Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric cooling pump  (Read 826 times)

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
Electric cooling pump
« on: 14 October 2011, 15:54:21 »

Hi all, have been doing some searching for the above, but not managed to find what I was after  :(

I think I have located a pump this one arrowed here:

After a long run yesterday, when I got back I heard a light clicking coming from the engine bay, if I stuck my ear against the air filter I could hear and feel the noise coming through that.  The pump shown above is attached so that would explain the noise appearing to come from the air filter!  However after searching people have said that the pump for making the heating work with the engine off should be here, the one for circulating the coolant to avoid after boiling should be on the near side near the radiator, is that correct?  If so I cannot find another one, anyone got any photos of where theirs is?

Also, I checked by putting the ignition on about 5mins after stopping and the coolant temp had gone way up to 100C.  The fans had not come on or anything, but I could still hear the noise.

Note, I tried the heating with the engine off and it seems to work fine, no extra noises when switched on either.

So to summarise (as I am now confused what I want!):
What is the thing arrowed above for?
Where is the pump for circulating the coolant (if not arrowed above)?
Should the engine temp be allowed to get up that high after switch off?
Should the cooling fans be kicking in to cool the car?
Any way of checking the system is operating okay?

Cheers in advance, hope it makes sense and sorry for the hundreds of questions and rambling thread!

Phil  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Electric cooling pump
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2011, 16:05:41 »

I believe that was part of the "Winter Pack" it heats up coolant quicker when its cold  :y

Cooling fans should kick in at around 96/97.

The temperature gauge should tell you if things are running normally, it should sit half way only rising in heavy traffic, fans should come on, then go back to normal

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2011, 16:48:52 »

The item you point to doesn't look like a coolant pump, however. :-\

Looks more like the canister purge valve. Maybe this has been relocated down there during an LPG conversion? (that's an LPG filter I can see, yes?)

That would explain the ticking, although I wasn't aware the valve is pulsed after the engine is stopped. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2011, 19:37:47 »

I believe that was part of the "Winter Pack" it heats up coolant quicker when its cold  :y

Cooling fans should kick in at around 96/97.

The temperature gauge should tell you if things are running normally, it should sit half way only rising in heavy traffic, fans should come on, then go back to normal

How does it heat the coolant up quicker?! I thought it was part of the Winter pack but there to allow the coolant to circulate when the engine is off so the heater in the cabin would still kick out hot air for a bit?

Well, now you start another topic with the temp gauge, it reads fine, but when I am on a long run it reads just below 85C, then when I am in slow moving traffic it gets up to 90C, never goes over, and can hear the fans coming in (this is all with the air con off, if it is on, the temp gauge sits just below 85C and does not move no matter what driving I am doing).  Surely it should be sitting in the middle at 90C as you say, not going up and down with over 5C movement?

FYI I have just changed the thermostat, so that should not be an issue.

The item you point to doesn't look like a coolant pump, however. :-\

Looks more like the canister purge valve. Maybe this has been relocated down there during an LPG conversion? (that's an LPG filter I can see, yes?)

That would explain the ticking, although I wasn't aware the valve is pulsed after the engine is stopped. :-\

Yes LPG fitted, I personally reckon that might be the cause of the fluctuating temp gauge!  I will be doing another thread about that!  ;)

Canister purge valve, what does that do?!  Sorry!  ???  If it helps the one of the pipes attached to it goes to the most forward, off side port on the throttle body (beneath the coolant pipe), the other pipe goes off a short distance and changes from a soft rubber squeezable pipe, into a hard plastic pipe, which then goes through to the wheel side of the wheel arch and disappears towards the back of the car through the body!  That doesn't sound like the electric motor!  And why is it ticking!  Doesn't look like it has been relocated there, it has a purpose made bracket on the air filter, and the pipes have been there for a long time.

Now...where are the electric motors then! :)

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2011, 18:36:03 »

Hi, sorry to ask again, but if anyone is working on their car tomorrow and has the opportunity to help me identify the electric coolant circulation pumps by posting a picture I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2011, 18:53:38 »

Pic of one on N/S of rad. If you have a "winter pack" pump fitted it`ll be exactly the same. Note that rad pump is supported in rubber sleeve.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2011, 18:56:12 »

Hi Phil,

Exactly what model car do you have? Does the car have cruise control?

The reason I ask is that one of the pumps sits in the same place as the cruise actuator and when you have a 2.5/3.0 V6 with cruise they simply dont fit the 2nd pump.

In anticipation.

Rob

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2011, 19:03:41 »

Hi,

I have a 2001 2.2 CDX Estate auto with cruise & climate.

I have just checked where RobG showed, and I cannot see what he has shown.  At the top of the rad there is the top hose going to the thermostat, beneath that an electrical connection, and towards the bottom another electrical connection, that is it!

Thanks for your help

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2011, 19:08:25 »

Hi,

I have a 2001 2.2 CDX Estate auto with cruise & climate.

I have just checked where RobG showed, and I cannot see what he has shown.  At the top of the rad there is the top hose going to the thermostat, beneath that an electrical connection, and towards the bottom another electrical connection, that is it!

Thanks for your help
4-pots won`t have the rad pump
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2011, 19:18:27 »

Ah ha! Anyway to fit it? As per my initial quote I see the temp needle get up above the 100C mark when stopped after a long run, and the rad fans don't seem to kick in.

Where should the pump for the cabin heating be?

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.