Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opel, Vx Satnav Series HU's and Speed Camera Alerts  (Read 4540 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Opel, Vx Satnav Series HU's and Speed Camera Alerts
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2016, 13:22:28 »

But a cheaper stand alone unit will always be inferior to the built in one.  ;)

Most built in units are 12mths out of date, a decent standalone unit, will have up to date maps, at a fraction of the cost compered to buying a new disc for the in-built car types, unless they are now offering web based updates, which I doubt, because you will need to take it to the dealer for the highly trained technician to update it using the latest dealer software, for a one of cost of at least £100. :(

My tomo western Europe, cost £89.00  3 years ago and has lifetime updates.
Fathers Chrysler, needs the sat-nav updating, £139. From Chrysler.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 13:31:40 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2016, 18:19:03 »

My tomo western Europe, cost £89.00  3 years ago and has lifetime updates.
Fathers Chrysler, needs the sat-nav updating, £139. From Chrysler.
Only one performs much better than the other. Hence my last Tomtom unit is somewhere at the end of the Aston Expressway, posy bloody useless heap  of shite.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2016, 19:40:10 »

Yea, that could be a bit more challenging, Nokia Maps, now called Here Maps has, as far as I know, taken over Navtech Maps, so there could be some new issues that are backward compatible across various ranges.

website Here -  http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start
 £169.00 +£5.00 postage. Cheaper to buy a new standalone unit. :-X
Online Here Nav - https://maps.here.com
Surely no one in there right mind would £169 when you can get genuine UK Disks off eBay.de for around 25 notes  ;)

So brings the cost down to reality when compared to the Portables.  :y
« Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 19:42:31 by iZirk »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2016, 23:00:29 »

Sorry - I don't understand.

Why would anyone pay 'just' £25 for something which is crap?  Full Postcode Entry? Traffic Updates?  Realtime Redirection?

I get all that from a FREE app on my gayPhone.  The built in Nav on NCDC is shite.  It was on the day it was released, and it is today.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2016, 00:42:46 »

Why would anyone pay 'just' £25 for something which is crap?  Full Postcode Entry? Traffic Updates?  Realtime Redirection?

I get all that from a FREE app on my gayPhone.  The built in Nav on NCDC is shite.  It was on the day it was released, and it is today.

It lacks features I agree, and my "go to" for navigation is always TomTom on my phone.

The nav on the NCDC is, however, superior at keeping going with accuracy in situations where the GPS signal may be unreliable ;) It has a place and, as I said earlier, it is almost always used when in cities, especially in the centre of them when surrounded by high rise buildings
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2016, 18:57:39 »

Clearly ;D

NCDC works. Well. Very well. Despite 15+yrs old, it outperforms *any* portable unit hands down. End of.

Granted, it lacks the gimmicks of modern units (but is 15yrs old).

It is actually outperformed by the even earlier CARiN units, which will still work well for miles after unplugging the GPS aerial. Sadly the bloody thing is too slow with reasonably modern maps.  Your stupid portable unit will go apeshite the second it goes to below 4 or 5 satellites.  Hence my last portable unit is at the end of the Aston Expressway, and the previous one lost an argument with a heal. They are complete crap. And then there is the hardware/software reliability.

Most portable units are marginally outperformed by modern mobile phones, but if it wasn't for the fact these have other uses, they'd be smashed up as well.

BUT nothing comes close to a proper built in system. Not even close. Gimmicks like postcode can be useful, but ultimately pointless if the thing lets you down when you need it most.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2016, 19:23:19 »

I seem to recall one Lakes Meet when those who used NCDC's arrived at the front entrance and those using 'other' sat nav's appeared at a gate at the top of a hill!  :D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2016, 12:24:21 »

NCDC works. Well. Very well. Despite 15+yrs old, it outperforms *any* portable unit hands down. End of.

Granted, it lacks the gimmicks of modern units (but is 15yrs old).

It is actually outperformed by the even earlier CARiN units, which will still work well for miles after unplugging the GPS aerial. Sadly the bloody thing is too slow with reasonably modern maps.  Your stupid portable unit will go apeshite the second it goes to below 4 or 5 satellites.  Hence my last portable unit is at the end of the Aston Expressway, and the previous one lost an argument with a heal. They are complete crap. And then there is the hardware/software reliability.

Most portable units are marginally outperformed by modern mobile phones, but if it wasn't for the fact these have other uses, they'd be smashed up as well.

BUT nothing comes close to a proper built in system. Not even close. Gimmicks like postcode can be useful, but ultimately pointless if the thing lets you down when you need it most.

Perfect answer   :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.