Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thatcher discharged from hospital  (Read 4227 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Thatcher discharged from hospital
« Reply #75 on: 02 November 2010, 20:01:08 »

If maggie was so good why didnt she do the Falklands war when she first knew about it Instead of waiting for the election? She also did POLL TAX .
All Politicians like the public because we forget very quickly..
I think A woman would do better BUT Maggie wasnt it

She didn't!!! ::) ::) ::)

The Falklands were re-taken within 74 days following the Argies invasion, and after she had determinedly ordered a Battle Task Force to be assembled.  It had nothing to do with an election, although the 1984 GE victory was greatly assisted by the Falklands success. ;) ;)

1983.....Methinks Lizzie.... ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yes, thanks Opti, I slipped a year! :-[ :-[ :D :D ;)

A senior moment perhaps...Lizzie.... ::) ::) ;) :-* :-*

Yes, and 1984 of course had a very special meaning!! :D :D

I know what you mean.....I quoted 1966....for the Battle of Hastings the other day Lizzie.... :-/ :-* :-*

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #76 on: 02 November 2010, 20:26:28 »

If maggie was so good why didnt she do the Falklands war when she first knew about it Instead of waiting for the election? She also did POLL TAX .
All Politicians like the public because we forget very quickly..
I think A woman would do better BUT Maggie wasnt it

She didn't!!! ::) ::) ::)

The Falklands were re-taken within 74 days following the Argies invasion, and after she had determinedly ordered a Battle Task Force to be assembled.  It had nothing to do with an election, although the 1984 GE victory was greatly assisted by the Falklands success. ;) ;)

1983.....Methinks Lizzie.... ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yes, thanks Opti, I slipped a year! :-[ :-[ :D :D ;)

A senior moment perhaps...Lizzie.... ::) ::) ;) :-* :-*

Yes, and 1984 of course had a very special meaning!! :D :D

I know what you mean.....I quoted 1966....for the Battle of Hastings the other day Lizzie.... :-/ :-* :-*

What do you mean, there was a Battle of Hastings in 1966 Opti!! ::) ::) ::)

It was the Battle between the Mods and Rockers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

albitz

« Reply #77 on: 02 November 2010, 21:32:46 »

The Falklands conflict was an interesting episode.
Before the conflict Mrs T was the most unpopular PM anyone could remember, her chances of winning another election were close to zero.
In Dec. 1981 argentinian scrap metal merchants started landing on the island of South Georgia.This was seen as provocative by the British, who formally protested, and many weeks of diplomatic talks ensued.
Strangely around this time, there had been rumours that the Royal Naval vessel,HMS Endurance, which had the task of patrolling the islands was to be scrapped.
On the 2nd of Feb. 82 Mrs T sent a letter of reassurance to a party activist, staing that there was a sufficient force in place to prevent an invasion of the islands.
Exactly a week later she confirmed that HMS Endurance would be retired.
On the 5th of March foreign secretrary refuses requests to send a sub to patrol the area.The next day an Argy Hercules transporter plane claims to have a fuel leak and lands at Stanley airport. Several senior officers are on board and disembark for a tour of port stanley.
Over the next few weeks there are more landings,lots of talks back and forth and preperations are underway for the possibility of sending a task force to the Falklands.
The Argentinians invaded on the 2nd of April. The UN, the EU etc put all their diplomatic efforts into overdrive attempting to talk the Argies into leaving, but they dont seem to be listening.
There have been a few skirmishes but little lose of life.
By the end of April the task force has arrived, a total exclusion zone has been declared in the sea around the islands and British forces land and start fighting the Argies.
On the 2nd of may the position of the Argy ship - General Belgrano - is reported to London as a matter of routine. Many reports have stated that it wwas outside the exclusion zone and heading away from it towards Argentina.
The word came back from London to HMS Conqueror, to sink it it.
It has been alleged ( but not substantiated afaik) that the Commander in charge, asked for the message to be clarified as he didnt believe what he was hearing. The ship was torpedoed, and approx. 350 lives were lost. The war really kicked off after this event, and a diplomatic outcome was no longer a realistic option.
14th June, Argies surrender, Falklands is back under British control. 255 British lives lost,645 Argentinian lives lost.
12th October 1982- Mrs T holds a victory parade in London.
9th June 1983 - she wins a landslide in the General Election.

A cynical person might think that she deliberately engineered the situation so she could have herself a war, fulfilling her wish to be a latter day female version of her hero - Churchill, and rescue her career at the same time. ::)

An interesting footnote to all this is that one of the ships logs from the Conquerer went missing after the war, it was rumoured that it contained info which would prove that the Belgrano was sunk in the full knowledge that it wasnt a threat to British forces.
A chap by the name of Commander Robert Green was suspected of leaking info on this subject to Labour MP Tam Dalyell, it was even rumoured that Green may have been in possesion of the missing log.
Greens aunt - Hilda Murrell was an anti nuclear peace activist, and on the 21st March 1984 her house near Shrewsbury was burgled and she was forcibly driven off in her own car.
Her mutilated body was found by local police 3 days later.
Tam Dalyell stated under parliamentary privilege that British intelligence agents had been sent to her house to search for sensitive material, but she came home unexpectedly and discovered them, so they killed her.

