Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car looking like a total shed.. but turns out to b  (Read 1521 times)

SJKOO01

Car looking like a total shed.. but turns out to b
« on: 09 August 2010, 20:41:49 »

Anyone on here ever bought a car cheaply for one reason or another (1st car / money problems / etc).

And while looking like a shed, and all your friends are taking the .... out of it.  it turns out to be a real gem of a car, needing very little work, extremely reliable, and makes a mockery out of your friends spanking new cars ??.

And sad to see it go to the great scrap heap in the sky in the end, because it just finally does give one last journey, and then one day dies with dignity, never to turn a piston over again  :'( .

For me it was my first car, an automatic 3dr hatch vauxhall chevette, in a deep blue...  fantistic little motor for me....

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Car looking like a total shed.. but turns out to b
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2010, 20:49:29 »

I had a car like that once, bmw 5 series, owned it for 3yrs hardly had anything need doing to it other than usual tyres etc... i always kept it in smart condition it never let me down.... until the day i came to swap it for my first omega, on the morning i was on my way out to deliver to its new owner the battery was flat. Very spooky... almost like it didnt want to go, it was a sad sad day. :(

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2010, 21:19:36 »

vw jetta, tidy, boring, nothing spent. sold it to my brother. crashed it into a mini cos of the crap brakes. got small water leak which blew the head, cracked the block and because of the attempted bump start in reverse broke the gearbox.

never mind. :D

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2010, 23:02:29 »

Fiat 127 (don't laugh), never once failed me. Absolute piece of s**t to look at though

Jon
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2010, 23:21:33 »

My last car was like that, had it for 9 years only ever needed a waterpump & tyres (renault Laguna 2) :y
The bugger i've got now causes the neighbours no end of mirth, they break into song whenever I have the boot or bonnet open!  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZSjSOOVxQ
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2010, 23:26:47 »

My last car was like that, had it for 9 years only ever needed a waterpump & tyres (renault Laguna 2) :y
The bugger i've got now causes the neighbours no end of mirth, they break into song whenever I have the boot or bonnet open!  :(

well done on your u tube venture ;D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2010, 23:30:12 »

well done on your u tube venture ;D

Thanks tapper. it only took 4 goes! ;D ;D ;D :y
« Last Edit: 09 August 2010, 23:30:51 by philrich1064 »
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2010, 09:38:03 »

Bought an Alfa Romeo Alfasud once ( I know, but it WAS cheap.......) only paid £65 for it with 6 months tax and test, really poor bodywork, but 44k on the engine. Only bought it cos I had been made redundant and gave the company car back, and needed a car until my next job gave me another company car.
That little car gave me over 9k of totally trouble free miles, passed its next mot with no advisories, and sold for £150 when I got another job. It was good to drive too, the little boxer engine was peaky, and fun in bends. Pity about the body, that rusted as you looked at it!!

AND the bloke I sold it to resprayed it, did the arches, and kept it another 3 years with nothing realy spent on it.....I know, cos I used to change the oil, etc on it for him as he wasn't mechanically minded. Good car, crap body, lovely engine.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2010, 10:01:15 »

I had a fiat Croma. Bought it with 70 thousand km on the clock
Did 100 000 km in it without problems.
That car could drive with no water or oil  ;D, only fuel was necessary.
Had a big crash in it, and made a complete mess out of Opel Kadett, fortunately everyone was ok. Kadett was a write off but Croma was relatively cheap to repair and not damaged to much.
Sold it and the guy hit a wall in the corner at 100Km/h and he was ok.
He had several more crashes cause he was a hooligan at the wheel  >:( and ruined the car completely at the end

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2010, 14:03:23 »

Oh Dear this is going to sound bad!!!! but I bought my mig estate cheap off ebay(614quid) just to use for the 5month trip round spain towing a huge caravan, it was only meant to be used for this trip and then sold, since then a young lad in a peugeuot hit me up the back, insurance company wanted to write it off, paid me 700 to repair it meself,(total cost me doing it was around a hundred), its been back and forth to spain umpteen times, ive had it 5 years, its been used to towstart and articulated truck, a race car transporter, a van, towed umpteen car trailers, been soundly thrashed everywhere,survived the mrs driving it :'( AND I STILL HAVE IT HERE IN SPAIN WITH ME!!!

just cannot find anything as cheap or as good to replace it with!! still uses no oil between services and still drives as good as the day i got it, now thats a damned good car!!! total mileage now is still only 134k it is a m plate and the only rust on it is the right hand rear arch which aint all that bad to be honest, of course it wont get anyworse out here!!
flame suit on :y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2010, 15:19:40 »

88 nissan sunny was a legend, paid 300 for it ran it for 3 years with virtually no probs, got crashed into and insurance gave me 350 plus the car back, mended it with a lump hammer and sold the car for 325........genius
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2010, 17:18:15 »

S reg Omega CDX V6 Auto saloon

Purchased in July last year from ebay for £227 as had quality tyres on. Purchased one days insurance to drive it home.

Got a lift to it from a mate who was going that way - £0. Drove it 150 miles home with fuel already in the tank - £0.  :y

Swapped the wheel/tyres with mine  :y
Removed leather interior & sold it £75  :y
Removed cruise control & sold on ebay to guy in Singapore £95 :y
Sold various bits for maybe another £50 or so  :y
Stripped loads of spares off it which I still have  :y
Towed it down the scrap yard & got £180 for it  :y

So, all in all, it made me £156 profit and I got a set of quality mint tyres off it - top car that was

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2010, 22:01:15 »

Fiat Marea Weekend 155/20v. Got it dirt cheap off eBay, drove it loads for three years, only cost me tyres and a back box. Passed every MOT, had the Fiat Coupe engine so really quick. Used about a litre of oil every 2000 miles, but that engine is renowned for it. Looked like a pretty ordinary estate at the traffic lights, but could put many a boy racer to shame  :D Gave it to my father in law a year ago, he put another 15k on the clock, but sadly the top hose went, he kept driving it, and the big end went  >:( Shame.
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.