Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TD Intercooler fan  (Read 1565 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
TD Intercooler fan
« on: 02 March 2014, 18:38:26 »

I've just finished wiring a separate i/c fan switch and fused relay. I've used 17A cable, which is at least half as big again as the original fan feed cable, to supply the fan. Initially I fitted a 10A fuse, but it blew the 2nd time it was switched on. Hopefully the 15A will be about right. Unfortunately, I cannot read the label on the fan which should give the rated load.

A question: the original feed to this fan came from the AC compressor, presumably via the compressor from the cooling fans or ECU. Can anyone who can read the cct diagrams for the TD in Haynes advise if I can expect any issues now that this feed is disconnected? :-\ :-\ :-\

05omegav6

Re: TD Intercooler fan
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2014, 19:12:09 »

What colour is the wire you have diverted :-\

And which relay, if you know... also the colour of the wires to the relay base, assuming original :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2014, 21:45:58 »

The original wiring was to wire the I/C fan in parallel with the cooling fans. As long as cooling fans still work, you should have no issues from that side.

Run the I/C fan continuously for an hour, ideally squirting some fin oil into its bearings at the time. Then try again with a 10A fuse.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2014, 21:46:29 »

reason=I/c fans tend to get sticky due to lack of use
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2014, 23:02:17 »

What colour is the wire you have diverted :-\

And which relay, if you know... also the colour of the wires to the relay base, assuming original :-\

Not diverted, cut off and new wire from new switch relay connected to the fan. This is a completely new cct allowing switched operation of the i/c fan from the cabin. :y The original wires are/were Red/white stripe (live) Brown (I think as its v dirty) to earth. Both apparently connected via the AC compressor. :y :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2014, 23:04:17 »

The original wiring was to wire the I/C fan in parallel with the cooling fans. As long as cooling fans still work, you should have no issues from that side.

Run the I/C fan continuously for an hour, ideally squirting some fin oil into its bearings at the time. Then try again with a 10A fuse.

Already done, I had the fan off, lubricated, and run on the bench for at least 40 minutes. Runs smooth and quiet back in position now, but still blew the 10A :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2014, 10:02:05 »

They still work with the plug shorted. Thinking about this wiring issue, with the OE wiring, as the fan often seizes, the fans will still run with it seized, so current flow via the compressor and i/c fan is not rqd for cooling fan operation. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2014, 10:05:49 »

From what I can make of the wiring diagrams, the intercooler fan is switched from via the auxiliary cooling fan relay, nowt to do with the aircon switching :-\

Doesn't help that ALL the fans are powered by RedWhite wires, with Brown running to ground...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2014, 12:47:03 »

From what I can make of the wiring diagrams, the intercooler fan is switched from via the auxiliary cooling fan relay, nowt to do with the aircon switching :-\

Doesn't help that ALL the fans are powered by RedWhite wires, with Brown running to ground...

Thanks very much for looking Al. I'm inclined to agree. I think the fact that the OE cct 'appeared' to be wired via the AC compressor, was just a convenience of the wiring loom construction, related to the fact that the cooling fans run with the AC on (auto climate control). :y :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2014, 13:24:28 »

It gets a bit confusing as the Cooling/heating/aircon has five fans,including the heater blower, on the Td...

I suspect that aircon on runs the I/C fan in addition to the front fans lo/hi speed, but the I/C fan is switched independently via its own relay as well ::)

What you have done,as intended, is replace the ecu control with a manual switch. Hopefully it will make a difference :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2014, 13:46:09 »

It gets a bit confusing as the Cooling/heating/aircon has five fans,including the heater blower, on the Td...

I suspect that aircon on runs the I/C fan in addition to the front fans lo/hi speed, but the I/C fan is switched independently via its own relay as well ::)

What you have done,as intended, is replace the ecu control with a manual switch. Hopefully it will make a difference :y

According to the expert on these, Omegatoy, it actually only comes on when the cooling fans go to high speed. As this requires quite a high engine temp, the i/c fan rarely comes on, hence many seize due to lack of use. This mod should avoid that in future.
Thanks again for your input. :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.