Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving  (Read 9101 times)

Martian

Re: Driving
« Reply #45 on: 07 March 2012, 18:52:28 »

Until someone rear ends you, which in turn results in you being shunted in to the car in front of you.

Agreed. I was that car a year ago. >:(

That'll teach me to stop for an oncoming bus.
Spoke to my brother last night and he told me he'd smashed his Jag (3.0 XF Twin turbo on a 10 plate).
He's going along the Purley Way in Croydon and just as he gets over the brow of a very slight hill he sees a broken down vehicle in his path. He had no problem stopping, but the f**kwit van driver behind him didn't manage to stop until he piled in to the back of my brother.

The best bit however was when the van driver got and hinted to my brother that it was a 50/50 because my brother failed to make his intentions clear when stopping  :o :o
My brother made it clear in no uncertain terms it was entirely the fault of white van man, and also showed him the Roadhawk system he has fitted in his car just in case white van man was thinking of telling porkies when he fills his claim form in  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07 March 2012, 19:25:19 »

Until someone rear ends you, which in turn results in you being shunted in to the car in front of you.
I left a good distance, but still clipped the car in front.

In fact, had I have been a idiot, and been closer, I would have been safer IMHO, as I wouldn't have got pushed into outside lane for Mr Audi A5 to t-bone me ;)
Grumpy old man

OOMV6

« Reply #47 on: 07 March 2012, 19:41:54 »

Think peeps are talking at cross purposes. Whilst some are talking about safe driving distances, which I think we'd all agree many drivers don't leave enough of a gap, others are talking about pulling up in a queue of very slow moving traffic.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 07 March 2012, 19:56:20 »

When I did both my HGV and PSV driver training it was pointed out to me, several times, that if I got too close to the vehicle in front when stationary .. ie traffic lights or other junctions, such that the examiner thought I would have to reverse to go around the vehicle if it failed to move, then that would be a fail on the test.

It was surprising how far back one had to stop due to the poor turning circles of the trucks/coaches, but I eventually got the hang of it.

dan-eboy

• West Sussex
    • Omega 2.5 V6, tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 March 2012, 20:57:25 »

Think peeps are talking at cross purposes. Whilst some are talking about safe driving distances, which I think we'd all agree many drivers don't leave enough of a gap, others are talking about pulling up in a queue of very slow moving traffic.

Yeah i always leave at least a 2 second gap when moving but i think if everyone left tyres and tarmac (when stationary) you'd only get about half the amunt of cars in a given space.  I think it's worth a trial to see just how much difference it makes, i think round town it would cause seroius jams.  There are many things were taught to do on driving test, that just wouldn't work for real - like waiting for all cars coming round a roundabout before pulling out (reason for my 1st fail!)

Another thing that i find annoying is people for example on a mini-roundabout with a straight over and a left turn and they indicate right to go straight over- Why?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 07 March 2012, 21:17:31 »

My pet hates:

1) Tailgaiting. It's just TOTALLY un-necessary and achieves nothing positive. I am with Jonnycool as to the reason this happens. Selfish, impatient, thoughtless people who are thinking about nobody other than me, me, me, I don't care about the speed limit, I want to break it and you're in my way, so I'm going to sit on your @ss......

2) Lane discipline on dual carriageways and motorways. If you are not overtaking something, not gaining on something quickly with a view to overtaking it, then MOVE OVER! Equally, when you're driving at 70 in lane one, then a numpty pulls up alongside you and matches your speed / fractionally overtakes you, but takes forever. This means you are now gaining on a lorry, you want to pull out to lane 2 to pass it - and you can't, because this numpty is now sat there, doing 1mph more than you... you can't really easy off, because another numpty is up your chuff, and chances are he's going to try and pull out to lane 2 first...

3) Texting and driving. I overtook a car on the M5 up by Brum a few weeks ago. I was in lane 3, overtaking. The young lady driving the car in lane 2 was totally engrossed in tapping a text message into her iphone, ocasionally glancing at the road ahead. Asking to maim/kill someone, and as Jonny rightly says - it's because of the "me me me" attitude, I haven't even taken time to think of the consequences of killing someone by texting and driving, cos all I care about is sending my text message so I'm a popular blah.....

4) Excess use of speed combined with bullying - mainly on motorways. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually not against speed on it's own, and wouldn't give a hoot about someone driving over the NSL within reason... apart from when there are aggrivating factors...  for example, Mr Bloggs is doing an indicated speed of 80 in lane 3, nicely passing the van in lane 2, before he's ready to move over... when Mr Small Man Syndrome in his 5 series comes caning it up behind him at 130mph, looking like he's going to literally push him out of the way, and sitting right on his @ss, often with main beam flashing....

