Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mysterious coolant loss  (Read 1085 times)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
mysterious coolant loss
« on: 03 September 2013, 21:07:30 »

I had a call from my dad today, he is forever adding coolant to his 3.2 elite, sometimes about a half a litre sometimes more, so i zapped down to the south coast this afternoon to have a gander, i could not see any leaks whatsoever, checked the HBV all dry, checked all the water connections to the lpg kit, all dry, checked the radiator all good, but it should be it had a new rad last year, gen vx rad to boot. I tried to check the thermostat housing but i forgot to take my torx sockets so i could not remove plenium, so unable to look also at the oil cooler plate, but there are no tell tale signs of coolant loss at the back of the v running down the bell housing. apart from these places i am thinking it could be the water pump, but no visible signs below there either.
We ran the car up to full engine temp untill the fan came on and rechecked all hoses to be found all dry. apart from the 2 places unchecked is there any other areas that can produce coolant loss, No not Hg. by the way the car has 107,000 miles on the clock.
Gary.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: mysterious coolant loss
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2013, 21:10:59 »

Other 'known' area is the hose off the coolant bridge, or around the oil cooler?

Might be worth popping the plenum off and inlet manifold to fully inspect that area  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2013, 21:13:02 »

Think you would be wise doing a cold pressure test as that way you can safely get to all the areas without burning yourself.

Pressure up to around 15psi and see if that shows any evidence

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2013, 21:16:07 »

Other 'known' area is the hose off the coolant bridge, or around the oil cooler?

Might be worth popping the plenum off and inlet manifold to fully inspect that area  :y

If hose from coolant bridge to hbv - you would get massive water loss - this is a main hose.  More likely coolant bridge seals or oil cooler plate - but would expect to see water drips from bellhousing bolts.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2013, 21:21:57 »

... checked the HBV all dry,  ...

At all heat settings & with a/c on & off? It can & does make a difference  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2013, 23:39:30 »

Neck of header tank, and seal of header tank cap.

Both can develop small cracks and allow the pressure to fail to build up, thus the water "boils" - actually evaporates at just below boiling point - and the level will drop .. the longer the journey the more it drops...

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2013, 07:47:26 »

My hbv would only leak a few minutes after turning the car off then basically piss itself, also worth keeping a close eye on the red drain screw at the bottom as they have a tendancy to weep a surprising amount, o ring set from halfords sorts this for a quid or so.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2013, 16:43:25 »

HBV checked with all temp settings in various positions all dry, no water drips from bell bolts, did suggest a replacement coolant bottle and cap, but not sure it will make a difference.
Watch this space as they say for updates as and when I get them.
Gary
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.