Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: y26se oil leak newbie  (Read 749 times)

juliangungho

• View Profile
y26se oil leak newbie
« on: 18 August 2010, 21:25:33 »

Hi All, I am new to the group, Its not an omega but its a vectra v6 witha  y26se engine  same as some of the omegas.

The problem I have is an oil leak thats develped from behinnd the starter motor.  I have checked the rocker covers 3 times an they are bone dry and I have thoroughly removed  the breather system and cleaned it all out. Thhe leak is coming down from behind the starter and dripping onto the intermeidate shaft also going down to the sump.

I have been under the car so many times now I am  just lost for words. The leak   is a slow leak that comes down past the back of the  starter  and you can actually watch it when the car is running. on axle stands.

My mind keeps thinking head gasket  but is there something behind the starter like a pipe or core plug maybe for the oil ways?

help any one please  :-/

juliangungho

• View Profile
Re: y26se oil leak newbie
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2010, 10:39:48 »

any one?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2010, 14:01:26 »

I doubt if it is the head gasket, there are no pressure-fed oilways in that area, only the return paths to the sump.
There is a metal breather box above the starter, behind the 1-3-5 head.
Another possible source is the oil cooler pipe unions in the valley, oil might track from here along the line of the 1-3-5 head to block joint before dripping down.
The usual advice is to remove all the old oil with gunk etc and dry it off then follow the leak back to source, some chalk dust or talk might help you trace it.

juliangungho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2010, 15:48:40 »

I was wondering if there were any pressurised galeries in the head, I will take apart agin tonite to have a look and se whats happening. I did stip the breather box off and managed to dismantle it and totally clean it up and clear the blocked pipes that I did have.

My endoscope hasnt arrived but I got my hands on a small usb web cam that  may be smal enough to go into position tonight  so fingers crossed.

thanks

juliangungho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2010, 22:17:26 »

whoa done it , it was a rocker cover issue, the keak was being obsecured by the  injection manifold and breather box, no more leaks.

Now the timing belt to do on sat but can I change the cam shaft seals and crank oil seal whilst they are in place?
thanks

jules
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.