Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega elite detailed by www.finerdetails.co.uk  (Read 3636 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Omega elite detailed by www.finerdetails.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2010, 16:09:50 »

I used to have my own valeting company many years ago a valeted mainly trade cars and taxis'  Most people want a car cleaning to a budget.  But all cars were done equally to the same standard, i wasnt aware of any of the claying proceedures in those days but didnt really have the clients that would pay for it.

All my full valets were striped of mats, stickers, car junk, spere wheel, jack and boot carpet along with wheel cover.

All customer belongings and bits put in a plastic sack or box and then the car thouroughly hoovered out.

Moved up for steam cleaning - TFR all under the bonnet, door frames and panels, round the boot where the seal is then on to the wheels. - Turn the steam sleaner down from pressure wash to more steam and water, do the bonnet and engine bay, then all the door frames and panels, then on to the boot and do round the seal and if required the boot itself, then
back under the engine to do some of the bits missed because of the ammount of steam, than on to wheels and arches.

Prespray the car with a jet wash and TFR mix, low pressure (allways start from the bottom) then turn the TFR off and give the whole car a good jet wash, especially round the rubber trim and seals.  Visual check for tar and missed bits, treat, finish and rinse off.

Move the car out of the wet and leather off, and then move to a valeteing bay.  Clean the dash board and plastics then a full upholsty clean with a wet and dry vac, sucking out any excess water from the door panels and checking the pockets where clean on the doors.

Start the engine and check for misfires and get up to temp, set the heaters on full heat floor and partial windows and vents, shut the doors and start the body polish and tratements.

Open the doors, turn off engine, wet vac the seats to remove any more water.

Whislt this was going on the Spare wheel, jack, mats and carpets from the boot as well as wheel trims were all presprayed and then pressure washed.  When dried they were placed back by the car.

Most cars were left for the whole day if private, half day if trade and once finhed where deried out as mush as time would allow, generally they had another going over on the seats and carpets every hour or 2.

An hour before the customer was due, the windows were cleaned, tax disc put back in the window, dash,vents and switches finshed and checked., boot reasembled.

When the customer turned up, invite them to inspect, then put paper mats and seat cover in, plus ask where all customers belongings were to be put and show him anything that would have been found under the seats etc.

The above is a basic summary of a full car valet, a lot has not been mentioned.  Todays full valets they tend not to do the engine bay.

Couple of things worthy of a mention here.

T-cut strips a fine layer of paint of your car.  any polish that turns the polishing cloth the same colour as your car is actually removong paint.

A lot of people are not aware that polish and wax do differnt jobs on a car.

One of the main things people do wrong when cleaning a car is start from the top.  How many times have you seen a person slop a bloody great soapy sponge in the middle of the roof of the car about to be cleaned.

Allways soften dirt from the bottom of the car and rince it off, never use a sponge at the very start.  once the car is wet than soap the car with a sponge, dont suppose this really matters where you but be methodical with it.  If you do decide to use anything to agitae stubborn dirn, then the pressure wash would be my 1st option, a brush on the end of a hose would be my 2nd.  But using a sponge is just holding the dirt particles on the surface therefore rubbing them against the paint work.

The reason for not soaping a dry car from scratch and starting on the roof is that each run of soapy water that runs down the cars cuts it's own clean line down the paint work, and if only doing a quick wash to nip to the shops then may shows the marks when leathered off.  Looks a bugga on dark cars.

A good was twice a year could be by far the paint protction to stop the dirt affecting your paintwork in the first place.

Plus dont believe the hype about cleaning a car is all elow grease.  A good valet is the result of good qualtity materials, some elbow grease, but overall is personal job satifaction.

The ultimate way to valet the interior of a car is do remove the seats and if possible even the carpet, this way you can clean all the carpet and thorougly dry before refitting and on the seats you can clean the seat frames as you have better access to theand the sides of the seat next to the centre console.

The simple bits a lot of valeters dont do, Interior mirror, glove box, door pockets, centre console, air vents and parts of the boot including the space wheel.

When you pay for a full valet then Expect one.

£250 for the full works by the OP.

As mentioned a lot of that will be overheads, you wouldnt pay a back street valeters £250 for a job like this which is why the top class car owners dont use them.  If the guy is booked up a week in advance then that means he is doing the job right for the money he is charging, if it was too much for that particular erea then he simply would not be as busy.

As for doing one aday, they should easly manage to 2 a day with 2 of them working if they have the space for 2 cars.

I will say this though, the guy has thought the job out and I nocticed he has hung white plastic sheeting on the walls to protect the walls and give him the extra presentaion image.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2010, 17:27:45 »

Skruntie, that was actually a very interestiing post

:y

The Omega pictured looks lovely, shame the whole effect was spolit by the spare wheel though.

Alot of money for the work, I have a valeter friend who does a bloody good job for £40 and gets it as clean as I could ever want it

« Last Edit: 30 June 2010, 17:28:22 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2010, 20:24:21 »

Not wanting to get into it with anybody but i think a good valet is good for some guys and what you pay the smaller prices for but what the o.p has had done is a full detail which involves a lot more and the use of top products which are not cheap in them selfs.

