Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Knocking  (Read 4211 times)

05omegav6

Re: Knocking
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2015, 18:54:33 »

I hope your garages followed the guide on here particularly regarding tightening the front w/b bolts with wheels loaded. If not you will soon be changing the front bushes:-\

ermhh.
dont know.
how would this be done?
when the car is on the ground there is no space on reaching the wishbone bolts on the front. ????
On ramps :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2015, 18:55:53 »

I hope your garages followed the guide on here particularly regarding tightening the front w/b bolts with wheels loaded. If not you will soon be changing the front bushes:-\

ermhh.
dont know.
how would this be done?
when the car is on the ground there is no space on reaching the wishbone bolts on the front. ????

From the Maintenance guide:
Tightening the bolts with wheels loaded presents a bit of a problem with access, ESP. on lowered cars. Getting under the car while it is on the floor with a torque wrench and tightening the bolts is nigh on impossible with a long handle and the floor in the way. So, simpler and easy way to do it, gently drop the car off the stands with front bush bolts loose/finger tight, drive the car slowly and carefully back and forth to allow the wheels to settle to the right track, they will be pinched otherwise.

Then tighten the bolts with a normal ratchet and spanner as best you can with the car either on the floor or front wheels on ramps, be careful with ramps though, the bumper is in the way unless you have extensions. Once the bolts are bf tight enough to crush the subframe bracket onto the bush centre spacer to hold it still, re Jack the car onto stands both sides and tighten as specified. The bush centre spacer should now be held in line with the correct ride height of the wishbone and suspension.
 :y

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2015, 19:09:14 »

Illadvised... the suspension MUST be loaded, however much of a pita it is. If the car is that lowered, pull the bumper off to get it on ramps.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2015, 22:37:44 »

Illadvised... the suspension MUST be loaded, however much of a pita it is. If the car is that lowered, pull the bumper off to get it on ramps.

Al, I guess you've just elected yourself to re-write the guide. ::) :y

PS. Much easier to fit polys. ;) :y

ckz

• Intermediate Member
  • burton on trent
    • Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2015, 22:58:55 »

standart 16s
225/55 16

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2015, 23:06:52 »

Al, I guess you've just elected yourself to re-write the guide. ::) :y

PS.Much easier to fit polys. ;) :y
Ain't that the truth...

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2015, 23:07:51 »

standart 16s
225/55 16
Ok that rules that out...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2015, 10:01:08 »

ermhh.
dont know.
how would this be done?
On ramps :y

FWIW IIRC the last time I changed standard wishbones some years ago, (before fitting front poly bushes), I had no great difficulty in tightening the front bolts correctly with the car level on ramps. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 January 2015, 12:04:48 »

Ramps will alter the weight distribution rearwards, so you won't get "normal" load on the front suspension. As long as the bushes are clamped, it makes no odds if the final tightening happens with the car raised. My approach is to use Shackeng's method. Tighten up with the car on the ground as far as possible, then jack up and torque tighten.

Actually, it's not. I fitted polybushes. :y

Edit: Oh, you said level on ramps. As you were. :-[

It's PITA to get the car level on ramps though, so I would still tighten on the ground.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2015, 12:29:39 »

Ramps will alter the weight distribution rearwards, so you won't get "normal" load on the front suspension. As long as the bushes are clamped, it makes no odds if the final tightening happens with the car raised. My approach is to use Shackeng's method. Tighten up with the car on the ground as far as possible, then jack up and torque tighten.

Actually, it's not. I fitted polybushes. :y

Edit: Oh, you said level on ramps. As you were. :-[

It's PITA to get the car level on ramps though, so I would still tighten on the ground.

To be fair, this was from Gixer's guide here: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90658.0 :y

ckz

• Intermediate Member
  • burton on trent
    • Vauxhall Omega CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 January 2015, 17:23:10 »

K,
all retorked an done.
and found out what the knocking noise is.

the bearoing on top of the Shocker front passenger side.
now, can this part be sourced seperate, has anybody any ideas where and what part number?
mainly how much wouldthis cost and how to exchange this one?

Thank you

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 14 January 2015, 18:00:10 »

£15-£80 or there abouts... Allgermanparts would be a good place to start :y

The bearing and mounting are available separately, but often come together as a kit...

Heavy duty ones from the Monaro fit pefectly, and therefore, by definition so will Pedders poly ones, at a price... both financially and physically.

Might as well do both as the other side won't be far behind :y

You'll also need the alignment redoing as the strut will be in a different place with new mounts...
« Last Edit: 14 January 2015, 18:02:10 by Taxi Al »

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2015, 20:55:28 »

K,
all re torqued an done.
and found out what the knocking noise is.

the bearing on top of the Shocker front passenger side.
now, can this part be sourced seperate, has anybody any ideas where and what part number?
mainly how much would this cost and how to exchange this one?

Thank you

I ordered mine from Autovaux, Lemforder top mount for £20 + VAT  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.