Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help pls!  (Read 1181 times)

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Help pls!
« on: 07 October 2007, 14:11:50 »

I own a 2.5td elite (BMW engine)

Have a problem with it overheating at the mo!!  (Hope its not a head gasket)  She is reaching max temp with the red-light on

Leaking water from the header tank as if there is a block/trapped air or similar, topped up the water and let her run.  She then sucked down the water I gave her, got level correct etc.

She is now spitting the water out of the header tank fairly quickly, and from the front of the car I can hear a loud buzzing noise that was not there before??

Anyone had this??  - Im hoping its something minor - worst fears is that my headgasket has gone!

Also worth mentioning that I left the heaters on in the car whilst topping up - they were blowing warm air (not hot), and I squeezed the hose and it felt bubbly as the water was squeezed throught o the header tank?
« Last Edit: 07 October 2007, 14:16:47 by phil21turbo »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Help pls!
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2007, 14:33:59 »

:(

Follow the saga of Project Tractor aka Project TB2 ;)

BTW, the engine is 'safe' to 110C (which is 100C on the gauge). Higher you run an extreme risk of cracking head, or at least blowing the HG.

Firstly, check the impellors are still on water pump.

Secondly, remove stat and test in a pan of boiling water

Thirdly, check rad has no cold spots as it warms up (BMW engine sludges up rad at about 100k)

Forthly, give the cooling system a decent flush with Forte, and give the engine oil a good flush with a very strong flush (<<< This is what cured my overheating, though other damage had already been done)

Lastly, if still not cured, to quote many on this forum "OFF WITH ITS HEAD!" :(

Do NOT allow the temp gauge to go ideally above 97/98C on gauge, and definately not above 100C.
Grumpy old man

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2007, 14:39:32 »

Thanks - I will try your recommendations before committing to any expensive repairs!

Also the temp was at 110 before I noticed the light was on!!  Fingers crossed its nothing expensive!!  :'(

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2007, 16:26:15 »

Does the TD have an electrical pump located at the front of the car?    If so there is a loud buzzing noise coming from the front bumper drivers side?

Could this be the cause of the problem?

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2007, 18:35:19 »

my money is on the rad  or waterpump,simply because when i test drove your car the more i ragged it the hotter it went,when i backed off it cooled quite quickly.a properly operating cooling system will show almost no difference in temp no matter how you drive it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2007, 20:27:28 »

Does the TD have an electrical pump located at the front of the car?    If so there is a loud buzzing noise coming from the front bumper drivers side?

Could this be the cause of the problem?
there is an intercooler fan there.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2007, 20:28:19 »

Normal running, without it overheating (ie never above midpoint on gauge), is coolant overpressurising?
Grumpy old man

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2007, 21:22:52 »

Well went out today, and could not get the hose off with the thermostat in it!  I was going to cut the bugger, but didnt bother.  Got a friend who owns a workshop looking at it tomorrow.

Good news is that he sounded familiar with the engine, as he started by diagnosing the possibilty of the BMW lump having a cracked head over the phone.

Will see what happens - I just hope she has got a bloackage somewhere??  If not I will be breaking her to keep my losses to a  minimum, as i dont fancy the thought of an expensive head gasket repair!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2007, 21:25:16 »

Well went out today, and could not get the hose off with the thermostat in it!  I was going to cut the bugger, but didnt bother.  Got a friend who owns a workshop looking at it tomorrow.

Good news is that he sounded familiar with the engine, as he started by diagnosing the possibilty of the BMW lump having a cracked head over the phone.

Will see what happens - I just hope she has got a bloackage somewhere??  If not I will be breaking her to keep my losses to a  minimum, as i dont fancy the thought of an expensive head gasket repair!

HG cost me about £130 ish, inc gaskets, head bolts etc. The swearing was free...
Grumpy old man

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2007, 22:09:28 »

HG cost me about £130 ish, inc gaskets, head bolts etc. The swearing was free...

Plus head skim, oil, anti freeze etc - would I need to change the timing chain?  (no experience of chains - just whips LOL!)

In hein sight sounds reasonable already!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2007, 22:12:23 »

Plus head skim, oil, anti freeze etc - would I need to change the timing chain?  (no experience of chains - just whips LOL!)

In hein sight sounds reasonable already!
Officially not possible to machine tractor heads.  Oil and coolant change never harm anyway, esp on the BMW tractor engine with its 4.5k oil change interval (so change at 3k max anyway)...
Grumpy old man

phil21turbo

• Slough, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2007, 15:28:48 »

Well came back from friends workshop earlier  :'(  Head is cracked

Im selling the car as it is - was going to break it, but need rid of it ASAP so I can buy another Omega

If anyone is interested in the car let me know with a sensible offer.  Apart from the engine and the bottoms of the passenger doors its mint! I really liked that car too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.