Im not a paranoid conspiricy theorist, and Im sure there is plenty of info which suggests otherwise, but its certainly a very interesting episode in recent British history.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 02 November 2010, 21:43:43 »

The Falklands conflict was an interesting episode.//-

-// Greens aunt - Hilda Murrell was an anti nuclear peace activist, and on the 21st March 1984 her house near Shrewsbury was burgled and she was forcibly driven off in her own car.
Her mutilated body was found by local police 3 days later.
Tam Dalyell stated under parliamentary privilege that British intelligence agents had been sent to her house to search for sensitive material, but she came home unexpectedly and discovered them, so they killed her.

Im not a paranoid conspiricy theorist, and Im sure there is plenty of info which suggests otherwise, but its certainly a very interesting episode in recent British history.

I enjoyed reading that son (edited for the sake of space only).

The upshot is - irrespective of the government of the day, the press, pressure groups, do-gooders and the legion of the righteous – etcetera, etcetera - the Establishment will always prevail.

albitz

« Reply #79 on: 02 November 2010, 22:20:08 »

With few exceptions - very true uncle Z. :y

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 03 November 2010, 00:21:44 »

interesting footnote to the Falklands War, in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941, only one US warship - the USS Phoenix survived completely unscathed and went on to earn 9 battle stars in WWII, it was decommissioned in 1946 and sold to the Argentinians in '51 where it was renamed...........
......the General Belgrano and so, having survived Pearl Harbour alone, became the first and to date only ship ever to be sunk by a nuclear sub - HMS Conqueror :o

fascinating history eh?  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

albitz

« Reply #81 on: 03 November 2010, 00:28:59 »

Another footnote is that when the first British ship (Sheffield ?) was hit by an Exocet, a French bloke - cant remember if he was a politician, or a senior figure in the company which manufactured the missiles  - said that it was a great day for France.
We signed a 50 year joint defence contract with France today. Funny old world aint it?  ::) :)

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 03 November 2010, 00:31:14 »

Another footnote is that when the first British ship (Sheffield ?) was hit by an Exocet, a French bloke - cant remember if he was a politician, or a senior figure in the company which manufactured the missiles  - said that it was a great day for France.
We signed a 50 year joint defence contract with France today. Funny old world aint it?  ::) :)

we've probably had a few british weapons used on our troops to be fair too Albs...........

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.  :y
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

albitz

« Reply #83 on: 03 November 2010, 00:35:22 »

I paid no attention in French lessons in school (nor any lessons for that matter) so Ive no idea what most of that means. ;D
Still dont trust em though. Ive never been there and tbh dont want to go.My sister has been trying to persuade me for years to go to her place in the south of France, but I would much rather go back to New Hampshire.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 03 November 2010, 00:35:28 »

interesting footnote to the Falklands War, in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941, only one US warship - the USS Phoenix survived completely unscathed and went on to earn 9 battle stars in WWII, it was decommissioned in 1946 and sold to the Argentinians in '51 where it was renamed...........
......the General Belgrano and so, having survived Pearl Harbour alone, became the first and to date only ship ever to be sunk by a nuclear sub - HMS Conqueror :o

fascinating history eh?  :y

Indeed so BJ, a strange happenstance.

In any event history is, of course, a fascinating subject.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 03 November 2010, 00:37:47 »

we've probably had a few british weapons used on our troops to be fair too Albs...........

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.  :y

Yes, there is a dreadful truth to both those remarks.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2010, 00:38:34 by Zulu77 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 03 November 2010, 00:41:16 »

..... when the first British ship (Sheffield ?) was hit by an Exocet, a French bloke ......

I can remember going to our messdeck on our training ship - HMS GlamourousOrgan in Pompey - at 'stand easy' and watching the news of that happening as though it was this morning.  :( :( :(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #87 on: 03 November 2010, 06:30:02 »

Albs, ref: Your summary on the Falklands Way - May I say a very good one that covers all the facts that we think we know :y :y :y :y

It will be very interesting in 70 years time to be a historian researching all the, by then, de-classified papers on the War! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 03 November 2010, 08:29:58 »

Love Thatcher or hate her, you have to admit she was a strong woman with guts and ideas that were steadfast and she was definately "not for turning" on a lot of things she did. She was staunchly BRITISH and absolutely loyal to the core.
IMHO the like of her will not be seen again.

I am not a "Thatcherite", but get well soon, Maggie x
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Martin_1962

« Reply #89 on: 03 November 2010, 09:01:59 »

However the Sea Harriers owned the Mirages
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.