Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2CD Omega 2003 - 2 problems.  (Read 1736 times)

Balthazar

• Pitstone - Buckinghamshire
    • View Profile
2.2CD Omega 2003 - 2 problems.
« on: 22 March 2011, 10:37:27 »

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2003 2.2CD Omega, High mileage (139,000), but only 1 previous owner and a good service history.

Overall I am pleased with the car, but it has 2 issues which are causing some concern, and for which I would appreciate some help to see if I can resolve. (Note: My history as a mechanic is short and unimpressive)

Problem 1.
When the car starts from cold, it sounds like a black cab when idling. As soon as it is warmed up it is fine and drives really well.

Problem 2.
Water - it is using a lot of water, I have looked for a leak and can't find one, I have seen steam coming from the filler tank when in traffic, so I guess that is where it is going, but the car doesn't overheat and stays around 90/92 degrees. there is no other visible sign of water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 10:38:28 by Balthazar »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2CD Omega 2003 - 2 problems.
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2011, 10:42:28 »

1) A few quick oil changes should ease the lifters tapping.
2) Check the HBV (heater bypass valve) rear of engine driver`s side halfway down block, black "starship" shape with 3 hoses attached, common failure on Migs
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2011, 12:48:59 »

Fell the hardness/unsqueezability of the radiator hoses when the car's at full running temperature.  I know that's a subjective measure but it may give a clue if the answer is "very, very hard, feels like they're about to pop".

As siad above though, water leaks on Omegas, check HBV as it's the overwhelming favourite.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2011, 19:54:07 »

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2003 2.2CD Omega, High mileage (139,000), but only 1 previous owner and a good service history.

Overall I am pleased with the car, but it has 2 issues which are causing some concern, and for which I would appreciate some help to see if I can resolve. (Note: My history as a mechanic is short and unimpressive)

Problem 1.
When the car starts from cold, it sounds like a black cab when idling. As soon as it is warmed up it is fine and drives really well.

Problem 2.
Water - it is using a lot of water, I have looked for a leak and can't find one, I have seen steam coming from the filler tank when in traffic, so I guess that is where it is going, but the car doesn't overheat and stays around 90/92 degrees. there is no other visible sign of water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Bet problem 1 is a cracked exhaust manifold. Remove the heat sheild on the manifold and investigate there first.
It's a common problem, mine was cracked ('03' plate) on the top. Crack closes up when warm :y

Mick

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2011, 20:00:52 »

Check when the oil was last changed, if it's been a while (more than about 8000 miles) then as suggested, a few short changes (1000-2000 miles) would probably cure problem 1
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Balthazar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2011, 13:18:10 »

OK,

Problem 1 - This seems to be intermittent, I am going to try the oil changes and see what happens. The oil looks pretty clear so I am guessing it was changed recently.

Problem 2 - Is now my bigger issue as it is using approx 1 litre of water every 60 miles (round trip to work). However if it is the heater bypass valve, I need a bit more help, as I really cant find it! (and I know what it looks like) :(
Is this something I can replace myself ?

As always any help would be appreciated.

paul

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2011, 13:35:28 »

OK,

Problem 1 - This seems to be intermittent, I am going to try the oil changes and see what happens. The oil looks pretty clear so I am guessing it was changed recently.

Problem 2 - Is now my bigger issue as it is using approx 1 litre of water every 60 miles (round trip to work). However if it is the heater bypass valve, I need a bit more help, as I really cant find it! (and I know what it looks like) :(
Is this something I can replace myself ?
As always any help would be appreciated.

paul
Yep. Here`s the guide for the V6 (basically same for the 4-pot).
To right of brake servo there`s two hoses exiting the bulkhead, follow these down and you will see them connected to the HBV
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193594464
« Last Edit: 24 March 2011, 13:35:58 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Balthazar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2011, 18:20:22 »

Hi,

I am in the middle of changing my HBV.

1. Windscreen Wipers removed
2. Scuttle removed
3. Is where the problems start !

How can anyone get there hands on the HBV and still undo the hose clips ?