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2010, 20:30:19 »

Not wanting to get into it with anybody but i think a good valet is good for some guys and what you pay the smaller prices for but what the o.p has had done is a full detail which involves a lot more and the use of top products which are not cheap in them selfs.

I totally agree mate, I was merely pointing to the fact that for "me" the car is plenty clean enough for £40

The car detailed here looks  fabulous, without a doubt, but I am unsure I would need that thorough a job doing for that sort of money unless it was going to appear in a magazine/wedding/advert

No offence at all intended to OP, he has got a lovely car and looks amazing when detailed.

The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2010, 20:38:24 »

Sorry if you think that i was poping off at peeps but i'm not mate i could not  spend that type of cash myself on getting it done thats why i bought different products and joined detailing world and started to have a go myself... Thinking about it it mite of been cheaper to get it done by Iain at finerdetails with all the stuff i have bought. ;D ;D ;D It does get addicting.

I get what you mean about if it was going in a show/mag/wedding. :y :y

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2010, 20:42:40 »

Sorry if you think that i was poping off at peeps but i'm not mate i could not  spend that type of cash myself on getting it done thats why i bought different products and joined detailing world and started to have a go myself... Thinking about it it mite of been cheaper to get it done by Iain at finerdetails with all the stuff i have bought. ;D ;D ;D It does get addicting.

I get what you mean about if it was going in a show/mag/wedding. :y :y

ianu

• Intermediate Member
  • Oxfordshire
    • XC90/Maserati QPV/CooperS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2010, 22:10:46 »

Stunning result - and especially on the dark colour. This is quite a delicate skill remember - so you are also paying for that passion and experience not to c*ck it up. Get it wrong and you do a lot more damage than you can fix with the tools you've got.
I'm a bit of a detail nut - and I'm still mastering the wonders of the clay bar (get it wrong and you add more scratches than you can shake a stick at - I don't have a machine polisher yet - it scares me a bit actually - but I'd love to be able to go that extra last micron). But with care and attention - even without a machine polish - you can get stunning results.
For me with such a beautiful finish (and having invested a decent sum to achieve it) - my advice would be about keeping it like it for as long as possible - and as above that will be down to washing technique.
There are pages and pages of info on the Detailing World site - the one I'd pick out above all others is using at least the 2 bucket system and a decent lambswool washmit to avoid putting those swirls back in the finish ( I use 3 buckets now - 1 soap & 2 rinse - and I still get fine silt in the bottom of the 3rd bucket).
I've got a Sapphire Black Elite - and it's the single most satisfying car I've ever had to wash and polish - it looks amazing like this one when it's buffed up.
I could talk very sad for a long time about this - but when they look this good you should think very carefully about what you use to clean it with and how you clean to keep it looking good.
Personally I like the satisfaction of doing it myself - but I know people that have spent twice this and I understand why too.
Fantastic result - I'd love to do this for a living - sense of achievement must be brilliant... :y

Cheers
Ian.

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2010, 22:41:52 »

I used to be a valetor myself and still have all the kit, i appreciate the time and effort that can go into cleaning a car properly as opposed to throwin a bucket of water over it.

Ive never tried the clay bar thing before tho but have used carnuba wax in the past, ive been looking at buying one to try soon and see what sort of results i can achieve. I could literaly spend hours on cleaning my car even though its not that dirty, theres always something to clean! lol.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2010, 23:17:57 »

Stunning result - and especially on the dark colour. This is quite a delicate skill remember - so you are also paying for that passion and experience not to c*ck it up. Get it wrong and you do a lot more damage than you can fix with the tools you've got.
I'm a bit of a detail nut - and I'm still mastering the wonders of the clay bar (get it wrong and you add more scratches than you can shake a stick at - I don't have a machine polisher yet - it scares me a bit actually - but I'd love to be able to go that extra last micron). But with care and attention - even without a machine polish - you can get stunning results.
For me with such a beautiful finish (and having invested a decent sum to achieve it) - my advice would be about keeping it like it for as long as possible - and as above that will be down to washing technique.
There are pages and pages of info on the Detailing World site - the one I'd pick out above all others is using at least the 2 bucket system and a decent lambswool washmit to avoid putting those swirls back in the finish ( I use 3 buckets now - 1 soap & 2 rinse - and I still get fine silt in the bottom of the 3rd bucket).
I've got a Sapphire Black Elite - and it's the single most satisfying car I've ever had to wash and polish - it looks amazing like this one when it's buffed up.
I could talk very sad for a long time about this - but when they look this good you should think very carefully about what you use to clean it with and how you clean to keep it looking good.
Personally I like the satisfaction of doing it myself - but I know people that have spent twice this and I understand why too.
Fantastic result - I'd love to do this for a living - sense of achievement must be brilliant... :y

Cheers
Ian.

and while ever you are using a mit to wash a car then the chances are that the silt in your bucker was acting like a scouring pad on your paint work and leaving the ice rink affect from scaters.

Also if you can find any, try and get some Grand Prix DI car polish, it used to come in an orange one gallon container for the trade.  It did the best job ever on black cars, but it was a case of polish on, then polish off then polish off again, then when complete we used to seal it with a carnuba gold wax

Under any light conditions you would have thought you were looking at a blemish free glass car.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.