .. :(

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.