Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How ood is a non-GM V6 timing belt kit?  (Read 802 times)

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
How ood is a non-GM V6 timing belt kit?
« on: 16 May 2007, 22:03:42 »

Hi guys,

Quick question...

Turns out that my 2.6 had a GoodYear timing belt kit installed for it's first 40k service (now on 65k).  My question is - my car sounds a little rattly on tickover.  It's not too bad and i don't think it's the exhaust gasket/studs, i think that it might be because i have a non GM timing belt kit installed.  What are these like compared to GM timing belt kits?  Would it be worth changing for a GM one?

I have a Goodyear sticker under the bonnet which states that the belt kit was changed at 44k in Nov 2005, would anyone trust this?
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: How ood is a non-GM V6 timing belt kit?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2007, 22:12:42 »

hummm well I rekon the belt on my 2.2 was non-gm it was maintained by idiots, since it was changed for a GM Kit by JamesV6CDX (ta James!) It has completely changed the tone of the engine, it now sounds sooooo much better and smoother. Then again it was very loose.

I now would personally recommend GM over pattern.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2007, 22:17:13 »

hummm well I rekon the belt on my 2.2 was non-gm it was maintained by idiots, since it was changed for a GM Kit by JamesV6CDX (ta James!) It has completely changed the tone of the engine, it now sounds sooooo much better and smoother. Then again it was very loose.

Ah, but Tunnie, yours had a problem.

What are the tensioners, as these are the important bit (all belts are strong enough to last the cycle if not contaminated/damaged)...
Grumpy old man

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2007, 22:19:13 »

That's what i would expect from my V6, smooth and quiet.  Simular to my 2.0 in some ways, alhtough without the power...

My car a the moment sounds a little tired, nothing that sounds too serious and it's fine above 1000rpm, just noisy at <1000rpm.   I also notice that the gear stick can wobble quite a bit at tickover too, don't know if this is related?  maybe the banks at not timed correctly?

Maybe we should put a sticky up 'ALWAYS USE GM PRODUCTS, QUIET, SMOOTH AND SAFE'

Thanks for your input!!  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 22:27:12 »

I personally use GM, but wouldn't worry too much with non GM, as long as the bearings were quality
Grumpy old man

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2007, 23:11:06 »

I would guess that the belt is GoodYear but am not too sure about anything else.  Do Goodyear sell the complete kits or do you have to buy the tensioners seperatly?

I think i can live with it for now as it's not old or over due.   As it stands the belt is 18 months old with 22k miles.  I'll probably change it before the end of summer just for piece of mind though!

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2007, 23:15:02 »

I changed the belt kit on my 4-pot a few weeks ago.  nice any easy job, not too intense and i quite enjoyed it to be honest!  Haynes in one hand and spanner in the other!! :D  Managed to loan DTM's locking tool for the job too.  I just wish the V6 was as easy...  :o
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 23:16:32 by Omega2000w »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2007, 23:33:09 »

I would guess that the belt is GoodYear but am not too sure about anything else.  Do Goodyear sell the complete kits or do you have to buy the tensioners seperatly?

I think i can live with it for now as it's not old or over due.   As it stands the belt is 18 months old with 22k miles.  I'll probably change it before the end of summer just for piece of mind though!

While having an original GM kit is reassuring, I don't not see a problem with a kit from reputable manufacturers such as SKF (yes they make cambelt kits), Gates, Conti, etc.

So I see where you are coming from... if Goodyear made the whole kit, then there is a better chance that they used good-quality tensioner and idlers (though they probably wouldn't make them themselves). On the other hand if some little-known company was putting cambelt kits together and were using the Goodyear belt, there is no way of knowing if they also invested in good tensioner and rollers...

If you can take-off the cambelt cover you will be able to take a closer look at the tensioner and see if there are any marking on it, such as SKF or possibly even GM....

Having said that, the golden rule regarding cambelt tensioner is 'if in doubt, there is no doubt' (it's a modern rephrase for 'better safe than sorry'...).

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 09:41:10 »

v6 cambelt isn't so hard, just takes a little more time thats all :y

If you haven't already, get the DVD ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.