They are my main ones! :y

dan-eboy

• West Sussex
    • Omega 2.5 V6, tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 March 2012, 21:29:05 »

My pet hates:

1) Tailgaiting. It's just TOTALLY un-necessary and achieves nothing positive. I am with Jonnycool as to the reason this happens. Selfish, impatient, thoughtless people who are thinking about nobody other than me, me, me, I don't care about the speed limit, I want to break it and you're in my way, so I'm going to sit on your @ss......

2) Lane discipline on dual carriageways and motorways. If you are not overtaking something, not gaining on something quickly with a view to overtaking it, then MOVE OVER! Equally, when you're driving at 70 in lane one, then a numpty pulls up alongside you and matches your speed / fractionally overtakes you, but takes forever. This means you are now gaining on a lorry, you want to pull out to lane 2 to pass it - and you can't, because this numpty is now sat there, doing 1mph more than you... you can't really easy off, because another numpty is up your chuff, and chances are he's going to try and pull out to lane 2 first...

3) Texting and driving. I overtook a car on the M5 up by Brum a few weeks ago. I was in lane 3, overtaking. The young lady driving the car in lane 2 was totally engrossed in tapping a text message into her iphone, ocasionally glancing at the road ahead. Asking to maim/kill someone, and as Jonny rightly says - it's because of the "me me me" attitude, I haven't even taken time to think of the consequences of killing someone by texting and driving, cos all I care about is sending my text message so I'm a popular blah.....

4) Excess use of speed combined with bullying - mainly on motorways. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually not against speed on it's own, and wouldn't give a hoot about someone driving over the NSL within reason... apart from when there are aggrivating factors...  for example, Mr Bloggs is doing an indicated speed of 80 in lane 3, nicely passing the van in lane 2, before he's ready to move over... when Mr Small Man Syndrome in his 5 series comes caning it up behind him at 130mph, looking like he's going to literally push him out of the way, and sitting right on his @ss, often with main beam flashing....

2nd That!

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 March 2012, 21:30:18 »

My pet hates:

third that

2nd That!
third that

OOMV6

« Reply #53 on: 07 March 2012, 21:58:22 »

My pet hates:

third that

2nd That!
third that

Me too. Number 4 especially.

In many ways, only having 2 lanes of motorway here often leads to better lane discipline, than when there are more. Unfortunately there are areas with 3.

Another one for me - motorway entrance;
a lot of M-way entrance slips here are a sharp bend, so you are doing only about 60 kmh once parellel with the main carriageway. There is then a long slip there for the obvious reason to use to pick up enough speed to blend into the traffic. There is then a bright spark* who decides to cut into the inside lane (sometimes across a very thick solid white line) BEFORE picking up the appropriate speed and ends up having 40 tonnes screaming down his back, or worst still, forcing the 40T into the outside lane.

bright spark* number 1 is the frightened driver. Must get onto motorway quickly before I get trapped in slip road. ???
 bright spark* number 2 is the Audi RS6/8 or similarly powerful car driver. Lets boot it from 60 kmh in the slip road and straight out into the outside lane of 2 lanes. "I can out-accelarate them" he thinks. Wrong. A car coming done the ouside doing 140 - 160 kmh covers a lot of metres in just a few seconds.

Basically it all boils down to the very same thing as mentioned before. Me, me, me. ABSOLUTELY no thought for other road users. It really is worrying  >:(

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07 March 2012, 22:06:48 »

i agree with you there i have driven in germany and its a lot faster there so when over takeing lorrys i get flashed from behind because i am not going fast enough overtaking them the last time it was raining  :y :y :y :y

OOMV6

« Reply #55 on: 07 March 2012, 22:33:50 »

i agree with you there i have driven in germany and its a lot faster there so when over takeing lorrys i get flashed from behind because i am not going fast enough overtaking them the last time it was raining  :y :y :y :y

Can be a bit 'airy for sure. Around here, in the border region with other countries, primilarly Luxembourg, the problems with the motorway entrance slips is worse. Well, I guess when you mix drivers from every European country + others from non-European countries, you're asking for trouble.  ;)

Although the autobahns can be faaaaast, as you say, I generally find that the driving on them is quite good - in comparision. That said, only one third of all autobahns are still unrestricted.  :'(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.