Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Taxi Drivers  (Read 2104 times)

05omegav6

Re: Taxi Drivers
« Reply #15 on: 03 December 2012, 20:27:29 »

Not much to be said to that TG :-X

Rather than bleating about it, next time complain to the company concerned, note his badge and plate number and their response and write to the licencing officer at the council.

But first, ask yourself this... How many times a day can you tolerate being asked the following questions:

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?
4. Are you some kind of ...t?
5. In response to which way would you like to go... Fastest and cheapest.(these are usually mutually exclusive)
6. That's a king rip off I'm not paying that... Used to get that alot just from putting the meter on, closely followed by 4.
7. What you going this way for?  uh because it's the shortest, and therefore cheapest route...
8. if I wanted your help, I'd have king well asked for it

I would consider myself to be a reasonably tolerant person, but even I struggled to bite my tongue at times :-\

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 December 2012, 20:27:59 »

I drove taxis for 20 years, in my area there is only one garage that tests the cars, it used to be the police that tested them but they gave that up.
The guy that runs the garage is an absolute power hungry tosser. He truly gets off on the fact that if he deems your car to be unroadworthy, then it's off with the plate and you can't run it as a taxi until the problem is fixed.  >:(

Fair enough you may think, can't have death traps ferrying the good townspeople around. I agree.

But when this little jumped up Hitler can put my car of the road for having a scratch about 6inches long in my paintwork, well, I can't write on here what I really want to.

Another time my car was grounded for having 4mm of tread on the tyres. Eh, isn't the law stating 1.6mm? ( at least it was at the time) so I rang the local traffic cops to ask why this guy can say that the legal limit of 1.6mm isn't good enough for him and he wants 4??  >:( >:(
The answer... We don't get involved! So I asked if my car wasn't being tested today and the boys in blue had stopped me and seen i had 4mm of tread left, would they have ordered me off the road?
Of course the answer was no.... So why the hell can hitler say its not enough tread??!! >:( >:( >:(
It's not a personal thing either, he has upset virtually every driver/owner I know.

I haven't drove a taxi for around 5 years now, but I swear if I ever meet that dickhead in a dark ally one night....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2012, 06:59:56 »

Oh yes, there is always another side to any story al!

I have heard some pretty nasty things that taxi drivers have had to put up with down here in Kent.  One ended up getting murdered! :o :o :o :o :o
I personally know of three drivers in Horsham who have been held up at knife point, I've been assaulted twice, and I actually struggle to think of any of my colleagues who haven't been verbally/physically threatened. It really is the 15% that keep you going sometimes :-\

Ive been a PH driver for 10+ years now.......

Ive been verbally abused, spat at......countless times......strangely always at the point when your telling the 'customer' the correct fare....

Thankfully i havent been physically assaulted yet.....but i know drivers who have been  :-X

Im a lot more careful than i used to be.......and only work the 'office block' areas now......so business customers usually......

TBH if i could find something else to do that suits my lifestyle......i wouldnt hesitate to jump ship....

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2012, 07:54:31 »

Rather than bleating about it, next time complain to the company concerned, note his badge and plate number and their response and write to the licencing officer at the council.

But first, ask yourself this... How many times a day can you tolerate being asked the following questions:

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?
5. In response to which way would you like to go... Fastest and cheapest.(these are usually mutually exclusive)
6. That's a king rip off I'm not paying that... Used to get that alot just from putting the meter on, closely followed by 4.
7. What you going this way for?  uh because it's the shortest, and therefore cheapest route...

I would consider myself to be a reasonably tolerant person, but even I struggled to bite my tongue at times :-\

I dont envy your jobs putting up with that  :(
My mate is a driver for many years now and the stuff he's put up with is unbelievable , from all the above comments to physical abuse and rescuing other drivers from being beaten up and robbed  :(

I nearly went for a taxi driver job years ago until i found out the above ..

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2012, 10:22:57 »

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?

Not bleating about anything Al  ;)
Just making a point that not all drivers are saints  :)

I get in a taxi maybe twice a year and that is in a mates who drives for a firm in Hull so i know I won't be getting ripped off by some of the imigrant scum who have infested the cabby trade round here and this city in general.

