Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: urgent help - oil sump nut spinning, not coming out  (Read 2700 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: urgent help - oil sump nut spinning, not coming out
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2012, 14:38:18 »

I fitted a new sump plug in mine at the last oil change because the old one was threatening to behave as described.

I was concerned that the thread in the oil pan might be damaged but it looked to me as though the insert was steel and the plug was a softer alloy (with a visibly damaged thread)

The old plug felt 'wrong' as I was unscrewing it (I needed to use a ratchet to turn it). The new one screwed in sweetly by hand and nipped up nicely at the specified torque :)

Chances are that you won't need a new pan but if you don't know the oil change history of your car it gives you another reason to drop the pan and clean the crud out of the oil strainer......
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2012, 14:41:19 »

You will need a Heli-coil kit by the looks of it. Be careful if you drive it, keep the revs low & watch your oil pressure. You will more than likely need a new sump plug too.
p.s. Welcome back Lizzie  :y

Thanks! :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2012, 14:45:26 »

Hmm, not sure what's happened there, then. I'd certainly never do a sump plug on one of these up "tight" - torque wrench or not... simply 'cos such a low torque is required (due to the rubber O ring not needing much clamping force)

I have had it before when they've been abused in a past life, just let go upon normal doing up / undoing... but whatever the case..

1) if you don't trust it since you've struggled to get it out/in - don't drive it, if you think there's a risk it will dump the oil

2) If you can get it down to me sometime (if it's safe to drive) I'll gladly change the sump FOC if you bring one with you :y

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2012, 15:33:01 »

Hmm, not sure what's happened there, then. I'd certainly never do a sump plug on one of these up "tight" - torque wrench or not... simply 'cos such a low torque is required (due to the rubber O ring not needing much clamping force)

I have had it before when they've been abused in a past life, just let go upon normal doing up / undoing... but whatever the case..

1) if you don't trust it since you've struggled to get it out/in - don't drive it, if you think there's a risk it will dump the oil

2) If you can get it down to me sometime (if it's safe to drive) I'll gladly change the sump FOC if you bring one with you :y

Oil changes have been done quite frequently but all at VX so may have had a troubled past. James, I know you have done enough oil changes to know how tight these should be. I certainly don't think its your fault in any way. Thanks for the offer, but I dont trust driving it a mile down the road, let alone 100m! But if work brings you closer then may be a possibility. A how to would be be useful though.  :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2012, 16:16:59 »

Undo the M6 bolts, lever pan off with screwdriver (held with instant gasket), level sensor is bolted to base of pan and wiring runs up towards rear top of pan (rubber bung). When re-fitting use grey sealant (same as oil cooler)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Andyv6

• westmidlands
    • Elite 3.0, Vectra b3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2012, 17:01:10 »

Just done mine this weekend since I got the omega it has always spun so been doing oil changes by sucking it out the dipstick tube lol, the plug had been overtightened and stripped the thread at the lower end of the plug just got my 3/8 airgun on it spun it like mad and pushed it to one side, soon came out but replaced the lower pan with one I had lying around with the old style sump plug, will see if the thread in the original can be saved or not tomorrow when I get back to work.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2012, 23:34:36 »

Thanks for the guide Rob. Is the level sensor in the way of the sump coming out, ie. does it need removing before dropping the sump?

I will speak to andyc tomorrow about a new pan/plug. The major concern I have with this job is the 5+ litres of oil making a mess. Is it possible to bash the plug with a screwdriver/hammer and punching a hole in it? Dont want to get my drill covered in oil.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2012, 23:38:54 »

Thanks for the guide Rob. Is the level sensor in the way of the sump coming out, ie. does it need removing before dropping the sump?

It's bolted to the inside of the sump, so yes,it needs disconnecting to completely remove the sump ......... it's obvious when you unbolt the lower sump. Be careful of the wiring, it'll be brittle having spent its life in hot oil, mine broke a soldered connection.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2012, 23:40:15 »

Is it possible to bash the plug with a screwdriver/hammer and punching a hole in it?  ......

If you use a big enough hammer & suitable punch/chisel .........  ;) ;)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2012, 17:49:33 »

Bought a new oil pan off andyc today. Quite an expensive oil change  :P. Phoned another VX dealer to see what they would charge for this job - £255 inc. VAT + materials brings it to £360 !

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 November 2012, 12:20:00 »

Sorry,I'm a bit late reading this but Sealey do a sump bung repair set for about £50 which has slighly oversize taps and over size bungs,you simply choose the tap which is slightly bigger than what you have and re-tap hole and fit the over size bung supplied :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 November 2012, 14:59:28 »

I may be wrong but I don't think that will work because if the ally housing has come apart from the steel, retapping in the broken housing will still cause it to spin

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2012, 15:10:07 »

I may be wrong but I don't think that will work because if the ally housing has come apart from the steel, retapping in the broken housing will still cause it to spin

You may well be correct,not tried them on a vauxhall :-[
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 November 2012, 15:15:34 »

I don't understand why VX didn't have the plug screw straight into the steel?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.