Am I missing something ?? My hands aren't that big, but there is just no space at all.

Is it easier to do this from under the car ?

Please let me know

Regards,

Paul

Balthazar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2011, 19:16:20 »

Ok,

Please can someone let me know how much it should cost to replace an HBV valve on my 2.2CD Omega ?

I have the new HBV valve I just need someone to fit it.

Anyone know a good garage in the Tring (Herts) area ? as I'm not sure how far I can drive it, the water leak is now pretty big.

I really had forgotten how frustrating it is working on a car when things don't go as planned.

My wifes not speaking to me, my kids are hiding, and I have said words that I thought I would never have to say again !

And all in the first 3 weeks of owning an Omega  :), it must get easier than this !

Paul

« Last Edit: 29 March 2011, 19:17:21 by Balthazar »

Jezzer

• Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2011, 19:37:05 »

I can certainly help with a great local garage  :y
The Car Works in Berko, speak to John O'Sullivan - he's ex Vauxhall Racing VXr.
http://www.the-car-works.com/

Has all the Vauxhall testing equipment.
They are very helpful and do know there stuff!! not cheap but very reasonable, can't recommend them highly enough.
He's done a grand job in looking after my Omega 2.0 16v CDX Auto. W Reg - I was going to chop it in but have been able to continue running it so saving a fortune.
;D

Jezzer

• Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2011, 19:44:24 »

Good top know I have a MIG user in or near Tring  8-)
Yoru 2.2 CD is a Good machine.
I ahd lots of irritating issues when I got mine, but since they have been fixed it goes like a dream  :y
I have replaced: Auto Selector switch £120, recharged Air Con, Air Mass Sensor £200, Recon Alternator, Fixed the Audio (dodgy wiring) Fixed Cruise Control and Computer, replaced Ambient Temp Sensor - among just a few issues  :o
John at Car Works has helped no end!

But now it is a joy to drive  :y 31mpg, cruises above the Mway limit for hours and very comfortable, nippy enough even for the 2.0 16v version.

Be good to keep in touch :y

sport

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2011, 23:55:34 »

Ok,

Please can someone let me know how much it should cost to replace an HBV valve on my 2.2CD Omega ?

I have the new HBV valve I just need someone to fit it.

Anyone know a good garage in the Tring (Herts) area ? as I'm not sure how far I can drive it, the water leak is now pretty big.

I really had forgotten how frustrating it is working on a car when things don't go as planned.

My wifes not speaking to me, my kids are hiding, and I have said words that I thought I would never have to say again !

And all in the first 3 weeks of owning an Omega  :), it must get easier than this !

Paul

My cost me £20 + parts to be fitted mine only leaked lf the climet control was on but did not leak when off. When car running and warmed up checke under car just behind the front wheels to se for leakes, you replace from under the car.Bit fidly and in mid winter so let garage do it.
Wait till you se the price of a clutch, rear wheel bearings, and not to say tyres.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2011, 00:04:27 by sport »

sport

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2011, 00:06:14 »

My cost me £20 + parts to be fitted mine only leaked lf the climet control was on but did not leak when off. When car running and warmed up checke under car just behind the front wheels to se for leakes, you replace from under the car.Bit fidly and in mid winter so let garage do it.
Wait till you se the price of a clutch, rear wheel bearings, and not to say tyres

klickster

• central scotland
    • omega 2.2 + vectra 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2012, 01:14:52 »

just poppin in some info for folks that end up here.

I had  HBV  failure  out of the blue, and  it was gushing out water.

I was able to  short circuit the  coolant   by removing the  whole HBV  and stopping  the coolant
going through the  heater....which stopped the leak  until i got a new valve.
 I seem to remember using a 3" long copper pipe to join  2-pipes together, and a "spark plug"
to blank off the 3rd pipe....All very temporary until  the new HBV  arrived from Flea Bay.

I remember it wasnt easy working in the confined space, but   a pair of plumbers grips (long handled adjustable pliers)
makes releasing the (most )  hose clamps really easy
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.