Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer problem  (Read 1386 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problem
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2014, 15:12:29 »

Screen cable was OK and indicator light on. I've just connected an old screen and it has booted up. Strange coincidence that it should fail immediately after the fault I posted. Thanks for all the help.  :y :y :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2014, 15:38:01 »

Screen cable was OK and indicator light on. I've just connected an old screen and it has booted up. Strange coincidence that it should fail immediately after the fault I posted. Thanks for all the help.  :y :y :y
To be on the safe side see if theres a restore point prior to you installing your new software, if so, do it, and as with any restore best done in Safe Mode.

Stemo

« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2014, 16:12:48 »

Yesterday the screen faded slightly, and something called ABBYY fine sprint seemed to cause it. Apparently this an OCR program (don't know where it came from) but is not suitable for 64bit systems. I tried to uninstall it, but got a message saying uninstall failed. I switched off and now have this problem.
ABBYY will have installed when you ran your printer software. It works with scanner part of your printer. If you uninstall your printer software, it should take ABBYY Finereader with it.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 May 2014, 16:35:25 »

To be on the safe side see if theres a restore point prior to you installing your new software, if so, do it, and as with any restore best done in Safe Mode.

Sadly, system restore has never worked on Win 7 on this computer, even in safe mode, so I use image restore.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2014, 16:40:42 »

http://askville.amazon.com/ABBYY-FineReader-Sprint-computer/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7076816

Yes I've read a few threads relating to this problem, but none which overcomes Windows' reluctance to uninstall it. I thought it came with the printer, a Dell Photo 964, which in theory should not work with Win7, but does if the Vista driver is loaded. However I would still like to uninstall it without uninstalling the printer. I am thinking it must have something to do with the fact that my machine is 64-bit. :-\

Stemo

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2014, 16:52:41 »

http://askville.amazon.com/ABBYY-FineReader-Sprint-computer/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7076816

Yes I've read a few threads relating to this problem, but none which overcomes Windows' reluctance to uninstall it. I thought it came with the printer, a Dell Photo 964, which in theory should not work with Win7, but does if the Vista driver is loaded. However I would still like to uninstall it without uninstalling the printer. I am thinking it must have something to do with the fact that my machine is 64-bit. :-\
If all else fails, you may have to uninstall and reinstall all of the printer software. I'm not clever enough to see another way around it.

That is, of course, if that is the root cause of your problem.   :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2014, 17:02:28 »

Sadly, system restore has never worked on Win 7 on this computer, even in safe mode, so I use image restore.
Yea restore can be a bit hit and miss in Win7, in particullar with windows deciding when to delete its restore points for no reason at all.

I use an Disk Image back up once a month and for Restore use SRM Ver 2, should I need to keep and restore points after 90 days, then just back up the restore files and rename them.  :y

SRM V2 free here - http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/downloads-windows/31256-feedback-system-restore-manager-windows-7-a-4.html#post158757

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2014, 17:31:13 »

Yea restore can be a bit hit and miss in Win7, in particullar with windows deciding when to delete its restore points for no reason at all.

I use an Disk Image back up once a month and for Restore use SRM Ver 2, should I need to keep and restore points after 90 days, then just back up the restore files and rename them.  :y

SRM V2 free here - http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/downloads-windows/31256-feedback-system-restore-manager-windows-7-a-4.html#post158757

Thks Chris looks useful. :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2014, 21:03:08 »

Backlight failure not uncommon on older LCD monitors, where they use fluorescent tubes. Normally total failure is due to the high voltage PSU used to drive them.  :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.