Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: air con......and hbv  (Read 1955 times)

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
air con......and hbv
« on: 11 August 2010, 22:41:14 »

Hi all.
Had the air con checked before we set off to Spain as it did not feel cold. The air was coming out of the vernts at 7c. It has seemed a bit eratic since. The engine revs go up when ac is turned on, Water under passenger side if stationary. and the whir of the compressor stopping when engine is turned off.
Should the ac fan at the front be on permanently when ac on?

Had to change hbv as the old one was leaking badly. I still have a tiny leak as I can smell the coolant and the level is falling very slowly...may be a clip not seated properly. but at lñeast the loss is so slow it would get me home , but I shall have another look

Any ideas about ac?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2010, 22:46:20 by dbr »

Richgm

• Tamworth
    • View Profile
Re: air con......and hbv
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2010, 22:48:51 »

7°C sounds about right. The engine revs should go up a little when you turn the AC on as the compressor kicks in and the engine has to work harder. I think mine goes from around 600 to 800 RPM. Water under the passenger side may just be condensation but it's worth checking out just to make sure.
The two fans behind the rad are on when the AC is on. But the one at the front is not.

Rich.
Noli nothis permittere te terere

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2010, 22:54:38 »

Will check that out then as it would make sense if a fan  is not on the the cooling would be rerduced or stop.
Dave

GaryBC

• Intermediate Member
  • Egham, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2010, 12:04:41 »

Hi all.
Had the air con checked before we set off to Spain as it did not feel cold. The air was coming out of the vernts at 7c. It has seemed a bit eratic since. The engine revs go up when ac is turned on, Water under passenger side if stationary. and the whir of the compressor stopping when engine is turned off.
Should the ac fan at the front be on permanently when ac on?

Had to change hbv as the old one was leaking badly. I still have a tiny leak as I can smell the coolant and the level is falling very slowly...may be a clip not seated properly. but at lñeast the loss is so slow it would get me home , but I shall have another look

Any ideas about ac?

If you've got Climate Control then the air vent outlet temperature will vary depending on the cabin temp. It will only deliver cooled air until the set-temp is reached. (Ditto when you're heating the cabin in the winter.)

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2010, 00:10:36 »

Not lucky enough for climate...even after changing hbv still drippinf fom same area..not what i want on hols

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2010, 06:27:11 »

My aircon has just been fully serviced and a new compressor fitted. The air vent temp at its lowest is 7 degrees which is usual for a car fitted with Climate Control. That will not stay at 7 because as soon as the cabin temperature reaches its pre-set temperature it will rise in proportion to that anyway automatically and maintain that pre-set figure.  I can't see why anyone would want it any colder than the normal 17 which is the normal lowest CC will go unless it is overidden by using the LO setting which keeps it at 7 if the system is in good working order. Logically it will almost certainly never reach it anyway due to the ambient temperature in the cabin and outside. One thing it will never do is to start to freeze the screen as older types did!
Hope that explains it a bit better. Don't waste your money chasing shadows.
GudLuk (be cool) ;D :y
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2010, 21:00:35 »

7°C sounds about right. The engine revs should go up a little when you turn the AC on as the compressor kicks in and the engine has to work harder. I think mine goes from around 600 to 800 RPM. Water under the passenger side may just be condensation but it's worth checking out just to make sure.
The two fans behind the rad are on when the AC is on. But the one at the front is not.

Rich.
The two fans at the front turn on with the ac. the other single fan is off. The drips are coolant...can even smell it when I stop.  Well its the start of the 1500 mile ride back in the morning. Yesterday it was 52C in next doors garden and today was supposed to be hotter. Hope tomorrow is COLD WITH SNOW!  I wish.
Dave

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2010, 07:04:28 »

Not lucky enough for climate...even after changing hbv still drippinf fom same area..not what i want on hols

Could be the pipe from the hbv to engine block.  For some reason they seem to be more suseptible than other pipes.  A few of us have had them go rather spectacularly recently

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2010, 21:29:21 »

Could be the pipe from the hbv to engine block.  For some reason they seem to be more suseptible than other pipes.  A few of us have had them go rather spectacularly recently
Well, I have done 1450mls to get back and lost about a quarter to half (3/8) inch of coolant from the expansion tank. This was about the same as when tootling around for 3 days.
Will have a serious look at pipes now as I cant feel ant wetness by the hbv. will check your suggestion.
Is the hbv held in place?
Other jobs..Air con to be checked again, radio light, renew plastic tray under engine..vac pipes for leaks as the vent system can almost be controlled from accelerater....can now get a TURBO whistle!! Grill fastner, map holders at rear of seats need fixing as too much was put in....then all should be ok

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2010, 21:32:32 »

My aircon has just been fully serviced and a new compressor fitted. The air vent temp at its lowest is 7 degrees which is usual for a car fitted with Climate Control. That will not stay at 7 because as soon as the cabin temperature reaches its pre-set temperature it will rise in proportion to that anyway automatically and maintain that pre-set figure.  I can't see why anyone would want it any colder than the normal 17 which is the normal lowest CC will go unless it is overidden by using the LO setting which keeps it at 7 if the system is in good working order. Logically it will almost certainly never reach it anyway due to the ambient temperature in the cabin and outside. One thing it will never do is to start to freeze the screen as older types did!
Hope that explains it a bit better. Don't waste your money chasing shadows.
GudLuk (be cool) ;D :y
COOL.... I wish! Stuck a thermometer in a vent while away..26c but it was 34c outside....so maybe it was working in a Spanish sort of way
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.