Just for the record, I also did a stint at taxi driving about 18 years ago.
I lasted 3 weeks before I told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine for all the reasons you have mentioned.

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2012, 10:53:28 »

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?

I get in a taxi maybe twice a year and that is in a mates who drives for a firm in Hull so i know I won't be getting ripped off by some of the imigrant scum who have infested the cabby trade round here and this city in general.

I lasted 3 weeks before I told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine for all the reasons you have mentioned.

Happening everywhere mate, there was maybe one or two in my area 3 or 4 years ago, now virtually every cab has a  "foreigner" driving it.
When I first started driving taxis I had to sit a written and verbal tast conducted by 2 traffic officers who asked me questions on the rules of being a taxi driver, general knowledge of the car and set me a couple of route tests. This was on top of being visited at home by 2 police officers who visited every prospective driver just to get a "feel" for them.
Nowadays you fill in a form, get a couple of passport photos done and pay the fee. Ridiculous.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2012, 11:15:02 »

... big snip ....

Is that sort of racist, bigoted, provocative and downright rude language what this forum really wants or needs ???

I'm surprised the post didn't end with "vote BNP" or similar like half the posts seem to these days.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it is a free country, but with freedom comes responsibility, and there is a responsibility to be civil, and to remain within the law ... comments like that don't do either.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2012, 11:19:48 by Entwood »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2012, 11:57:13 »

Fair enough on the scum bit so i'll retract that word and only that word but believe me Nigel, if you had lived in this city as long as I have and seen the injustices that have happened in the last 20 years or so then you would understand why some subjects push my buttons so much.

As for the BNP, I have never voted for them or any of there cling on partys in my life.
If anything, i'm tory supporter which believe me, can get you a good kicking in this inbread city of mine.

As for this rasist tag, I'm far from believe me BUT I believe that rasism has turned 180 degree's in the last 20 years or so to the point that when SOME non whites use this stigma of the word to there advantage to get there own way.

I have quite a few friends who are of a different colour, religion or sexual orientation to me.
As a rule, I couldn't give a toss about any differences as long as we all get on and they don't try to use that difference to gain some sort of advantage around me.  If they ever did, they would get both barrels beleive me.

One thing nobody can ever accuse me of is being 2 faced (and that was not a acusation either)

Appoligies for the thread drift, but that needed clearing up  :)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2012, 12:09:07 »

Back to the subject of Taxi Drivers:

I have learnt a lot from this thread about all the regulations, and the "way of life" of the average cabbie :y :y :y

I think I now know why a taxi firm in Ashford, Arrow Taxi's always use Mercedes that I believe are no older than 5 years old.  In fact everywhere you go you see Arrow Taxi's, and their distinctive Merc's., even in London when they are fulfilling business contracts. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2012, 18:52:34 »

Accept the fact that most customer facing "service" jobs will result in being abused/threatened/assaulted. Its the nature of that type of work.

I packed it in, partly for the reasons people have mentioned. Although I must say, the pleasant ones made it worthwhile.
Grumpy old man

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2012, 21:36:43 »

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?

This brings back memories, I was a cabbie for 10 years, I really didnt want to go to work some nights but always went, you shouldnt have to go to work wondering if this is the night you get stabbed for your takings or just assaulted for no reason other than some t**t takes a dislike to you, I dont miss it.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2012, 22:26:18 »

1. Been busy?
2. How much do you earn?
3. Where are you from?

:-[ :-[ Mental note to self: Don't ask these questions in future. Opt for the embarrassing silence instead if I can't think of anything useful to say.  :y

Accept the fact that most customer facing "service" jobs will result in being abused/threatened/assaulted. Its the nature of that type of work.

I packed it in, partly for the reasons people have mentioned. Although I must say, the pleasant ones made it worthwhile.

Trying to visualize TB as Taxi Driver...................................................nope, it ain't happening.  ;) ;) ;D ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2012, 22:40:00 »

I reckon he'd actually be quite good ::) already spends all day muttering 'king retards grrr' ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2012, 06:56:41 »

I reckon he'd actually be quite good ::) already spends all day muttering 'king retards grrr' ;D

Nobody would ever travel with him again, the speed he drives at :D
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.