Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Heatings experts?  (Read 1466 times)

Taxi_Driver

Central Heatings experts?
« on: 07 January 2014, 11:55:59 »

Heres an interesting problem....

All turned off, 3 way valve indicator sits in the HW position.

Turn on HW only, 3 way valve indicator moves to midway point.

Turn on CH as well (so HW and CH on) the indicator stays midpoint but you can hear a microswitch clicking on and off and the indicator on the 3 way valve twitches slightly.

CH only on and the indicator moves to the CH position.

So....the valve isnt jammed....the motor in the valve works...and at least one microswitch seems to be working..

Controller or the 3 way valve at fault.....or something else....Ta

martin42

Re: Central Heatings experts?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2014, 12:08:13 »

Sounds like valve has gone,change the complete unit.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2014, 15:41:13 »

It's probably worth a look inn the valve in case it's a failed microswitch or something. On older valves where you can't just swap the motor head this is a lot less hassle than changing the whole valve assembly.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2014, 18:35:37 »

It's probably worth a look inn the valve in case it's a failed microswitch or something. On older valves where you can't just swap the motor head this is a lot less hassle than changing the whole valve assembly.

Its an ACL lifestyle 3 way valve.

I went to Plumbing type shop today and bought a new controller with the promise of the guy in the shop i could return it if it didnt fix the problem....it didnt   :(

Interestingly i discovered that pin2 on the controller (CH off) isnt connected to anything.....but having a rummage around i found the wiring diagram i followed 2 years ago when i re-wired it....it isnt connected on that diagram either....so i guess its correct  :-\ seeing as its been working for 2 years.

According to the blokey in the plumbing shop.....the 3 way valve will come apart.....ie take the electrical bit off the mechanical valve.....he said i quote "All the new valves have a quick release button....the older ones are held together with one or two screws and can be replaced" .....hmmm

I did take the cover off the 3 way valve.....there was a lot of 'debris' ie dust/grit/crap inside it....i assume the micoswitches are sealed....so unlikely to be affected by this  :-\
Its hard to see inside....theres what looks like an alloy shield at the front (heat shield?? ) and i carnt get my head directly overhead....its fitted to close to a shelf overhead.....i could take the shelf out i guess....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2014, 21:22:37 »

It is ACL valves I've got, and the microswitches failed on both. They were a pair of 2 port valves rather than a 3 port, but worth a try. On mine, you couldn't change the motor par separately.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2014, 07:24:58 »

This looks like it (the one on the left)

http://www.seered.co.uk/drayton.htm

Looks  like you can get them apart......but in my case i think it would be easier to change the complete valve  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2014, 08:24:33 »

Classic mircroswitch issue, the wanky design of valves always makes me cringe, very much cost over anything else (syncronous motors held on stall with a bit of series resistance so they dont burn out to quickly).

You would not expect the CH or WH off outputs to be connected on many setups, the systems are basic, the programmer calls for heating demand, the stat which is in series will relay the demand if heat is required, this demand passes to the valve which moves to the appropriate position, closing a switch which fires the boiler.

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2014, 08:49:19 »

It is ACL valves I've got, and the microswitches failed on both. They were a pair of 2 port valves rather than a 3 port, but worth a try. On mine, you couldn't change the motor par separately.

This is exactly what happened to me before xmas. The older Lifestyle valves cant have the switches replaced - whereas their replacements can. I had trouble sourcing some locally the week before xmas, but Wickes on-line offered next day delivery and at a price not too different from the best that I could have got them from elsewhere .........

I dont know the 3 way valve, but if they are from the same range as mine were then you will be looking at the ZA5 / ZA6 products as replacements.

HTH - Rob

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2014, 12:59:18 »

Handily, they are the same microswitch (or near enough) that the Omega central locking motors use, so I had plenty of spares. A few minutes with a soldering iron and half an hour of fumbling with little screws in the airing cupboard, trying not to drop them behind the tank, and I was back in business.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2014, 18:39:57 »

All sorted  :y

Took afternoon off and after 2 visits to the plumbing shop.

First visit got sold a Salus 3 way valve for £72, he claimed it was the cheapest one he had.....but when i tried to fit it.....i found the screw threads were different to the fixings all ready on the pipework (would be impossible to remove the olives already on the pipes....to close to 90 degree bends to get the brass couplings out of the way)

Took it back with the old valve (just the valve, id removed the head off it) and asked if he had a replacement head for it....fair play to him.....he knew his valves....he said that looks like a drayton valve....i said its acl.....samething he told me.....so he tapped away on his computer....computer says i got one replacement head....could he find it  ::) errr no.... :(

So he produced a complete new Drayton 3 way valve....i said i'll take it if the couplings fit the old valve....so he tried them and they did

What the extra i asked......so he tapped away again ..... and said errr......i owe you £2  ;D

How can a Drayton valve be cheaper than a Salus valve.....i dunno  :-\

Anyways all fitted , even no leaks  :o even with my plumbing skills  ;D

And it does what its suppose to  :y

For those interested in the fault with the old valve.....it was a microswitch....one of them clicked as you pressed it....the other was already pressed in.....so probably a broken spring or the such

Thanks for all the replies and just goes to show that being a member of this forum, even if you dont have an omega anymore is worth its weight in gold for the knowledge on here  :y :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2014, 18:46:59 »

Nice to hear HD is back to the levels of warmth and comfort she expects. Well done Dave :y
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2014, 18:53:53 »

Nice to hear HD is back to the levels of warmth and comfort she expects. Well done Dave :y

The CH worked ok, so HD wasnt cold.....it just had a problem that when the hot water only was on, the rads got hot too.....so costing me loads more in gas.....not that HD would care about that  ;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2014, 20:36:02 »

The CH worked ok, so HD wasnt cold.....it just had a problem that when the hot water only was on, the rads got hot too.....so costing me loads more in gas.....not that HD would care about that  ;D
Only if it stopped you buying sausages obviously. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.