Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Honda's new NSX  (Read 4010 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Honda's new NSX
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2015, 19:58:58 »

Wonder if its faster and handles better than the McLaren Honda F1? :-X
Hoof'land storeman.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2015, 22:18:43 »

The era the original NSX was born into the late 80s, clean, simple, often blocky styling was the thing, which was starting to be smoothed out, compare a Mk II to a MK III cavalier to see the massive difference. Uncluttered was just around the corner, stylistically the original sits sort of in between a F40 and a XJ220.

Nowadays, we have excessive style for style's sake. The car world is full of overly technical fussy-styled affairs like BMW i8, Lexus NX, even your run of the mill hatch is a Nissan Juke. Clean designs like XFs, and DB9s are few and far between.

I'd have liked to have seen something cleaner and more graceful like a Porsche 928 but then again it would have been accused of looking 'too similar' to the original. And for me a 'retro' affair like a Mini, or a deliberate harking back to a previous shape as with the Merc SLS would be wrong, given the ethos of the NSX is to push forward, and advance technology. The F Type follows the E Type legend well, without really having a single stylistic cue from its spiritual precursor, even though you think it does. It looks like a new Jag, but I suspect even the old boys who once nicked E type brochures from the dealer in the 60s wouldn't be against its looks. The NSX is designed to stretch the skinny jeans of the boys reading Autocar on their tablets, and be flashy/blingy enough to make comparatively dull the CL-Coupes and R8s at the golf club/Michelin restaurant car park these shall eventually reside.

There's a litte of the old NSX in its 'flavour', without actually trying to copy. It is its own animal, not trying to be otherwise.  :)

Saw one of the new Minis the other day for the first time and the front had definitely been hit at speed several times by a fugly tree. :o :o :o The Mini John Cooper Works Paceman I'm sure Dr Opti will find a snip with a starting price from a mere £29,575. In return you get a mighty 0-62mph time of 6.8 seconds. :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/john-cooper-works/john-cooper-works-all4-paceman.html

The thought springs to mind of fools well heeled bank of mummy and daddy and their money. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 November 2015, 09:13:23 »

Exactly, an example of style over substance. Or, to put it another way, the Mini is actually a fine little car, decent engines, handles great.... except for the fact that it's well, well overpriced, and been styled to appeal to the retro and the city boy/girl types, rather than, for instance no-nonsense functional looks like a VW Up! or Panda etc...

Make one a bit shorter, with no chrome, small wheels, only the trim and spec you need in a car, like a Mk 1 Aygo, and charge £8995 and I'd be sold. Where it stands it's made as an automotive bit of fashion jewellery/clothing/new LCD telly etc...

Styling plays a massive part in how we judge a car, and what market we think it's heading for. All the more sad when people use the phrase 'only a stylist' - as if judging to perfection (or misjudging) how a car's looks will fit into an ever-changing, fluctuating world, several years before it is launched. Like judging what the weather will be doing this time next year.

:)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2015, 10:01:07 »

Exactly, an example of style over substance. Or, to put it another way, the Mini is actually a fine little car, decent engines, handles great.... except for the fact that it's well, well overpriced, and been styled to appeal to the retro and the city boy/girl types, rather than, for instance no-nonsense functional looks like a VW Up! or Panda etc...

Make one a bit shorter, with no chrome, small wheels, only the trim and spec you need in a car, like a Mk 1 Aygo, and charge £8995 and I'd be sold. Where it stands it's made as an automotive bit of fashion jewellery/clothing/new LCD telly etc...

Styling plays a massive part in how we judge a car, and what market we think it's heading for. All the more sad when people use the phrase 'only a stylist' - as if judging to perfection (or misjudging) how a car's looks will fit into an ever-changing, fluctuating world, several years before it is launched. Like judging what the weather will be doing this time next year.

Indeed. Not to mention the plethora of Audis and BMWs that are styled to within an inch of their life, with fancy gay LED lights everywhere and a big aggressive grille at the front, designed to fill your rear view mirror while it's sitting inches from your rear bumper.

Under the bonnet? Oh, most likely a 1.9 TDI driving the front wheels.

What I used to like about the old NSX was that it was up there with the supercars of its' day without appealing to the poseur. It also wasn't as cripplingly expensive, as I recall. A mate of mine had one and has regretted selling it ever since, as he's never found anything comparable.

Sadly, that's all gone out of the window. Still, it's nice to see Honda finally making cars that aren't aimed firmly at the "p1ss soaked old nodder" segment of the market.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2015, 10:19:01 »

Indeed. Not to mention the plethora of Audis and BMWs that are styled to within an inch of their life, with fancy gay LED lights everywhere and a big aggressive grille at the front, designed to fill your rear view mirror while it's sitting inches from your rear bumper.

Under the bonnet? Oh, most likely a 1.9 TDI driving the front wheels.

The Lotus Carlton did that years ago  ;D

What I used to like about the old NSX was that it was up there with the supercars of its' day without appealing to the poseur. It also wasn't as cripplingly expensive, as I recall. A mate of mine had one and has regretted selling it ever since, as he's never found anything comparable.

I bet he does,prices are going up now.

The motoring press has said the NSX was the only usable supercar that you can use day to day until the R8 came out.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.