Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vaccum leak behind dash - worth pursuing  (Read 737 times)

TECHNOPUG

• Islington - London & Essex
    • View Profile
Vaccum leak behind dash - worth pursuing
« on: 19 June 2008, 13:29:37 »

Hi,

got a vaccum leak coming from in/behind the dash. Audible in the cabin with no throttle or very light throttle. Goes as the revs rise. Any idea what it can be? Definitely coming from the middle centre of teh dash, not from the engine bay (I'd never hear it if it was!). Is it worth trying to identify and fix - bearing in mind that I'm not prepared to start pulling the dash apart if it's not crucial to performance or safety.

Thanks,

Andrew

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccum leak behind dash - worth pursuing
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2008, 13:47:24 »

A couple of us mentioned we had problems with the central air vents not working a couple of weeks ago.  I havent checked mine as yet, but they were working one day and not annother.

It was mentioned about vacum pipes, check all your dials for thier correct operation and through all possiblities and if something isnt working then this could be the cause.  If it is then would it be possible for you to take and post some pictures of your finding's.

TIA.   :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TECHNOPUG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2008, 14:00:00 »

Yeah, I'm thinking heater/air controls. Won't have a chance to look into it this weekend - got too much to do - new tyres, new discs, new pads, replace brake fluid, oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, coolant, clean breather and plenum, fit stereo.....hope it's good weather!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2008, 14:06:13 »

Yeah, I'm thinking heater/air controls. Won't have a chance to look into it this weekend - got too much to do - new tyres, new discs, new pads, replace brake fluid, oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, coolant, clean breather and plenum, fit stereo.....hope it's good weather!

So after doing all that, you still have Saturday afternoon free.      ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TECHNOPUG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2008, 14:13:06 »

LOL! If only.

In fairness, only the brakes and the stereo will take any length of time. Will start with the brakes and once they are done, the rest of the jobs are straightforward. Getting the tyres done in the morning plus picking up parts/stereo. So won't get to work until after lunch. Only doing the front brakes also, so that makes it easier. Would be nice to think that it will all be done by Saturday but no doubt drag inot Sunday, especially as the car needs a good clean inside and out.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2008, 14:15:09 »

If you have any bulbs out on the centre dash, I reckon the stero, bulbs and Vac leak might all get sorted in one go. :y

TECHNOPUG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2008, 14:23:26 »

No bulbs out as far as I can tell. Removing the binnicle is pretty straightforward though from what I have read?

Will have a dig about when I fit the stereo and see if I can identify the leak. Might just be a hose has popped off or something simple.

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2008, 08:44:20 »

I had the same - it was 2 (or was it 3?) of the pipes came off the back of the distribution "switch".  Usually dislodged by stereo replacement as the pipes run down the back of the stereo.

Ashtray out (insert, then centre screw), two screws behind the ashtray (or is it 2 and 1?), then anther 4 - one behind each heater knob (they just pull off).   You'll then see the heater panel screws - remove these and pull/wiggle gently to get at the back of the switch.  Bit fiddly, but doable.
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

TECHNOPUG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2008, 12:53:05 »

Yeah - it was the whole plug that had come of the back of the heater control. So very easy fix. Glad I got it done as the heater was permantly on full heat and none of the controls worked.

The stereo was a bit of a pain. It plugged straight into the cars original connections and powered up fine. But Plod had cut into the front speakers to use for their own equipment. No problem I thought, I'll just reconnect them. But they had cut them about 10mm from the connector block and there was no way I could join them back up with such little wire to play with. After a bit of head scratching, trying to work out an easy bodge, I decided that the only proper way of doing it was to chop all 13 wires off the car connector and join them up to an adapter (which also had 13 wires and a connector block - and all the wires were different colours). Fortunatley I had plenty of solder and it all worked first time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.