Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate control not working.  (Read 860 times)

howardmoon

• Feltham
    • View Profile
Climate control not working.
« on: 11 April 2011, 16:58:00 »

Hi all, took the MV6 to get the aircon regassed today, no joy as they said it was leaking. Leak so bad that they couldn't get it to take any gas at all.
How easy is it for the home mechanic to find a leak by visual inspection? The car is old and on the point where it's not worth spending hundreds of pounds to fix. But I can't face the summer with no aircon. I'm hoping I can find something obvious and then pay a garage to just replace the part, rather than diagnose the whole problem.

Thanks, Paul 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Climate control not working.
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2011, 17:13:31 »

A decent air con place should be able to have had a look with a UV lamp for signs of the dye that is normally added to the refrigerant to help spot leaks.

Failing that, it is possible to fill the system with an inert gas plus the dye to hopefully spot the leak.

Once you know where the leak is, the offending item can be replaced, and the system vacuumed out and regassed then checked for leaks.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

howardmoon

• Feltham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2011, 17:28:08 »

Thanks Kevin, I'll get a few quotes first as I'm loathe to spend big money on a car that's worth probably £500 at most!!!!  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2011, 17:35:09 »

Thanks Kevin, I'll get a few quotes first as I'm loathe to spend big money on a car that's worth probably £500 at most!!!!  :y

If you find any places in West London who do a free checkup, post back, as mine needs a pressure test  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2011, 17:57:29 »

Hi all, took the MV6 to get the aircon regassed today, no joy as they said it was leaking. Leak so bad that they couldn't get it to take any gas at all.
How easy is it for the home mechanic to find a leak by visual inspection? The car is old and on the point where it's not worth spending hundreds of pounds to fix. But I can't face the summer with no aircon. I'm hoping I can find something obvious and then pay a garage to just replace the part, rather than diagnose the whole problem.

Thanks, Paul 

I have the same problem. I am using my silver car but the air con is kapput. 45 euros for a re-gas but don't know if it will hold the gas. 30 deg C here today already. :-/ :-/ is there a favourite item to fail on the Omega air con pipework?   
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

howardmoon

• Feltham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2011, 22:56:04 »

If you find any places in West London who do a free checkup, post back, as mine needs a pressure test  :y

Hi, I got it fixed today at a place called JB Enterprises, on the A30 between Staines and Ashford hospital. I've not got their number handy as I'm at work, but can PM you tommorow if you want it. A simple regass and a valve replacement came to the measly sum of £65!!!! Cracking VFM!!! Cheers, Paul

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2011, 11:44:01 »

You lucky sod  :)

I had the same problem last year not only the valve needed replacing but the whole pipe that it fitted into. Then there was the leak from the compressor seal so new compressor fitted, followed by a new receiver drier.

End bill £700

You had a great result there  :)
« Last Edit: 13 April 2011, 11:45:34 by markrl »

howardmoon

• Feltham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2011, 19:24:29 »

Yeah, that's what I was expecting TBH, so big surprise to get away with only £65. I'd have ditched the car if mine had been that size bill. I was just very lucky....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.