Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Done cambelt. My findings.  (Read 1945 times)

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
Done cambelt. My findings.
« on: 13 March 2012, 17:18:02 »

So I finished doing the belt today. Having watched the forum DVD (which is excellent) it's not to bad a job. So my findings when doing the job.
1. I didn't fully remove the plenum chamber. I unbolted it and then suspended it from the bonnet using a ratchet strap.
2. The water pipe which runs across in front of the block doesn't need to be removed however if does make things a lot easier.
3. You have to use the markings on the belt. I've never used them in the past on other cars however with this v6 it's a must.
4. While talking about the markings. I used a Gates belt kit. There are markings in white and yellow however don't think you use just one colour you use a mix of both and ignore some.
5. I was amazed how much you could adjust each bank by adjusting the rollers (not the tensioner)
6. Being patient and lots of tea drinking is a must "smoke if ya got em"

Findings of my old belt. My old belt had covered 29k miles but was 6 years old. The actual belt was in excellent condition. You could still just make out the markings on it and they told me it was a GM supplied belt. The tensioner and guides where by SKF which were also supplied with the new Gates belt. The tensioner and guide assembly was in excellent condition. There was no play in the bearings and they ran smoothly and quietly. The guide which is on it's own was worse for ware. The bearing felt very loose and was notchy when spun. It was also very noisy.

So I'd say I've had a lucky escape. How long the guide would of lasted I've know idea however it just proves that mileage alone is not a good indicator on belt condition. Mine could of covered another 11k miles before it was due however I feel the lower guide would of lunched its self long before then.

If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Done cambelt. My findings.
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 17:20:15 »

3. You have to use the markings on the belt. I've never used them in the past on other cars however with this v6 it's a must.

Disagree. As long as it's set up correctly using the kit, the marks mean nothing. (they'll never line up again once engine has been rotated).

They're just there to help you place it correctly the first time, not a necessity :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 17:21:54 »

That said - the marks are obviously a great help to someone who hasn't done the job a few times, and absolutely bloody brilliant for tackling it yourself  :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2012, 17:42:14 »

Disagree. As long as it's set up correctly using the kit, the marks mean nothing. (they'll never line up again once engine has been rotated).
They're just there to help you place it correctly the first time, not a necessity :y

They will be it takes quite a few rotations  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2012, 20:15:29 »

Never seen a cam belt with marks on personally.

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2012, 20:19:51 »

So I finished doing the belt today. Having watched the forum DVD (which is excellent) it's not to bad a job. So my findings when doing the job.
1. I didn't fully remove the plenum chamber. I unbolted it and then suspended it from the bonnet using a ratchet strap.
2. The water pipe which runs across in front of the block doesn't need to be removed however if does make things a lot easier.
4. While talking about the markings. I used a Gates belt kit. There are markings in white and yellow however don't think you use just one colour you use a mix of both and ignore some.
5. I was amazed how much you could adjust each bank by adjusting the rollers (not the tensioner)

Findings of my old belt. My old belt had covered 29k miles but was 6 years old. The actual belt was in excellent condition. You could still just make out the markings on it and they told me it was a GM supplied belt. The tensioner and guides where by SKF which were also supplied with the new Gates belt. The tensioner and guide assembly was in excellent condition. There was no play in the bearings and they ran smoothly and quietly. The guide which is on it's own was worse for ware. The bearing felt very loose and was notchy when spun. It was also very noisy.

So I'd say I've had a lucky escape. How long the guide would of lasted I've know idea however it just proves that mileage alone is not a good indicator on belt condition. Mine could of covered another 11k miles before it was due however I feel the lower guide would of lunched its self long before then.

Any chance I could borrow it  ;D :D ;D
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2012, 20:25:46 »

Any chance I could borrow it  ;D :D ;D

Buy your own copy from he OOF shop mate - only £3 - don't be tight  :o ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2012, 20:33:07 »

Or you can have my second copy for free. I ordered a copy then when I opened my cambelt locking kit I found a copy. I forgot I brought my kit from a ABS member second hand. He must of thrown the disc in.

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2012, 20:35:12 »

Or you can have my second copy for free. I ordered a copy then when I opened my cambelt locking kit I found a copy. I forgot I brought my kit from a ABS member second hand. He must of thrown the disc in.

Lol :D  ;D  :y
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2012, 20:40:24 »

You got the tools to do the job?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2012, 20:51:50 »

They will be it takes quite a few rotations  :y

You knew exactly what I meant, Mr DTM!! ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2012, 21:02:43 »

Of course, all those £3 for the DVDs help to pay for the running costs of this site, so naturally, we'd like to see people buy them from the OOF shop, rather than any lending... ;)

:y
Grumpy old man

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2012, 21:43:54 »

Yeah OK..... just bought one!   :P

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2012, 21:57:32 »

Of course, all those £3 for the DVDs help to pay for the running costs of this site, so naturally, we'd like to see people buy them from the OOF shop, rather than any lending... ;)

:y

Sorry admin I will be buying one just got to wait till end of month
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.